Desperate Aircraft Request

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Re: Desperate Aircraft Request

Postby tomvaillencourt » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:26 pm

Looking good. I tried out the jodel today. Im hoping this one will have a pilot! Lol!
tomvaillencourt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Krispy1001 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:19 pm

tomvaillencourt wrote:Looking good. I tried out the jodel today. Im hoping this one will have a pilot! Lol!

Hi Tomvaillencourt!

What do you think of the Jodel?

It is just a beta version of the aircraft. I have several things that I need to fix. I need to add a 2d cockpit, add adjustment knobs for the instruments in the vc, adjust the contact points, and work on textures. Do you have any other suggestions?

Sorry, I have not been able to make a pilot that I would be willing to put into a plane. I have a hard time modeling organic objects.

So maybe once the project is complete and we release the first beta version of the aircraft, maybe we can get someone that can model a pilot for the aircraft.

Thanks, Krispy1001 ^-^
Living By Faith

Philippians 4:6

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell GOD what you need, and thank him for all he has done.(NLT)
Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:35 pm

Krispy1001 wrote:Sorry, I have not been able to make a pilot that I would be willing to put into a plane. I have a hard time modeling organic objects.

So maybe once the project is complete and we release the first beta version of the aircraft, maybe we can get someone that can model a pilot for the aircraft.

You could try Dave Eckert's pilot figure here --> http://www.freeflightdesign.org/fsds.html

It's used in many similar projects.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby tomvaillencourt » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:35 pm

Krispy1001 wrote:
tomvaillencourt wrote:Looking good. I tried out the jodel today. Im hoping this one will have a pilot! Lol!

Hi Tomvaillencourt!

It is just a beta version of the aircraft. I have several things that I need to fix. I need to add a 2d cockpit, add adjustment knobs for the instruments in the vc, adjust the contact points, and work on textures. Do you have any other suggestions?

Sorry, I have not been able to make a pilot that I would be willing to put into a plane. I have a hard time modeling organic objects.

Thanks, Krispy1001 ^-^

The Jodel, is in Beta, so I have to consider that, but overall it wasn't too bad. Its pretty basic for an FSX aircraft, but I understand you are limited to the software you are using. But it was Flyable, paintable and overall it worked, and that is leagues above anything I could ever make. Two Glaring issues outside of the missing pilot... The aircraft has a sound for landing gear retraction/extension and on the ground it will behave as if it was landed gear up if you have hit the gear command in flight. Gear down it behaves well. The other is the Attitude indicator. I don't know what that is indicating, but it seems to indicate more like a turn coordinator. After that maybe tweak the prop texture, and make the flight control response more realistic if possible and you will have a solid aircraft. The flight controls just need a little tweaking to make the aircraft feel a little more fluid. Pitch and roll rate seem very mechanical and do not vary with airspeed or attitude. However, (I do understand this stuff is very difficult to master when writing an AIR file, and because of that outside of slight tweaks I haven't worked on one since FS2004) How many other aircraft have you made for FSX? I only wish I could make some! LOL! Overall I think you have some talent, and depending on your software you might just get some really cool stuff out! I like your approach of doing the aircraft that haven't already been done a thousand times! Keep At it! I cant wait for the ultralight! However we will have to get a pilot for it.
tomvaillencourt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Krispy1001 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:04 pm

Hagar wrote:
Krispy1001 wrote:Sorry, I have not been able to make a pilot that I would be willing to put into a plane. I have a hard time modeling organic objects.

You could try Dave Eckert's pilot figure here --> http://www.freeflightdesign.org/fsds.html

Hi Hagar!

Thank you, I look into that pilot. And see if it comes in a format that I can use.

Thanks, Krispy1001 ^-^
Living By Faith

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell GOD what you need, and thank him for all he has done.(NLT)
Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Krispy1001 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:23 pm

tomvaillencourt wrote:
Krispy1001 wrote:

Hi Tomvaillencourt!

Thanks, Krispy1001 ^-^

The Jodel, is in Beta, so I have to consider that, but overall it wasn't too bad. Its pretty basic for an FSX aircraft, but I understand you are limited to the software you are using. But it was Flyable, paintable and overall it worked, and that is leagues above anything I could ever make. Two Glaring issues outside of the missing pilot... The aircraft has a sound for landing gear retraction/extension and on the ground it will behave as if it was landed gear up if you have hit the gear command in flight. Gear down it behaves well. The other is the Attitude indicator. I don't know what that is indicating, but it seems to indicate more like a turn coordinator. After that maybe tweak the prop texture, and make the flight control response more realistic if possible and you will have a solid aircraft. The flight controls just need a little tweaking to make the aircraft feel a little more fluid. Pitch and roll rate seem very mechanical and do not vary with airspeed or attitude. However, (I do understand this stuff is very difficult to master when writing an AIR file, and because of that outside of slight tweaks I haven't worked on one since FS2004) How many other aircraft have you made for FSX? I only wish I could make some! LOL! Overall I think you have some talent, and depending on your software you might just get some really cool stuff out! I like your approach of doing the aircraft that haven't already been done a thousand times! Keep At it! I cant wait for the ultralight! However we will have to get a pilot for it.

Hi tomvaillencourt!

Thanks, for downloading my Jodel and testing it for me.

The Jodel is my first complete aircraft that I have done for FSX. I have done smaller projects for my own use and for using in my video tutorials but that is about it. I have been using Blender for about 5 months now. So I have a lot more to learn.

I have started fixing some of the problems that you mentioned, but I did not know that I had a problem with the flight controls. I am not a pilot, so I do not know how the plane should really fly. The flight physics are beyond my ability. So I have purchased a software package that writes the .air file for me (AirWrench).

All of my instruments are 3D, so I had to write the html code for them. I am have a hard time getting the attitude instrument working correctly. I think you are correct, the instrument is behaving like the turn coordinator I may be using the incorrect variable for the instrument.

The landing gear, and flaps issue I have corrected already. I just have not issued an update for the plane yet. I will wait until I have all of the errors corrected then I will release another version of the plane.

I thank you very much for your input on the jodel. Thank you very much!

I will try to have more images of the ultralight project tomorrow.

Krispy1001 ^-^
Living By Faith

Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tomvaillencourt » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:01 pm

Hey, Anytime! Luckily I am a pilot in real life as well as at my desk! I actually own a Piper Cherokee 180 and I also hold a commercial and instrument rating in Helicopters! So hopefully I can be a resource there. Its cool that you picked up a program to help with the air files, Like I said, I have not worked on air files since FS2004 and before that I used to Mod airplanes for CFS and CFS2 and FS98 way back when people were first downloading aircraft. I think I still have a plane floating around here on simviation somewhere. Look for "VF_103_Pyro" I had a Tomcat that I had painted and tweaked. Its been a long time though since Ive uploaded anything, and have pretty much been just doing repaints for all my own FSX aircraft. Ireally don't even fly the freeware all that much anymore, so I hope I'm not too spoiled with payware. I don't want to be overly critical of the freeware. You are doing a great Job, and I'm glad I can help you out, and just by attempting to make an aircraft I have been asking for for almost a decade now (it seems) you are doing me a huge solid! I 've been asking for help getting one of these since FSX was forst released and I realized my LAGO ultralights from FS2004 wouldn't work. I also had alot of Bill Lyons stuff, and the Quad City Challengers which I loved too. Nobody really wanted to port over the Ultralights or even make new ones. So I thank you! Any help I can offer is my pleasure, Just please try not to be offended. Like I said, I've been too spoiled with a shamefully vast list of Payware scenery and aircraft, so I might forget that the freeware and independent Developer stuff is inherently much more simple by comparison. I will try to keep this in mind and be as constructive as I can! <<r
tomvaillencourt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tomvaillencourt » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:02 pm

Hagar wrote:

Thanks "Hagar" for the info! any options to make our quest a little easier is a welcomed one!
tomvaillencourt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:23 am

THis is so exciting to see a plane being born. Our hobby is so amazing where a request is posted & guys volunteer.

Thanks to all involved.. You guys rock!
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby tomvaillencourt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:27 pm

Krispy,

I was looking over the pictures of the airframe on page 2 of the thread and noticed one thing about the design I just want to comment on.

The boom that connects the tail surfaces is made up of only three struts. Two on bottom and one on top. The look of this is fine and if you intend to keep it that way, I understand, but I do see the merit in the Quicksilver design with four struts connecting the pilot chassis to the tail. First is when looking at your Dummy engine location (which I understand is just for the sake of appearance) The top tail boom strut definitely limits the location of the prop arc to be below the strut. This does however pose a small aerodynamic issue. In the quicksilver design you can see that the prop arc centers almost exactly so that the prop wash flows equally over the top and bottom surfaces of not only the main wing, but the empennage as well. Would it be too much work to replace the single top strut with two struts? That would allow the engine and prop to be raised higher thus placing the thrust line to center over the wing surfaces. Its just a thought that occurred to me and a suggestion, but ultimately this is your work and it looks great so far, so if you decide to keep it the way it is it is still going to be cool!
tomvaillencourt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Krispy1001 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:26 pm

zswobbie1 wrote:THis is so exciting to see a plane being born. Our hobby is so amazing where a request is posted & guys volunteer.

Thanks to all involved.. You guys rock!

Hi zswobbie1!

Thanks!

And thank you for reading the tread. Also when the plane gets to beta stages, we will need beta testers. If you are interested let me know.

Thanks, Krispy1001 ^-^
Living By Faith

Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Krispy1001 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:31 pm

tomvaillencourt wrote:Krispy,

I was looking over the pictures of the airframe on page 2 of the thread and noticed one thing about the design I just want to comment on.

The boom that connects the tail surfaces is made up of only three struts. Two on bottom and one on top. The look of this is fine and if you intend to keep it that way, I understand, but I do see the merit in the Quicksilver design with four struts connecting the pilot chassis to the tail. First is when looking at your Dummy engine location (which I understand is just for the sake of appearance) The top tail boom strut definitely limits the location of the prop arc to be below the strut. This does however pose a small aerodynamic issue. In the quicksilver design you can see that the prop arc centers almost exactly so that the prop wash flows equally over the top and bottom surfaces of not only the main wing, but the empennage as well. Would it be too much work to replace the single top strut with two struts? That would allow the engine and prop to be raised higher thus placing the thrust line to center over the wing surfaces. Its just a thought that occurred to me and a suggestion, but ultimately this is your work and it looks great so far, so if you decide to keep it the way it is it is still going to be cool!

Hi Tomvaillencourt!

No problem, I can change that very easy.

Here is another image of the plane so far. I will make the changes to the air frame tomorrow and post it.

Thanks, Krispy1001 ^-^
Living By Faith

Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Krispy1001 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:52 pm

tomvaillencourt wrote:Hey, Anytime! Luckily I am a pilot in real life as well as at my desk! I actually own a Piper Cherokee 180 and I also hold a commercial and instrument rating in Helicopters! So hopefully I can be a resource there. Its cool that you picked up a program to help with the air files, Like I said, I have not worked on air files since FS2004 and before that I used to Mod airplanes for CFS and CFS2 and FS98 way back when people were first downloading aircraft. I think I still have a plane floating around here on simviation somewhere. Look for "VF_103_Pyro" I had a Tomcat that I had painted and tweaked. Its been a long time though since Ive uploaded anything, and have pretty much been just doing repaints for all my own FSX aircraft. Ireally don't even fly the freeware all that much anymore, so I hope I'm not too spoiled with payware. I don't want to be overly critical of the freeware. You are doing a great Job, and I'm glad I can help you out, and just by attempting to make an aircraft I have been asking for for almost a decade now (it seems) you are doing me a huge solid! I 've been asking for help getting one of these since FSX was forst released and I realized my LAGO ultralights from FS2004 wouldn't work. I also had alot of Bill Lyons stuff, and the Quad City Challengers which I loved too. Nobody really wanted to port over the Ultralights or even make new ones. So I thank you! Any help I can offer is my pleasure, Just please try not to be offended. Like I said, I've been too spoiled with a shamefully vast list of Payware scenery and aircraft, so I might forget that the freeware and independent Developer stuff is inherently much more simple by comparison. I will try to keep this in mind and be as constructive as I can! <<r

Hi Tomvaillencourt!

Yes, you being a pilot will be a very good resource for this project. And your input will be very appreciated.

No, I do not model payware quality models. But I am getting better with each model that I make. I also have decided that I will not make payware aircraft. I want to keep my modeling for FSX as a hobby. But I would enjoy working with a team of freeware developers on a project sometime. I think that would be a fun experience.

This project may not be payware quality but I will do my best.

Thanks, Krispy1001 ^-^
Living By Faith

Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tomvaillencourt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:18 pm

Looks amazing so far! I cant wait! I really like how its coming together!
tomvaillencourt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Krispy1001 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:12 am

tomvaillencourt wrote:Looks amazing so far! I cant wait! I really like how its coming together!

Hi Tomvaillencourt!

Here is an image or for changes to the air-frame.

Thanks, Krispy1001 ^-^
Living By Faith

Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design