Desperate Aircraft Request

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Re: Desperate Aircraft Request

Postby Krispy1001 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:28 pm

tomvaillencourt wrote:For years now, since the release of FSX, I have been desperately wanting models of Quicksilver Ultralights single and dual seat models for FSX. I am not the only one, I have seen many forum posts with interest in these aircraft. They are the pioneer of Ultralight aircraft and continue to be the top selling ultralight manufacturer, yet despite this no one has made any for FSX. Now with the boom in High resolution realistic scenery, getting down low and slow is even more desireable, and there are very few decent ultralights out there. Ant's Drifter is a great aircraft, but for Quicksilver lovers, its just not quite the same...
Is there any way someone out there could relieve us of these desperate fruitless searches for these Quicksilver Airplanes and finally make them for those of us who love grass roots wire braced ultralights? It would really be nice to finally be able to fly these in FSX before the game becomes obsolete.
The quicksilver GT400 and GT500 are good, but what I and others have been looking for are the MX series of models. Lago used to have one for FS2004, and theres one for FS2000, but nothing for FSX.
Thanks for your consideration,

Tom

EDIT - Due to images in this thread uploaded to another site which now seem to have expired - images are no longer showing in this thread. Luckily the information is still available at this site

Hi tomvaillencourt!

I would be very willing to make those planes. I want to make planes that the FSX community would really enjoy. I do not want to make the very same planes that are already flooding FSX Freeware. That is why I have started modeling the BMW Schnellbomber I. I have not seen a model for it for FSX. But I would be willing to put it on the back burner to model an aircraft that more people are interested in. I have had only two people that showed any interest in the plane.

If you can get me images for the aircraft that you want modeled, images that have three views top, front, and side, I will start the model. I would like to request that if you do decide that you would like for me to make the aircraft, that you would be an active contributor to the project. By being a beta tester for the model. I will give credits to you as the requester of the aircraft and as the lead beta tester. Everyone that contributes to the model will get credit.

If you would like to see my work. You can download the Jodel D112 Aircraft that I just released at this website last week. Here is the link: http://simviation.com/1/browse-Props-62-0 It is a beta of the aircraft.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks, Krispy1001 ^-^
Living By Faith

Philippians 4:6

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell GOD what you need, and thank him for all he has done.(NLT)
Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tomvaillencourt » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:18 am

I would definitely be interested. However, I have not flown these particular aircraft in real life, so I'm not sure how much value my input would be in that regard. (I am a commercially licensed airplane and helicopter pilot though!)

Over the many years I have used FSX and previous versions of MSFS I have always had less interest in the heavy iron, and have focused all my time on small GA aircraft, vintage, and have attempted to find good ultralights. The Ultralight and Light sport segment is baron at best, even Simviation would have a hard time in their "gliders and Ultralights" section if not for the Gliders, which are aplenty.

I have, many times over the years, gone online in search of Ultralights in the way of the pioneer Ultralights of the 1980's. Namely the Quicksilver models, which remain to this day true to their roots as beautifully simple strut or wire braced,open cockpit, in the wind "flying lawn-chairs" from which the world below can be viewed as a bird would see it. Over the last few years as Ive seen awesome progress with scenery developed by ORBX and environmental packages by REX and a few others, I really hoped for some better aircraft for getting low and slow and exploring these high definition views, but Few have emerged.

The Quicksilver Ultralights and Light Sport models of today are very similar to the originals, and would make wonderful additions to anyones stable who appreciates the views and the journey more than the destination.

Visit the Quicksilver Aircraft website (Quicksilveraircraft.com) to see their amazing little machines. The models I personally would like to see are not the GT400 or GT500 models which have enclosed cockpits, but the open air models are what I'm after. The "Sport 2S" "MX Sprint II" "MX Sport" and "MX Sprint" are the models I would like to see. If you look for the individual brochure links on the site, each contains the three views you are looking for as well as detailed dimensions of the craft.

I've seen many people over the years start and abandon these aircraft projects, for one reason or another, but if you look at the forum threads where they announced their intentions to make them and where they posted updates, there were lots of followers who were on pins and needles with anticipation of their release. It just never happened.

I'm on board with you if you need a tester for beta's, however, I do not have modeling experience beyond basic livery painting. however I can give good feedback as to the end user perspective of detail, accuracy, and usability of the aircraft.

Please let me know if I can help in any way or if you need any additional information. Keep me posted! you can email me at "tomvaillencourt"at symbol"hotmail.com"

Thank you so much for making this attempt, and bringing us all a welcome reprieve from airliners and enclosed cockpit craft!!!
tomvaillencourt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Krispy1001 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:17 am

tomvaillencourt wrote:I would definitely be interested. However, I have not flown these particular aircraft in real life, so I'm not sure how much value my input would be in that regard. (I am a commercially licensed airplane and helicopter pilot though!)

Over the many years I have used FSX and previous versions of MSFS I have always had less interest in the heavy iron, and have focused all my time on small GA aircraft, vintage, and have attempted to find good ultralights. The Ultralight and Light sport segment is baron at best, even Simviation would have a hard time in their "gliders and Ultralights" section if not for the Gliders, which are aplenty.

I have, many times over the years, gone online in search of Ultralights in the way of the pioneer Ultralights of the 1980's. Namely the Quicksilver models, which remain to this day true to their roots as beautifully simple strut or wire braced,open cockpit, in the wind "flying lawn-chairs" from which the world below can be viewed as a bird would see it. Over the last few years as Ive seen awesome progress with scenery developed by ORBX and environmental packages by REX and a few others, I really hoped for some better aircraft for getting low and slow and exploring these high definition views, but Few have emerged.

The Quicksilver Ultralights and Light Sport models of today are very similar to the originals, and would make wonderful additions to anyones stable who appreciates the views and the journey more than the destination.

Visit the Quicksilver Aircraft website (Quicksilveraircraft.com) to see their amazing little machines. The models I personally would like to see are not the GT400 or GT500 models which have enclosed cockpits, but the open air models are what I'm after. The "Sport 2S" "MX Sprint II" "MX Sport" and "MX Sprint" are the models I would like to see. If you look for the individual brochure links on the site, each contains the three views you are looking for as well as detailed dimensions of the craft.

I've seen many people over the years start and abandon these aircraft projects, for one reason or another, but if you look at the forum threads where they announced their intentions to make them and where they posted updates, there were lots of followers who were on pins and needles with anticipation of their release. It just never happened.

I'm on board with you if you need a tester for beta's, however, I do not have modeling experience beyond basic livery painting. however I can give good feedback as to the end user perspective of detail, accuracy, and usability of the aircraft.

Please let me know if I can help in any way or if you need any additional information. Keep me posted! you can email me at "tomvaillencourt"at symbol"hotmail.com"

Thank you so much for making this attempt, and bringing us all a welcome reprieve from airliners and enclosed cockpit craft!!!

Hi tomvaillencourt!

We will tackle this project together. I am very happy to model an aircraft that not many other models are trying to model. And it helps a lot if you have someone that is willing to help. No problem if you can not model. You can help a lot just by being an aircraft beta tester and quality control person for the aircraft. It would also be nice if you could help with painting. Painting is a very important part of a model. You can have a very good modeled aircraft but if it does not have a nice paint job it hurts the overall quality of the aircraft. Texturing is one of the areas that I have trouble with. I am still learning how to make nice textures. So it would help very much if you could paint the aircraft. Or if you could find someone else that would like to join our project that can help paint the aircraft. (Everyone that helps with the project will get Credits!)

The first thing that we need to do is research the aircraft models that you mentioned in your thread. We need to find 2d images (Blue prints) for the models. Finding a good (Blue print) for the aircraft will decide which aircraft that we will start on. I Visited the Quicksilver Aircraft website (Quicksilveraircraft.com) that you told me about in your thread. I did not find a (Blue print) for any of the models. So that is our fist challenge!

I will setup a special project folder on my FTP site of my website for our project. That will let anyone that joins our project to upload, and download images and files for the project. I will let you know when I have this ready.

Thank you, Krispy1001(Kris) ^-^
Living By Faith

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell GOD what you need, and thank him for all he has done.(NLT)
Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tomvaillencourt » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:23 pm

I'm having a heck of a time finding the wire frame views you are looking for, I can only find the small ones in the brochures. I'm also wondering if any copyright issues may arrise by making a SPECIFIC aircraft. Would Quicksilver aircraft have to issue some licensing or permissions for this?

You know I have another idea that may or may not be a good one... If you were to create a generic facsimile which was very similar yet not identical to that aircraft, than you may not need to aquire special permissions...

If that was the plan I found and bookmarked this link years ago which may or may not be of some use! its an ultralight 3d model that only needs a pilot, and is $119.00 for a royalty free license. I think this would be a great headstart if it coult be converted to FSX compatability! Take a look: http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d- ... hts/660360
tomvaillencourt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Krispy1001 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:12 pm

tomvaillencourt wrote:I'm having a heck of a time finding the wire frame views you are looking for, I can only find the small ones in the brochures. I'm also wondering if any copyright issues may arrise by making a SPECIFIC aircraft. Would Quicksilver aircraft have to issue some licensing or permissions for this?

You know I have another idea that may or may not be a good one... If you were to create a generic facsimile which was very similar yet not identical to that aircraft, than you may not need to aquire special permissions...

If that was the plan I found and bookmarked this link years ago which may or may not be of some use! its an ultralight 3d model that only needs a pilot, and is $119.00 for a royalty free license. I think this would be a great headstart if it coult be converted to FSX compatability! Take a look: http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d- ... hts/660360

Hi tomvaillencourt!

No, we do not have to worry about a license. I only develop freeware.

And no company logos are used on the aircraft that I model. So we do not have to worry about that.

Yes, I am having a very hard time finding any type of blue print for the model. So I will just make the model as close to the original as I can.

I have already started modeling the air frame for the aircraft. Next week I will post some images so that you can look at them, and give me some feed back.

Thanks, Krispy1001 ^-^
Living By Faith

Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tomvaillencourt » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:59 am

AWESOME! I think some good images may be available in the assembly manuals, but I'm not sure how much of it is exploded views of smaller assemblies and how many plan view and profile views are available of the Finished aircraft. Can't wait to see your pictures. I wish I could be more help.
tomvaillencourt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Krispy1001 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:01 am

tomvaillencourt wrote:AWESOME! I think some good images may be available in the assembly manuals, but I'm not sure how much of it is exploded views of smaller assemblies and how many plan view and profile views are available of the Finished aircraft. Can't wait to see your pictures. I wish I could be more help.

Hi tomvaillencourt!

Here are some pictures of what I have done on the aircraft so far.

Thanks, Krispy1001 ^-^

Living By Faith

Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tomvaillencourt » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:25 pm

Looking good so far! What is the angle of dihedral you're using? If I'm not mistaken its either 3 or 5 degrees on each side. I want to say 5 because I remember reading somewhere it was 10 degrees across the span. yours is looking good so far.
I know its tougher when you don't have wire frame pictures to work with, but Keep it up! you're on a roll!
tomvaillencourt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tomvaillencourt » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:37 pm

Maybe these will help?

MX Sport Profile.jpg
MX Sport Profile.jpg (104.29 KiB) Viewed 8121 times

MX Sport Nose.jpg
MX Sport Nose.jpg (89.15 KiB) Viewed 8121 times

MX Sport Plan.jpg
MX Sport Plan.jpg (100.11 KiB) Viewed 8121 times
tomvaillencourt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Krispy1001 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:37 pm

tomvaillencourt wrote:Looking good so far! What is the angle of dihedral you're using? If I'm not mistaken its either 3 or 5 degrees on each side. I want to say 5 because I remember reading somewhere it was 10 degrees across the span. yours is looking good so far.
I know its tougher when you don't have wire frame pictures to work with, but Keep it up! you're on a roll!

Hi tomvaillencourt!

Thank you for the images that you found! They are much better than the images that I found. Now about the wire frames, I do not need wire frames because that would mean that we would be using some else's work. A blue print is a 2 drawing of an object that has at least 2 to 3 views. And all of the views are drawn to scale to each other. I thought I would let you know what I meant by I needed (Blue Prints) for the model.

The images that you found a very good. They may not be completely to scale but they are better than what I have. Thank you!!!!

Now to answer your question on dihedral? Thank you for giving me that information. I have set the aircrafts dihedral to 5% giving it a 10% overall wing-tip to wing-tip.

I am change the design of the body just a little. I will give you more details later. Because we are not doing an exact copy of the original aircraft. What do you think of the name altraMax 1 for the aircraft name?

I added a dummy engine and prop to the aircraft, just as a reference.

Here are a few new images of the aircraft.

Thanks, Krispy1001

Living By Faith

Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tomvaillencourt » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:19 pm

Looking Excellent so far! The dihedral looks perfect, And pusher configuration is a must. Do I see a steerable nose wheel in the works there? King-post and wires or struts? I vote wires, but that's just my preference. I like the vintage basic look and believe it or not, wire bracing, although draggy, is actually stronger than strut bracing in many cases. I would also leave the wheels open (without fairings) as they are better in the grass which is where these are most at home. I love seeing this thing taking shape. I know some good painters who use Photoshop or Gimp to do their paints, I only use FSRepaint, which is limited at best. I can try and do some recruiting as the model comes along. I love how its taking shape though! you're quick. I actually tried at one point to figure out gmax because I wanted the MX so bad. That failed. Your aircraft looks very close! cant wait to see how the rest of the empennage takes shape! Nice work!
As for getting the 3 views to scale those three images were actually cropped from one image in which they are drawn to scale with one another if you like I can try to upload it as a single image. Or you can go here and view it and zoom it as you require. --> http://www.quicksilveraircraft.com/imag ... 0003-1.pdf
tomvaillencourt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Krispy1001 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:53 pm

tomvaillencourt wrote:Looking Excellent so far! The dihedral looks perfect, And pusher configuration is a must. Do I see a steerable nose wheel in the works there? King-post and wires or struts? I vote wires, but that's just my preference. I like the vintage basic look and believe it or not, wire bracing, although draggy, is actually stronger than strut bracing in many cases. I would also leave the wheels open (without fairings) as they are better in the grass which is where these are most at home. I love seeing this thing taking shape. I know some good painters who use Photoshop or Gimp to do their paints, I only use FSRepaint, which is limited at best. I can try and do some recruiting as the model comes along. I love how its taking shape though! you're quick. I actually tried at one point to figure out gmax because I wanted the MX so bad. That failed. Your aircraft looks very close! cant wait to see how the rest of the empennage takes shape! Nice work!
As for getting the 3 views to scale those three images were actually cropped from one image in which they are drawn to scale with one another if you like I can try to upload it as a single image. Or you can go here and view it and zoom it as you require. --> http://www.quicksilveraircraft.com/imag ... 0003-1.pdf

Hi tomvaillencourt!

Thanks!
Yes, I am adding a steerable nose wheel to the aircraft. It seemed silly to me to not be able to steer an aircraft.

I also think that the aircraft would look best with King-posts and wires for extra wing support. Yes, and I also think that it would look best to leave the wheels with out any type of fairings. I was also thinking about using a little larger wheels, so that the aircraft could land on most landing surfaces. What do you think?

I think it would be great if you could recruite a person or persons to texture the aircraft. Let Them know that they will get credits. Also let them know that I will UV unwrap the objects. So all they will have to concentrate on is the texturing.

Don't give up on modeling. It is so much fun and very rewarding to see something that you have been working on, being enjoyed by other people. If you are interested in learning to use Blinder, Please read my thread on Using Blender to make models for FSX. Here is the link: http://forums.simviation.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=171746 I have made a series of video tutorial on the subject. I have also released my complete Jodel Blender Project as a learning tool for new Blender users.

Here are a few more images of the aircraft.

Thanks, Krispy1001 ^-^
Living By Faith

Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tomvaillencourt » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:59 pm

Looking good! I assume the control surfaces will be further aft of what is shown, not cut into the existing planes? If so its gonna look good!
tomvaillencourt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Krispy1001 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:20 pm

tomvaillencourt wrote:Looking good! I assume the control surfaces will be further aft of what is shown, not cut into the existing planes? If so its gonna look good!

Yes, that is correct. The elevator, rudder, and ailerons will be added aft of each main surface.

Tomvaillencort, could you please e-mail so that I will have your e-mail address? I have your account setup on my FTP site and I would like to send you the information. My e-mail address is krispy1001@kp-coolstuff.com

I am going to sign of for tonight.

Thanks, Krispy1001 ^-^
Living By Faith

Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Krispy1001 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:47 pm

Hi tomvaillencourt!

Here is another image of what I have done on the aircraft.

Thanks, Krispy1001 ^-^
Living By Faith

Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design