AWESOME contrail request

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

AWESOME contrail request

Postby Speed of flight » Tue May 13, 2014 1:04 pm

I have a request for info about something that's bothered me in FSX for years.
Ever really look at your contrails? They've left a lot of room for improvement. Although thankful they're present, I certainly would like to know how to improve them.
If you've flown in the sim, then you know that they look something like this:

But in reality, they have life, volume, and seem to have behavior patterns, where they swirl around from the wingtips, curl over, and continue to curl long after the airplane has passed. There's physical/scientific terms for all these effects and phenomena, but for simplicity...

The detail is poor as stock, and I'm sure that the current effect file is all that needs to be edited. I don't really know how to do much of this. I've tried blender, and a few other programs, but it seems like all I can do with it is eliminate unsuccessful attempts at changing something.

(Edit) I am aware of a couple 3rd-party programs that modify these effects, but none have really "hit the nail on the head", so to speak.
Does anybody know how to "decode" the parameters of FX files? Not really change the image associated with it, but rather modify the file that tells the image how to behave? I know they have a structure in the .fx notepad file, but I don't know which line or parameter makes the thing do what.
If stock airplanes and AI stuff had great contrails, it would add so much to the sim. I think that it may be simpler than I think, but I don't know.

Coaching, anyone?
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z, NB & FSB @2608 MHz
AMD 8350 @ 5.02 GHz 1.524V (200.6 x 25)
Corsair H100i
16GB GSkill Trident @ 2133 MHz C10
Asus 7870 2 GB 1200core/5500mem
Samsung 250GB SSD
RaidMax 1200W
Cooler Master HAF 932
Windows 7 x64
VRS Superbug/TacPack, Iris A-10A, PMDG 77W, 744 and MD-11
REX texture direct, FTX Global
Speed of flight
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: AWESOME contrail request

Postby garryrussell » Sun May 18, 2014 4:17 am

3D effects are in a way little seperate 3D models that behave in a pre defined way. Configuring them can make changes but only within the parameters of the effects limits.

To make effects work truly realistically would entail very complex base effect models and they would take up enormous amounts of resources to the point where some systems may not be able to run them.

For what you want, you'd need to redesigned the whole base effect and the way it interacts with the base coding of the game. This is not a modifcation that can be done simply and perhaps not even something that could be achieved in any practicle form.

You would have to start with a completly black sheet and extensive knowledge of exactly how FS is coded.
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Re: AWESOME contrail request

Postby OldAirmail » Sun May 18, 2014 6:57 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Magnificent!

Clearly and concisely written.

If I had a hat, I'd take it off to you. :D
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design