Spinning Disks....

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Spinning Disks....

Postby Fozzer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:24 am

Hello Chums... :D ...!

FSX!

Image

The old perennial problem: Translucent spinning propeller disks in FS 2002 and FS 2004 aircraft when used in FSX.

They cast shadows on the ground and also appear behind clouds, etc...!

Can they be modified (texture?) in any way to make them appear correctly in FSX?

I have very few problems in using the aircraft from older Sim versions in FSX...its just these annoying propeller disks!

Most of my favourite aircraft are FS 2002 and FS 2004 models!

Any ideas Chums?... :roll: ....or cant it be done?.... :cry: ....!

Paul...in a bit of a spin!... ;) ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
User avatar
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 27336
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:11 pm
Location: Hereford. England. EGBS.

Re: Spinning Disks....

Postby papituwall » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:10 pm

You need to change the rotor texture of your gyroplane for another.

1-Go to the texture folder oy this gyroplane and look for something like "propdisk" "prop" etc. As far as I know all texture files for propellers, rotors etc. contain the word "prop".

2-Open one of the texture folders of, for instance, the default FSX Robinson R22 an you will see the file Prop_R22_1

3-Replace the "prop xxxx" of the gyroplane with Prop_R22_1

That should work. You can use other "prop" textures of any of the other Helicopters.

Good luck!
User avatar
papituwall
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: LEZG

Re: Spinning Disks....

Postby Fozzer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:45 pm

papituwall wrote:You need to change the rotor texture of your gyroplane for another.

1-Go to the texture folder oy this gyroplane and look for something like "propdisk" "prop" etc. As far as I know all texture files for propellers, rotors etc. contain the word "prop".

2-Open one of the texture folders of, for instance, the default FSX Robinson R22 an you will see the file Prop_R22_1

3-Replace the "prop xxxx" of the gyroplane with Prop_R22_1

That should work. You can use other "prop" textures of any of the other Helicopters.

Good luck!


Many thanks for the tip, Papi.... :D ...!

I will give it a try!

I suppose it matters not whether the prop is mounted horizontally (Helicopter), or vertically (Aircraft), the "texture" will be the same?

My Gyrocopters/Gyroplanes contain both types: Rotor and Pusher Prop.

Its the only major problem I have in using my lovely FS 2002/FS 2004 aircraft in my FSX!

There must be something different between the prop textures used in FS 2002/FS 2004, compared to the prop textures used in FSX!

A different design program, or paint program, or a different use of the program?... :roll: ....!

Many thanks again!

I'm sure it will be a useful tip for many FS2004+FSX Pilots out there... ;) ...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
User avatar
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 27336
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:11 pm
Location: Hereford. England. EGBS.

Re: Spinning Disks....

Postby Hagar » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:59 pm

Paul. That rotor disk doesn't look textured to me. In that case there's nothing you can do to fix it.

The prop disk texture can be tweaked on some FS9 aircraft but these will still have some display bugs like the ground shadow & disappearing behind clouds. There is no magic fix.
Image

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Picasa gallery
My Flickr albums
User avatar
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 30807
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:15 am
Location: Costa Geriatrica

Re: Spinning Disks....

Postby Fozzer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Hagar wrote:Paul. That rotor disk doesn't look textured to me. In that case there's nothing you can do to fix it.

The prop disk texture can be tweaked on some FS9 aircraft but these will still have some display bugs like the ground shadow & disappearing behind clouds. There is no magic fix.


Hello Doug...

I've been waiting for you to pop in with some suggestions!

It always seems funny that the Prop disk problem cant be fixed in some way for use in FSX....

...I wonder why?
There must be some reason?

There seems little or no problems with the FS 2004 airframe textures when used in FSX.

Paul....I need Magic!..... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
User avatar
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 27336
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:11 pm
Location: Hereford. England. EGBS.

Re: Spinning Disks....

Postby Hagar » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:05 am

Fozzer wrote:
Hagar wrote:Paul. That rotor disk doesn't look textured to me. In that case there's nothing you can do to fix it.

The prop disk texture can be tweaked on some FS9 aircraft but these will still have some display bugs like the ground shadow & disappearing behind clouds. There is no magic fix.


Hello Doug...

I've been waiting for you to pop in with some suggestions!

It always seems funny that the Prop disk problem cant be fixed in some way for use in FSX....

...I wonder why?
There must be some reason?

There seems little or no problems with the FS 2004 airframe textures when used in FSX.

Paul....I need Magic!..... :mrgreen: ...!

It's something to do with the way FSX handles the display priority of objects compared with FS2002/4. Many older FSDS aircraft did not use textured prop disks or other transparent parts so those created in Gmax are usually better in this respect.
Image

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Picasa gallery
My Flickr albums
User avatar
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 30807
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:15 am
Location: Costa Geriatrica

Re: Spinning Disks....

Postby Fozzer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:48 am

Many thanks for the explanation, Doug!... :D ...!

Its such a shame that they cant easily be modified to fit FSX!

Many/most of my favourite aircraft are ONLY available as FS 2002/FS 2004 Models.

Normally it doesn't affect me when I fly from the cockpit, the prop disks just look strange when viewed from the outside, spot view, etc!

Never mind... I must remember to stay in the cockpit!.... :D ...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
User avatar
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 27336
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:11 pm
Location: Hereford. England. EGBS.

Re: Spinning Disks....

Postby Hagar » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:04 am

It depends on the aircraft Paul. Each developer has their own way of doing things. I've converted lots of FS9 aircraft for my own use in FSX. Many FS9 models will display nicely in FSX with a couple of simple tweaks. They will still suffer with the usual bugs (like prop disks disappearing behind clouds) but this is not a huge problem for me. I'll give you some examples here when I get a few moments.

Note: The original RTM version of FSX does not suffer from these problems. They appeared with SP1 & SP2. That's the reason so many so-called 'FSX updates' have display problems when used in FSX + SP2 or Acceleration.
Image

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Picasa gallery
My Flickr albums
User avatar
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 30807
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:15 am
Location: Costa Geriatrica

Re: Spinning Disks....

Postby papituwall » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:35 am

Thanks Hagar! I forgot "if the plane has propeller textures".

Good luck Fozzer!.

NOTE 1: Same procedure can be used replacing cockpit glass textures, sometimes it is very difficult to "catch" the texture to replace.

NOTE 2: Steve's DX10 fix, is very recommended, it solves a lot of compatibility texture problems.
User avatar
papituwall
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: LEZG


Return to Aircraft & 3D Design

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 114 guests