Inserting a panel in a compiled mdl

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Inserting a panel in a compiled mdl

Postby Jezza G » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 am

Hi all, its been many years since I've been around a FS builders community so forgive me if I'm a little rusty.

I have previously made and released a few aircraft for FSX but due to a hard drive crash a few years ago I lost a good deal of work and never had the heart to return to it. However I was wondering if any tools have surfaced allowing the modification of compiled MDL's or adding to them or a workaround? I know people may not want to talk about them in public but I have a good reason for asking.

Before the crash I almost completed a pretty high quality BD-5j, as of right now only IRIS's model is of that quality. Because during the crash I lost my build drive with source files but not the one with my FSX install so I still had the build model in the directory. I decided to store it for a later date, apart from the pilot It's missing one thing and that is the virtual panel poly so I could fit it with gauges. I'd really like to give this out to the community but without the panel it's pretty useless. I wouldn't mind if someone else wanted a go at modifying it and putting it out providing they can show me they're competent and know how to achieve this.
At this moment I have no tools installed but would put them back in if I thought I could finish my work.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Jez.
These are some screenys from the original build and a few renders I made during construction.

Jezza G
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Inserting a panel in a compiled mdl

Postby garryrussell » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:24 am

The truth is there are not any programmes and that is largely to do with preventing models being decompiled.

Now, some say there is a way...can't think of the name but I still maintain a 'no' stance.

This is because programmes that do decompile get you nowhere. You end up with a load of parts without animation texture materials and not in position or having any names of any use....just un texture shapes

It is such a mess trying to sort out what is what and where it goes and how it would be far quicker just to start again.

Since these are your projects you would be able to reuse much of it as you'd know why the parts are made as they are but it would still be a major job. This is why I keep so many backups.
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Postby Jezza G » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:59 am

Thanks for the reply garry, I suspected as much. I remember a model ripper being about but as you said it would be easier build a new aircraft than use that. I was thinking along the lines of possibly adding another mdl to it to put in the poly for the VC. Its been so long though I don't know if its even possible to have another vc mdl or if you're limited to one?
Jezza G
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garryrussell » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:51 am

If all you want to do is add a VC you should be OK in FS.X as the VC model is seperate and not incorporated in the model as before

Best way if to just make a simple object as a VC, do the biz and see if it appears.
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Postby Jezza G » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:55 am

The VC it has right now is quite accurate to the model I think that would null the reason for releasing the aircraft as its got a seriously detailed VC right now. All I want to do is inject a poly into it to put the dials on so I wonder if you are limted to the single VC mdl or if you can add another? building up a second mdl for just a single poly and overlapping it would be the ideal solution if that's possible.
Jezza G
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design