REX 3D contrails editing

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

REX 3D contrails editing

Postby Speed of flight » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:58 pm

Not really sure where this topic should have gone, so I'm starting it here.

A long time ago, I ended up with (and not really sure how) that (in)famous REX 3D contrail effect. The other day, as I was scrolling through various screenshots, I saw one with these HUGE voluminous contrails. I remembered how much I liked them, and tried them again.
Then I remembered why I removed it. it is a very busy little effect, and can seriously put the crunch on a third-from the top video card.
Even with 1 GB DDR5, it's still so busy making dang contrails that the scenery can go blurry.

Here's my question for the community:
I've tried learning all I can about this effect, as well as others. I've tried to edit it myself, and got some crazy results, and alas have given up.
It's mainly because I don't know what I'm doing with it. All I can do is try something, and see if it screws it up. I drag it to notepad, change something, and see what it did. That's not the only way to learn, though.

I want to post the .fx file, but I don't know if it's freeware or not, so I don't know if I get in trouble for doing so.
Does anybody have a great mind for knowing how to edit effects? There's particle stuff, trajectories, vectors, all kinds of things I can screw up. I just want it to be slightly less busy.

:doh: :x :?: :think:
Speed of flight
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: REX 3D contrails editing

Postby garryrussell » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:50 pm

What difference does freeware or payware make?

It's someone else's addon so you should not be playing with it without permission
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Postby BE58D » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:15 pm

garryrussell wrote:What difference does freeware or payware make?

It's someone else's addon so you should not be playing with it without permission

He can play around with it all he wants, payware or freeware! To share with others (upload), then permission is needed.
BE58D
Major
Major

Postby Speed of flight » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:11 pm

I can't believe that first response. Have you some nerve.
So, I have it, it's mine, I can do with it as I please, as long as I don't freely share it about.

So, if someone wants to stir the pot, all they need do is ask a simple question. That's all it seems to take anymore. How can this place be called a community anymore?
Just forget it.
Speed of flight
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design