What is overclocking?

Ideas, suggestions, tips & questions on how to supercharge your PC or software!

Re: What is overclocking?

Postby Fozzer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:29 am

Overclocking = The sudden death of your computer, and all its associated Hardware, resulting in the considerable expense of replacing components, or purchasing another complete computer.

Leave well alone!.... ;)...!
Trust me!

You appear to be having more than enough problems already, with your existing Flight Simulator programs, etc... :o... ;)... ;D...!
You don't need to tempt providence with any more experiments!

Paul... ;D...!
Last edited by Fozzer on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Gregorio » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:28 am

Overclocking is basically boosting the processor to work beyond its published clock frequency. Say you have a processor that works at 2.8GHz (your case). You would go into the BIOS and change parameters that would make it work, for example, up to 3.5GHz.

The thing is, this is not for every processor and also depends on both the processor and the bios letting you change said parameters. The main problem when overclocking is heat - processors get very hot and getting them to run at higher clock frequencies makes them even hotter, so overclocking also requires rethinking yourn colling apparatus - from changing coolers and heatsinks to going liquid-cooled if you' really into it. As I said this depends on the processor and BIOS having features unlocked and available that you can change so that you make it run faster. And, as Fozzer already pointed out, you increase the risk of damaging your hardware.

With the rise of the overclocking phenomena, manufacturers saw an enthusiasts market there so there are processors that come already prepared for that - for example the Core i7 3770K, which comes with the necessary multipliers unlocked. I've seen videos of people running FSX with other "K series" processors from Intel at 4.5GHz!! As always, this is not without the risk of getting hardware damaged.

All things considered, you're better off not overclocking your hardware. Best option is to buy a new set with more up-to-date parts. You should do it only, and I repeat, ONLY if you (1) are an enthusiast of the technique and (2) are aware and accept all the risks involved, including bricking your processor and/or other parts.

Hope this helps!
Gregorio
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:41 am

One thing I have never done with all of my many computer builds over the years, is to "over-clock" any of its components.

If I am not satisfied with the performance of a particular component, I replace it with something more suitable, and leave it as standard, to ensure reliability and longevity.

Tinkering is for brave, dedicated; "Tinkerers"!... ;)...!

Paul.... ;)...!

Think of Aeroplane performance v reliability:
"vne" = Velocity Never Exceed!
Last edited by Fozzer on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby EVVFCX » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:31 pm

First place I'd start is replace the radeon 9250, I did, mine had more memory than yours and i replaced it with a 1gb card, i had a large increase in frame rate plus better graphics and some graphics were displayed that i didn't have before.
Edit: Just noticed you have only 1gb system memory, I'd increase that as much as possible but sorry to say this but i used to have to buy Dell pc's for work: I'd simply get rid of it.
regards

Steve
Last edited by EVVFCX on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the Mynd be with you.
So far my number of landings either passenger or pilot equal my number of takeoffs.

FSX Gold Acc, P3D V4, FS2020
EVVFCX
Captain
Captain

Postby Jetranger » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:58 pm

Over-Clocking: and all this time I thought that was when ya had too many clocks around the house to tell ya what time it was - Hummm ???? anybody know what time it is  ::)  ;D
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:56 am

[quote]Over-Clocking: and all this time I thought that was when ya had too many clocks around the house to tell ya what time it was - Hummm ???? anybody know what time it is
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby manesag » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:36 pm

[quote][quote]Over-Clocking: and all this time I thought that was when ya had too many clocks around the house to tell ya what time it was - Hummm ???? anybody know what time it is
manesag
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:12 pm

[quote]That was the laugh I have needed for 2 days! Good one.AND as an added note...Fosser,sir;I re-read my post before this one,and it comes off as smug and SmartA--ed.Please forgive my choice and arrangement of words.I meant no offense! What I was trying to say was that there's a difference in our worlds.You folks understand what is required to make the FS work at peak efficiency.I simply wrote my own programs.I can tear WINDOWS apart and make it sing and dance.BUT,hardware took a back seat.That is where I felt the need to ask those in the know.Peace?// stephan
Last edited by Fozzer on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby manesag » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:30 pm

[quote][quote]That was the laugh I have needed for 2 days! Good one.AND as an added note...Fosser,sir;I re-read my post before this one,and it comes off as smug and SmartA--ed.Please forgive my choice and arrangement of words.I meant no offense! What I was trying to say was that there's a difference in our worlds.You folks understand what is required to make the FS work at peak efficiency.I simply wrote my own programs.I can tear WINDOWS apart and make it sing and dance.BUT,hardware took a back seat.That is where I felt the need to ask those in the know.Peace?// stephan
manesag
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:45 am

[quote][quote][quote]That was the laugh I have needed for 2 days! Good one.AND as an added note...Fosser,sir;I re-read my post before this one,and it comes off as smug and SmartA--ed.Please forgive my choice and arrangement of words.I meant no offense! What I was trying to say was that there's a difference in our worlds.You folks understand what is required to make the FS work at peak efficiency.I simply wrote my own programs.I can tear WINDOWS apart and make it sing and dance.BUT,hardware took a back seat.That is where I felt the need to ask those in the know.Peace?// stephan
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby manesag » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:23 pm

[quote][quote][quote][quote]That was the laugh I have needed for 2 days! Good one.AND as an added note...Fosser,sir;I re-read my post before this one,and it comes off as smug and SmartA--ed.Please forgive my choice and arrangement of words.I meant no offense! What I was trying to say was that there's a difference in our worlds.You folks understand what is required to make the FS work at peak efficiency.I simply wrote my own programs.I can tear WINDOWS apart and make it sing and dance.BUT,hardware took a back seat.That is where I felt the need to ask those in the know.Peace?// stephan
manesag
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Tweaking & Overclocking