Does anybody know what's going on here?

Ideas, suggestions, tips & questions on how to supercharge your PC or software!

Does anybody know what's going on here?

Postby Dave71K » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:44 pm

I have what I call a strange thing happening.

I recently got a new laptop which is considerably powerful compared to what I'm used to.

The Specs are an i7 2670qm @2.4Ghz it normally turbo boosts to a constant 2.8Ghz when running FSX, Nvidia GeForce GT540m with 2gb dedicated memory and 8gb of RAM

The strange thing is my frame rate appears to be unaffected by the graphic settings.

For example I can fly along in the F1 Mustang at about 18 to 25fps with anti aliasing on and autogen set to normal. Which is great! The weird thing is if I turn AA off and set Autogen to zero it has no affect on the frame rate it stays at 18 to 25fps. Surely there should be some sort of improvement?
I have my frame rates locked using Nvidia inspector at 30fps so surely even with it locked it should push up past the 25 mark?

Also if during a flight I look at my CPU and GPU useage and neither are above 25 to 35%

So it seems there's a lot more power there that could be giving me better FPS but it isn't being used :S

Does anybody firstly have any idea why the autogen and anti alias settings don't appear to affect the FPS?

And secondily is it normal to have such low CPU and GPU usages?

I've never had a computer with anything over than basic specs before so I've never really thought it was worth while spending time and effort to tweak it but now I have this system it's definitely worth getting the best out of it.

Any thoughts or advice would be great!

Thanks a lot!
Last edited by Dave71K on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave71K

Re: Does anybody know what's going on here?

Postby Steven W » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:43 pm

My CPU and GPU do the same thing, they don't seem to go past 40% when I'm playing. As for your framerates, you could try looking at the FSX frame rate limiter, that might be locked at 25fps. Try setting that to unlimited and see if anything happens. If its already at unlimited, then I have no idea what to do  :-[
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE  -  Evga GeForce GTX550ti  -  8gb Patriot Viper RAM  -  FSX + Acceleration
Steven W
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Steven W » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:44 pm

My CPU and GPU do the same thing, they don't seem to go past 40% when I'm playing. As for your framerates, you could try looking at the FSX frame rate limiter, that might be locked at 25fps. Try setting that to unlimited and see if anything happens. If its already at unlimited, then I have no idea what to do
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE  -  Evga GeForce GTX550ti  -  8gb Patriot Viper RAM  -  FSX + Acceleration
Steven W
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby F35LightningII » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:49 pm

Have you got both services packs?

Have you run Bojote's Tweaking and Tuning Tool?

Make sure you do both of those, then check your CPU usage on FSX.
i5 3570K @ 4.3GHz, ASRock Z77 Pro3, EVGA GTX 670 FTW, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Samsung 830, 500GB Seagate Barracuda, Thermaltake Armor A60, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, Logitech K800, Logitech M510, Windows 8 Pro x64, FSX Acceleration
F35LightningII
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Tweaking & Overclocking