How well would FSX run on this system

Ideas, suggestions, tips & questions on how to supercharge your PC or software!

How well would FSX run on this system

Postby DomSQ » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:47 am

Evening all,

Just a question for those computer geeks out there, how well would my current system (With NickN's guide for Vista) work with FSX? I mean, would you say it could run on high as I'm thinking about installing FSX or rather buying to test my curiosity.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHZ
2GB OCZ RAM
ASUS P5KC Mobo
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
500GB HDD
StealthXtreme 600W PSU
Vista Home 32bit
DomSQ
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: How well would FSX run on this system

Postby F35LightningII » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:39 am

Sorry mate, that system ain't gonna run FSX on high settings.

For high settings you need:

Intel Quad Core @ 3.5GHz+
4GB RAM

Your graphics card should be good enough though.

I've got a 4.3GHz i5 3570K and 8GB of RAM, and I STILL get lag on FSX.  >:( It just shows that it's so far impossible to actually max out FSX without having any lag.

Your PC should be able to play FSX on medium settings quite well though. You would also have to be careful about what your traffic settings are. Anything above 50% and your framerates will really plummet in busy airports.
i5 3570K @ 4.3GHz, ASRock Z77 Pro3, EVGA GTX 670 FTW, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Samsung 830, 500GB Seagate Barracuda, Thermaltake Armor A60, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, Logitech K800, Logitech M510, Windows 8 Pro x64, FSX Acceleration
F35LightningII
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:46 am

A very nice build to run FS 2004 with most settings maxed... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]...!

Get FSX and give it a try anyway, but you would be far better off with FS 2004 and some extra free-ware goodies!

Paul....FS 2004...(and FSX)... 8-)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby DomSQ » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Hi guys, yes, I run FS9 maxed out with thunderstorm weather and all the bells and whistles, guess I fell for the extra gloss of temptation with FSX. V_V. No way would I purchase a super computer to run it, so FS9 stays! Cheers
DomSQ
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hestntonpms » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:10 pm

I don't think one needs a super computer to Run FSX you just need a decent CPU some decent Ram and a decent GFX card.
even the second generation intel cpu's were running FSX flawlessly a quick look into Youtube will prove that.

Also right before I built this computer I am on now, I was running an AMD 965 Phenom Black edition CPU, I think the stock clock was something like 3.4 Ghz , that CPU just may have been one of the best CPU's I ever purchased, I was able to get that CPU up to 4.5 Ghz. stable and with liquid cooling kept it quite cool @ around 38 C under FSX load , I never had a single issue with that computer running FSX , it ran the program at 20-25 FPS with no lag , no jitters or anything , the onl;y time it became a problem was when I was running FRAPS at the same time and even then, it would stutter every now and then, but FSX alone, no problems at all even in multi player so I think with a comparable CPU and a halfway decent GFX card like a 550 Ti "Yes FSX like NVIDIA better " you should be able to run anything you want.

Matter of fact, I still have the CPU, Mother board about 12 Gig of Ram and a 550 Ti GFX card I'm willing to sell or trade
Gigabyte X79 Chip set Mobo
Intel-i7 4820K CPU/Liquid cooled
Single GTX Titan 6gig GPU/ extreme air cooled
16 gig/1600 MHz quad channel DDR3
1 T/B -Raid-0 array,Risking it all for every ounce of performance until I go with SSD's
Hestntonpms
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hestntonpms » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:21 pm

There is no one set way to configure FSX not even if two people have identical machines, with identical hardware,
I am confident of that , we already know that no two CPU's are created exactly alike , they're close but not exact , some you can push farther than others, some you can push so ridiculously far you would swear you were in dream land.

Still others do not pay attention to important things like HEAT !
maybe the pay attention to the CPU heat or the GFX heat , but everything must be monitored
Another important thing to remember is that your system is only as fast as it's slowest component , so if your HD is slow, it don't make much difference that your Graphics are fast, it has to get that information fast in order to process it fast , I have heard many say Hard drive is not so important , I completely disagree with that
Gigabyte X79 Chip set Mobo
Intel-i7 4820K CPU/Liquid cooled
Single GTX Titan 6gig GPU/ extreme air cooled
16 gig/1600 MHz quad channel DDR3
1 T/B -Raid-0 array,Risking it all for every ounce of performance until I go with SSD's
Hestntonpms
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby CrashII » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:22 am

There is no need to buy a supercomputer to run FSX maxed out without lag. I have a two year old I7 that runs FSX maxed out at an average of 60 fps without problems. An €800 PC is hardly considered a supercomputer. More important are the add-ons installed that make FSX suffer. AItraffic is a known killer, so is heavy scenery. I run my FSX with traffic at 30% (WOAI) and only FSGlobal 2010 terrainmesh, Orbx Global and REX-Essential. Any other installed heavy scenery (like airports and other eye-candy) will reduce the fps to an average of 15.
Specs:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technologie

12,0 GB Dual-Kanaal DDR3 @ 664MHz (9-9-9-24)

Foxconn H67M-S/H67M-V/H67 (CPU 1)

Acer X223W c (1680x1050@59Hz)
1023MBGeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)

Western Digital WDC WD3200AAKS-00UU3A0 ATA Device (SATA)
932GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA) 38 °C

ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
Optiarc DVD RW AD-5260S ATA Device

Realtek High Definition Audio
CrashII
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Tweaking & Overclocking