MSConfig Services

Ideas, suggestions, tips & questions on how to supercharge your PC or software!

MSConfig Services

Postby future_ag_2010 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:39 am

Howdy!! Ok so recently I had a problem with my computer randomly shutting itself off... I found somewhere that the way to fix this was to disable all services in msconfig... This fixed the problem, but i don't know which ones to turn back on!! Any suggestions?? Thanks!! :)

Bradley
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
          -Leonardo da Vinci

Intel Ce
future_ag_2010
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: MSConfig Services

Postby Slotback » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:53 pm

You could try to re-enable each service one by one or in groups of 5 or something. But that might take ages.

Or enable all of them and try disabling a service called "Task Scheduler". (make sure to re-enable it if it doesn't fix it)

Or you could try googling for the answer.

And if all that doesn't work then the only thing that I know of is a reinstall of windows or repair of windows.
Last edited by Slotback on Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slotback

Postby ozzy72 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:24 am

Was there anything in the event log pointing towards reasons for the shutdown?
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby EVVFCX » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:02 pm

you can get a default list of services from microsofts website, when I shut a load of services off during a year without internet, purely to save memory, I just googled for it.
May the Mynd be with you.
So far my number of landings either passenger or pilot equal my number of takeoffs.

FSX Gold Acc, P3D V4, FS2020
EVVFCX
Captain
Captain

Postby future_ag_2010 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:08 pm

Hey guys!! Thanks for replying!! I've been away for awhile so I haven't had a chance to get back to y'all... I ended up following NickN's Windows 7 service list thing in his optimization stuff... It started turning itself off again, but I noticed something... It seems like it only does it when the laptop is leaned up against the wall (I try not to put it flat on the carpet so the fan can get some air)... I've left for the day with it defragging on a hard-cover book on the bed (again just so the fan can pull air) and I'll come back 8 hours later to find it still runnin strong... But I'll lean it on the wall, come back in 10 minutes and it's dead... Does that mean anything, or is it just a coincidence??? Being a Toshiba, it has the HDD-Protection thing... Could this be a problem?? The task scheduler thing is intriguing... What exactly does that do?? Would I notice anything if I turned it off?? And also, I'll be honest... I don't know where one would find an event log... It seems like that would be a help though!! Any guidance as to where to look?? Thank y'all so much!!!
Last edited by future_ag_2010 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
          -Leonardo da Vinci

Intel Ce
future_ag_2010
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Steve M » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:34 pm

In Windows XP (not sure about W7), press alt+cntroll+delete to bring up the task manager. Another person in the forum suggested using Game Booster. I kind of like that one for shutting down services. But my guess is too much heat building up. Especially since you have made it through 8 hours of flight before stalling. My old laptop would bsod when it got to hot.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby future_ag_2010 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:51 pm

So task scheduler is the same thing as task manager?? I'm confused... And maybe I should clarify... The 8 hours wasn't flying, it was defragging... I imagine the load is similar though!!! :)
          -Leonardo da Vinci

Intel Ce
future_ag_2010
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Steve M » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:27 pm

The task scheduler will do things like schedule when you get updates for windows and etc this link will explain it better.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308569

The task manager allows you to view running processes and shut them down or enable them. In this pic you can see I normally have 42 processes running which is above normal when running a flight sim.
Last edited by Steve M on Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby future_ag_2010 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:56 pm

Oh!! So unless I have scheduled tasks then it's not gonna do anything different!! Got it! And I'm gonna have to check out that gamebooster thing!! It sounds pretty useful!! So what is the likelihood that task scheduler is actually the problem? Because I don't quite understand how heat could be the problem... If it's getting good circulation, shouldn't it be ok?? Would there really be less heat buildup when the entire bottom is in contact with the ground than when just the battery area is touching??
          -Leonardo da Vinci

Intel Ce
future_ag_2010
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Steve M » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:13 pm

Task scheduler, we don't need programs running updates in the background while we are trying to fly the sim. I don't know how different laptops are designed to disapate heat but I know that heat rises and I would "assume" the cooling fans are placed to be most efficient on a flat surface. Standing a laptop against a wall, could cause more heat to rise up inside the case. But thats just my theory and by no means fact.   
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby future_ag_2010 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Oh wow... How exacty did I not think of that before?!? That makes total sense when you think about it!! I guess I need to flip it the other way and see what happens...
          -Leonardo da Vinci

Intel Ce
future_ag_2010
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby future_ag_2010 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:56 pm

My friend you might just be a genius!! I flipped it over so it makes a tent and not a v, and it's been idling like a champ for close to an hour!! Longest it's gone yet!! Only overnight will tell, but it seems to be working!! Thank you, kind sir, for assisting people like me who somehow manage to live oblivious to the laws of physics :) we'll see how it goes!!
          -Leonardo da Vinci

Intel Ce
future_ag_2010
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Slotback » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:36 am

IMHO, keep task scheduler running. If you're following Nick Ns guides then disabling it can cause some issues when you try to rewrite layout.ini in the prefetch folder. You can disable automatic upgrades via the windows update menu or by disabling (or setting to manual) the "automatic updates' service.

also wrt Game Booster, IMHO have your windows running clean enough so that Game Booster is not required at all.
Last edited by Slotback on Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slotback

Postby future_ag_2010 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:45 pm

It worked!!!!!!! It was on all night and into the afternoon without a problem!!! It's amazing!! I finally have a computer that does what it's supposed to do!!! Thanks so much!!!! And since it worked, task scheduler is gonna stay on to avoid problems... And NNNG, if I followed his optimization steps to a T, is that running clean enough do you think? I was gettin about 25 fps in Seattle with most stuff turned up... And a quick question about filtering... In-game is best right?? And bilinear and trilinear?? I just figured I'd ask before I forget...
          -Leonardo da Vinci

Intel Ce
future_ag_2010
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Steve M » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:28 pm

My friend you might just be a genius!! I flipped it over so it makes a tent and not a v, and it's been idling like a champ for close to an hour!! Longest it's gone yet!! Only overnight will tell, but it seems to be working!! Thank you, kind sir, for assisting people like me who somehow manage to live oblivious to the laws of physics :) we'll see how it goes!!

I'm glad it worked out, Future.
Last edited by Steve M on Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve M
Major
Major

Next

Return to Tweaking & Overclocking