Stress testing CPU in FSX

Ideas, suggestions, tips & questions on how to supercharge your PC or software!

Stress testing CPU in FSX

Postby Tomcat5 » Sat May 01, 2010 11:46 am

I know that FSX is extremely CPU intensive.  So, if that is true, would playing an hour of it at high settings be a good stress test?  I just got a 20% overclock (holy !@#king !@#t) on my notebook, so I wanted to make sure it is stable.  This would not be a permanent OC, I would just apply it when playing FSX.  I don't want to shorted the lifespan even more than it would be.  What do you think?  I'm running an Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 at 3028.9 mhz.  Is this pressing it too hard?  It wouldn't be permanent...
Asus G71GX-RX05 from BestBuy.
Tomcat5
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Stress testing CPU in FSX

Postby Slotback » Sat May 01, 2010 1:01 pm

No.

FSX doesn't balance all cores correctly.

Run OCCT one hour test.

3000mhz is not pushing it very far although it depends on how many volts are running through it. I could underclock my processor and still fry it in a few days if I pump enough volts through it. as always minimize the volts.

my processor has a 25% overclock for two years, no problems so far.
Last edited by Slotback on Sat May 01, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slotback

Postby Tomcat5 » Sat May 01, 2010 1:56 pm

Sorry, but I'm kind of a n00b to overclocking.
Last edited by Tomcat5 on Sat May 01, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomcat5
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby patchz » Thu May 06, 2010 6:17 am

I called Alienware support earlier about a non-related problem and happened to mention some graphics anomalies. The tech downloaded OCCT and ran a stress test on my ATI 5970 because he thought there might be a problem. The test crashed it, twice. He said the card was bad and is sending me a new one. During the test and before the crash, I noticed the temps get up into the fifties and sixties and asked him about it, since it normally runs 29 to 31, even when running FSX. He said no problem as long as it doesn't go over 85.

Also, my factory oc Aurora was 2.66 oc'd to 3.2. I believe that is 20% and it was done by Alienware.
Last edited by patchz on Thu May 06, 2010 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
If God intended aircraft engines to have horizontally opposed engines, Pratt and Whitney would have made them that way.
patchz
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Slotback » Thu May 06, 2010 6:27 am

Around 70 is the maximum you want for day to day use.

Also graphics cards handle heat better than CPU's for some reason. My card gets up to 90 during Furmark.
Slotback

Postby Tomcat5 » Sat May 08, 2010 11:05 pm

Around 70 is the maximum you want for day to day use.

Also graphics cards handle heat better than CPU's for some reason. My card gets up to 90 during Furmark.

It's fine.  Temps never get above 60 when gaming, ever.  I think it's good.  My GPU is another story, 85 is not uncommon in Crysis.  Furmark got it to 100 once, but that was when I left it on the floor with the test.  Laptop innards should probably never be above about 90, but my fan kicks on 'uber mode' at that temp.  It will wake up everyone in the house.  I think I'm good.  Thanks, everyone.
Tomcat5
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Tweaking & Overclocking