Can this thing go faster?!?

Ideas, suggestions, tips & questions on how to supercharge your PC or software!

Can this thing go faster?!?

Postby Speed of flight » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:51 pm

So, my hardware is in my signature, and I was wondering if I can get this thing throttled up a little faster. I just got this board and RAM last month, and was looking for help understanding what some of these bios options really do, and how clicking them on or off can help or not.

I know a little here and there, and had my last machine cranked up pretty high, but this board has SO MANY more options on it, and some of them, well I got no idea what some of these things are?
Last edited by Speed of flight on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z, NB & FSB @2608 MHz
AMD 8350 @ 5.02 GHz 1.524V (200.6 x 25)
Corsair H100i
16GB GSkill Trident @ 2133 MHz C10
Asus 7870 2 GB 1200core/5500mem
Samsung 250GB SSD
RaidMax 1200W
Cooler Master HAF 932
Windows 7 x64
VRS Superbug/TacPack, Iris A-10A, PMDG 77W, 744 and MD-11
REX texture direct, FTX Global
Speed of flight
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Can this thing go faster?!?

Postby Thai09 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:29 pm

Do it alone, you're an outcast already, aren't you?!

No offense, but it's more entertaining for us - I mean me (!) - if you just go ahead an experiment, this will usually get the best results IMO...

Don't listen too much to "The Guru's" - eventhough the one we are blessed with here is genuine, and don't want to sell an expensive Fligthsim Mantra to you!

Take the wisdom you can use, and discard the rest...

Here's some inspiration:

http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboar ... ation.html

Go! SpeedoFlight - Go, Go!!
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Thai09
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Speed of flight » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:48 pm

Thanks, Thai! Yeah, I still remember that thread the Intel guys were beating us up over. It seems like everything I'd say got me attacked, like they felt threatened, and less like a friendly "OH YEAH? Look what I can do! :)" kinda thing like I was hoping (NNNG).

There's such a bitter rivalry, rather than a friendly competition as I thought. I really had no idea, and it's really sad. It really did all start with me just seeing my system going zoooooomm somewhere, and I wanted to see if it was doing that for everyone.

There is, though, a friendly out there on the other side, calls himself "IdahoSurge" and he seems like a great guy! Intel user, but nobody's perfect (lol just a funny). Seems like that's the kind of guy that would participate in a fair screeny throwdown! BRING IT ON! Just not yet; I'm not even close to ready. So it's on, but I call an indefinite time-out. That's fair, right :-[?

I gotta get this thing at his level! He got an i7 950 to 4.2 GHz! CRAP! Looks like I'm gonna be busy here for a little bit. I need to see if I can get my mem latencies closer to where he's at, too. That NickN really helped him out and got that machine plowin through records!

ZOOOOOOOOOOOMM!!!!

That's the kind of guy that could help, but I'm pretty sure he's an intel guru, and most folks don't cross-train.

Thanks, Thai, and I'll give it a look to see what I come up with, too.

Wish me luck, I'm probably gonna need it. Either that, or the "Force".
Last edited by Speed of flight on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corsair H100i
Samsung 250GB SSD
RaidMax 1200W
Cooler Master HAF 932
Windows 7 x64
Speed of flight
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Speed of flight » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:50 pm

So I did a little searching, and it turns out that there's already a buncha folks doing this, and hitting a wall at 3.9 GHz. It's gonna be hard to do better. Real hard. There's some 65 pages and counting of these folks giving it everything they got to push it a little harder. Don't know if I'm gonna be able to get where IdahoSurge is at. He's a record holder, best I can tell.

DAGNAB this is gonna be HAAARD!

http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview ... TMP=Linear
Corsair H100i
Samsung 250GB SSD
RaidMax 1200W
Cooler Master HAF 932
Windows 7 x64
Speed of flight
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Slotback » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:18 pm

Thanks, Thai! Yeah, I still remember that thread the Intel guys were beating us up over. It seems like everything I'd say got me attacked, like they felt threatened, and less like a friendly "OH YEAH? Look what I can do! " kinda thing like I was hoping (NNNG).

And if anyone wants to see what really happened, go here:

http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB ... 2031503/21 (especially reply 21)

I wouldn't use the word attacked, I would use "debunked". Maybe next time you mention the debate you can provide a link (to the truth) in order to not be misleading...

Core i7 at 2.66ghz is faster than Phenom II at 3.4ghz (according to benchmarks, unless you want to disregard them with no explanation WHY they were wrong. Getting good performance on one processor doesn't mean it's faster than any-one else.). You're likely going to need to get your Phenom II to 5.5ghz to "catch up" with him. You get what you pay for. It has nothing to do with AMD vs Intel, but has everything to do with enthusiast vs mainstream platforms. Good luck getting every last ounce of performance out of the chip.
Last edited by Slotback on Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slotback

Postby Thai09 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:03 am

Thanks, Thai! Yeah, I still remember that thread the Intel guys were beating us up over. It seems like everything I'd say got me attacked, like they felt threatened, and less like a friendly "OH YEAH? Look what I can do! :)" kinda thing like I was hoping (NNNG).

There's such a bitter rivalry, rather than a friendly competition as I thought. I really had no idea, and it's really sad. It really did all start with me just seeing my system going zoooooomm somewhere, and I wanted to see if it was doing that for everyone.

There is, though, a friendly out there on the other side, calls himself "IdahoSurge" and he seems like a great guy! Intel user, but nobody's perfect (lol just a funny). Seems like that's the kind of guy that would participate in a fair screeny throwdown! BRING IT ON! Just not yet; I'm not even close to ready. So it's on, but I call an indefinite time-out. That's fair, right :-[?

I gotta get this thing at his level! He got an i7 920 to 4.2 GHz! CRAP! Looks like I'm gonna be busy here for a little bit. I need to see if I can get my mem latencies closer to where he's at, too. That NickN really helped him out and got that machine plowin through records!

ZOOOOOOOOOOOMM!!!!

That's the kind of guy that could help, but I'm pretty sure he's an intel guru, and most folks don't cross-train.

Thanks, Thai, and I'll give it a look to see what I come up with, too.

Wish me luck, I'm probably gonna need it. Either that, or the "Force".

Good luck, and I think the Force is with you already!

But you will need two things more:

"Lapping"

http://www.trubritarforums.com/forum/in ... topic=3622

and watercooling

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/s ... ?p=3539164
Last edited by Thai09 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thai09
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Speed of flight » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:42 pm

Thanks, Thai! Yeah, I still remember that thread the Intel guys were beating us up over. It seems like everything I'd say got me attacked, like they felt threatened, and less like a friendly "OH YEAH? Look what I can do! " kinda thing like I was hoping (NNNG).

I wouldn't use the word attacked, I would use "debunked". Maybe next time you mention the debate you can provide a link (to the truth) in order to not be misleading...

Core i7 at 2.66ghz is faster than Phenom II at 3.4ghz (according to benchmarks, unless you want to disregard them with no explanation WHY they were wrong. Getting good performance on one processor doesn't mean it's faster than any-one else.). You're likely going to need to get your Phenom II to 5.5ghz to "catch up" with him. You get what you pay for. It has nothing to do with AMD vs Intel, but has everything to do with enthusiast vs mainstream platforms. Good luck getting every last ounce of performance out of the chip.
Last edited by Speed of flight on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corsair H100i
Samsung 250GB SSD
RaidMax 1200W
Cooler Master HAF 932
Windows 7 x64
Speed of flight
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Rich H » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:54 pm

"Politics" is made up of two words, "Poli", which is Greek for "many", and "tics", which are blood sucking insects. - Gore Vidal
Rich H
Major
Major

Postby Speed of flight » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:11 pm

Because I wasn't asking for proof that there's just nothing I can do. There's plenty I can do. I'm already up to 4.114 GHz. I don't care if it's never going to be good enough, always be a paperweight, whatever.
Benchmark, fact, slower, give up, amd paperweight, all buzzwords I can think of that sound like what NNNG says everytime I put something up here! Jeeze, man. If I'm just supposed to listen to garbage like that, I might as well just jump off a dang bridge, or something. Whether it's fact or not, I don't really care. I'm really trying to make this thing go REAL fast, and some prick tellin me some dogmatic, knee-jerk, crap about how I might as well not even try really sux. You know, this "one of the nicest forums on the net" only seems true. It's really not, man.

You know, he could have just said "Good luck" and leave it at that. I know he's an Intel freak, everyone knows that, and if you're not, too, then you might as well give up. That's how that guy talks, and it's really very old.

Publishing HIS scores, how much better HIS system is, and how MINE isn't ever going to be close, and here's why, isn't the kind of stuff anybody here needs, really. I don't know how I seem to get nothing else from that guy, but it's tired. More tired than a one-legged man at a butt kicking contest.

Just to make this thing PERFECTLY clear,

[glow=yellow,2,300]I DON'T CARE ABOUT BENCHMARK SCORES.[/glow]

That number again is:

[glow=yellow,2,300]I DON'T CARE ABOUT BENCHMARK SCORES.[/glow]

Get it? Listen NNNG, I don't need you to tell me that it's not worth even trying. Why do you still post in my thread? I never asked for your help. Keep your "superior-ness" to yourself. The title of the thing is even "can this thing go faster?" and he says no. Went from 4.0 to 4.1142. How's that? Maybe that's the same feeble logic you're using to tell me that my system sux. Just a thought.

You know, I never said that I was trying to get it "faster" than Idaho's, just on par. At least same speed. all your other stuff was just a bunch of nay-saing "brooookk can't be done, brooookk" parrot crap. We've all heard it before, and sick of it.

Last edited by Speed of flight on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corsair H100i
Samsung 250GB SSD
RaidMax 1200W
Cooler Master HAF 932
Windows 7 x64
Speed of flight
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby 757200ba » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:14 pm

Well.I just saw this post and.......WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON WITH YOU GUYS???!!!

I know man can do many things, but there is one he cant do.Leave with eachother, unless he fly the Flight Simulator.

So pls, all of you are important to all of us.
So pls stop this kind of posts.Some think they are important (i dont know why) Good, teach.... so one day they can be proud that they teach others to be "important".
Keep up the good work.PLs help us to develop our knowledge and imporve our machines for our main cause. :-[ :-[
757200ba
Captain
Captain

Postby Thai09 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:11 am

Well.I just saw this post and.......WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON WITH YOU GUYS???!!!

I know man can do many things, but there is one he cant do.Leave with eachother, unless he fly the Flight Simulator.

So pls, all of you are important to all of us.
So pls stop this kind of posts.Some think they are important (i dont know why) Good, teach.... so one day they can be proud that they teach others to be "important".
Keep up the good work.PLs help us to develop our knowledge and imporve our machines for our main cause. :-[ :-[

I'm confused... What exactly do you want to say with this post?

FYI: It's in the friction between opposite views and competing products - AMD/Intel  -  that progress is made, both here in Simworld and out there in the Real World!

Do you want progress or status quo?
:-?
Thai09
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Speed of flight » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:13 pm

This ^^^^ friction is what is making me real tired. You know, I read a lot of stuff on these forums, all over the place, ask questions, and get very helpful and good advice from others. Everytime this NNNG jerk posts something in response to me is always negative, like I'm only almost human for using AMD, and can't possibly get a solid performer, or something. I can't even identify some of the stuff he says. Like the facts and figures he always puts up there seem like they're supposed to be "demeaning" and critical of anyone not using what he has advised all of us to use.

Here's a thought: Even if I use a different platform, I still get GREAT performance out of it. I want him to keep his trap SHUT! The facts and figures say that I shouldn't even be able to get as good as I already do, and have been, and I'm just supposed to listen to him, or something. Like I'm just supposed to submit and say, "yeah, you're right, NNNG. I'm going to shamefully walk down to Fry's right now and buy me an Intel, because I want you to like me" or something.

I could handle a little garbage, like "There's no way buddy. Your processor starts with an 'A', not an 'I'". Or, "There's just no way you can do any good with that thing; It's European, like the Yugo was." Or even "It's so slow, even a caveman could use it!", or howabout, "Duuude, does your girlfriend know that you use AMD? Is she still laughing at you, or is she trying to catch her breath? AAAAHAHAHA!!" That kind of thing. (see the humor in there?)

Not what I've gotten from that guy. Instead, I got "Core i7 at 2.66ghz is faster than Phenom II at 3.4ghz (according to benchmarks, unless you want to disregard them with no explanation WHY they were wrong. Getting good performance on one processor doesn't mean it's faster than any-one else.). You're likely going to need to get your Phenom II to 5.5ghz to "catch up" with him. You get what you pay for."

Let's really analyze this:
#1. "Core i7 at 2.66ghz is faster than Phenom II at 3.4ghz" Yes, and I've seen it. I'm on another AMD forum thingy, watching these other AMD guys try to break some SuperPi time that an Intel something SMOKED in more than 4 seconds faster, and really rattled them. I get it, but I need to try, right? There would be no i7 unless AMD was knocking on the C2Q with the first phenom.

#2. "(according to benchmarks, unless you want to disregard them with no explanation WHY they were wrong." Also, true. And again I say, "Benchmark schmenchmark". I do disregard the scores, not because I think they're wrong, but because [glow=yellow,2,300]I don't care[/glow]. The good bunch of them are written by folks to test Intel processors. The architecture Intel uses is designed solely to get high benchmark scores, and that's how they do so well, eg "if we give it a little more L2 and L3, it'll do better on 3DMark Vantage." The reason I care not about a benchmark, is because I'm not trying to play a benchmark, I'm trying to ROCK fsx. Like I've said before. And before that. And even before that. If I score my @$$ off in 3DMark Vantage, and still get mediocre performance in FSX, I'll feel ripped off, and ANGRY.

"Getting good performance on one processor doesn't mean it's faster than any-one else." <- Does that work both ways? I bet not. Aside from how many things come to mind when I see that, I didn't aim for going faster than someone else. I am an enthusiast, and by nature, I want it to go faster than it did when I bought it. Besides, you're kidding, right? 4.2 is a very tough mark to hit, and I really don't think I'm going to be able to do it. However, it would make you way too happy to see me give up on it, so I MUST try. I congratulate IdahoSurge all the time for such a rockin hot rod of a machine. He has definitely set the bar for GHz. Yikes.

I wonder if NickN was as condecending about his attempt, or if he really helped Idaho. Seeing the results, I bet when he asked for help, he was told a few things to TRY, rather than told to shut it down. In fact, I bet NickN walked him through a bunch of steps, and trial and error-ed a few things TOGETHER to get that good a setup. Yep, there's a whole thread there devoted to NickN for how thankful IdahoSurge is for his help. That MUST be how it went.

That's what I'm talking about. In contrast to NNNG, as tech-savvy as he MAY be, he's kind of a _____. Not quite helpful, or even nice. No, just a negative, doubting Thomas, or even jerk. Or at least to us "AMD-using, lesser-beings". Worse, yet, I already knew this, and intentionally never asked him for his input, and got it anyway, as though I'd have asked "Hey?! I'm feeling a little too good about myself. Can anyone find NNNG for me? I need a good degrading." (See, now that's an attempt at a funny, and, to me, it kind of was! No need to put-down, or hassle. A little friendly heckling is great funny! I do it with my friends. Do you have any friends? No kidding?)

Da End.
Corsair H100i
Samsung 250GB SSD
RaidMax 1200W
Cooler Master HAF 932
Windows 7 x64
Speed of flight
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Speed of flight » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:06 pm

So I just got a 3DMark score of 17,914. Can't make the SS small enough to upload and still be legible. Also, I know this isn't a great score (don't think so anyway) but I could get higher with a newer card, I think. Not bad, though, I think. Better than my other scores. I think I'm gonna go a little higher multiplier and FSB speed. So far, 4.101 GHz and PCIe clock @ 115.
Last edited by Speed of flight on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corsair H100i
Samsung 250GB SSD
RaidMax 1200W
Cooler Master HAF 932
Windows 7 x64
Speed of flight
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby idahosurge » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:21 pm

Quote "In fact, I bet NickN walked him through a bunch of steps, and trial and error-ed a few things TOGETHER to get that good a setup. Yep, there's a whole thread there devoted to NickN for how thankful IdahoSurge is for his help. That MUST be how it went." End Quote

That is exactly how it went Speed of Flight!

Rod
Asus R3E_i7 980X @ 4.44GHz_TR Silver Arrow_Mushkin Redline 6GB 1,644MHz @ 6-7-6-18_Zotac AMP GTX 480_OS - Windows 7 Ult 64b_OS SSD - Crucial C300 128GB_FSX HD - WD VR 600GB*2 w/3ware 9750-4i 6Gb/s Controller_Corsair AX850_CM HAF-X_FSX Gold, UTX, GEX, FSG,
idahosurge
Captain
Captain

Postby Speed of flight » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:05 pm

Quote "In fact, I bet NickN walked him through a bunch of steps, and trial and error-ed a few things TOGETHER to get that good a setup. Yep, there's a whole thread there devoted to NickN for how thankful IdahoSurge is for his help. That MUST be how it went." End Quote

That is exactly how it went Speed of Flight!

Rod

I guess it's too much to ask for me to get the same kind of help, since I'm an AMD guy ;)

Just cuz I'm an outcast, I guess, and even a "rebel" hooboy.

I'm already at a dis-advantage with this chip, and getting it to even go as fast as yours is proving VERY difficult! What a challenge! It's actually a lot of fun, and I'm so close, I can taste it! It's having a hard time crashing with 3DMark 06 on the CPU test @ 4.211 something, but I know a little voltage tweak here or there will get it. Just have to figure out where...

Dang tough! But fun! :D
Corsair H100i
Samsung 250GB SSD
RaidMax 1200W
Cooler Master HAF 932
Windows 7 x64