CPU Temp

Ideas, suggestions, tips & questions on how to supercharge your PC or software!

CPU Temp

Postby Air Canada » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:31 am

what is the normal temp of a CPU when it's at Idle..
mine is around 41 to 45

And when running FSX what temp it is at.
mine is at 92 to 99 deg. C

I ran rel temp ad got those reading.. is the temp too high when running FSX and my computer side case is open too...

I'm running the CPU with the fan that came with it.. And there no other fans inside the computer... Do I need to install more fans...

My computer is not overclocked too...

it's an Intel E8400 with a Asus P5Q Turbo Motherboard with 4gb OCZ 800 ram and a crappy case with a 500watts powersupply..

Need suggestion on how to fix this cause I would like to overclock this cpu ...

thanks.
Air Canada
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: CPU Temp

Postby Mazza » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:36 pm

That is a BIG Jump is temp  :o Try cleaning out the dust in the case, use compressed air to blow it away  ;) On ALL the fans  ;)
Sunset Chasing...RULES
AMD 9550 2.43 X4 - 2Gb RAM 800Mhz DDRII - Asus 4670
Corsair TX-750W
Mazza
Major
Major

Postby Slotback » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:36 am

The idle temperatures are fine and normal (maybe on the high side). However the load temperatures are far too hot, and FSX doesn't even load the cores down fully so those are not even the maximum that are possible.

Make sure Intel TM2 (thermal monitor 2 or something) is enabled in BIOS. Also, I would re-seat that ASAP. Honestly I would never run my PC to even close to that load temperature.

Re-seat it, (make sure you know how first though).
Last edited by Slotback on Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slotback

Postby Air Canada » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:31 am

hey...

thanks for all the replies but i managed to fix the problem...

I did take the cooler and clean the cpu and apply little paste and re-seated it back, but it still was going up that high..

Anyhow... I bought a new cooler (OC Vendetta) and now problem is solved..

I even overclocked my CPU to 3.8 and the highest I see the tmp going up to is around 55 deg. C and idle at 31 deg C ..

:)
Air Canada
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Mazza » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:13 am

That's a nice high temp, glad to hear it all worked out  ;)
Sunset Chasing...RULES
AMD 9550 2.43 X4 - 2Gb RAM 800Mhz DDRII - Asus 4670
Corsair TX-750W
Mazza
Major
Major

Postby N. Chapman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:05 pm

Sometimes I can get 27C out of mine at idle and never really goes above 43C when gaming*.

*- Temps are not reflective of clocks seen in sig ;D
Click for Computer info overload!
N. Chapman
Captain
Captain

Postby jaime » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:51 pm

what is the normal temp of a CPU when it's at Idle..
mine is around 41 to 45

That seemes to be about avrage for most systems

And when running FSX what temp it is at.
mine is at 92 to 99 deg. C

that does not seem normal, I would try some of the suggestions in the previous posts...

I ran rel temp ad got those reading.. is the temp too high when running FSX and my computer side case is open too...

Running with the case open is not a good idea, I would DEFINATLY get that closed up to minimize the amount of dust that can/will get into/on your system...

I'm running the CPU with the fan that came with it.. And there no other fans inside the computer... Do I need to install more fans...

the more hardware (hard drives, grafic cards, sound cards, ram, CPU, etc) you got packed into your case the more heat the system will generate, biggest heat producer is...no not the CPU or RAM (thought they can produce a fair amount) but its your PSU, that thing puts out lots of heat, so yes you should get more fans, get the biggest size your can can handel, if you got 80mm fan port in the back get 80mm, get enough so all fav ports (some cases might have one on the side of the case, one or two in the back, or even one in front of the case, however many spaces you got for a fan (actuall spots designed for a fan to be placed)is the number of fans you should get, GET THE FANS they help cool your system! On mine I have the fan in the rear set as my intake fan (my PSU exausts out the back), on the side of my case I have another 80mm fan that works as another intake, allowing air to be pushed to my video cards and the sound card, and I don't have a fan for the front for my HDDs yet, but I set up my system with the fans as they are now so the air moves around and keeps it pretty cool, i avrage aroudn the 40 - 50 range when running full tilt

My computer is not overclocked too...

good, though over clocking wont produce much more heat you sill will get temp increases since OC the machine causes things to run faster and at higher out put levels so you will be generating more heat

it's an Intel E8400 with a Asus P5Q Turbo Motherboard with 4gb OCZ 800 ram and a crappy case with a 500watts powersupply..

if the case doesnt have enough space (volume internally for main board, fans, CPU, ram, etc, etc) you should consider getting a newer/bigger case, may cost you a bit of $$$ in the short term, but in long term you will be greatful, the smaller the case the quicker the heat builds, too much heat you will start noticing issues with your system, heat is a computers WORST enemy, if you cook your hardware you could wind up having to pay more money verses getting a newer case thats a bit bigger and has more room for fans. and if that happens then would that budget money saver case you might have really have saved you any money? not really...

Need suggestion on how to fix this cause I would like to overclock this cpu ...

thanks.

read what I put in red, the suggestions are the best for helping you fix the issue, other people might also have other methouds to help, but I gave you the straight up nitty gritty

now if you got the issue taken care of then wonderful, hopefully you can enjoy it for years!! if it still seemes to be getting high temps try some of the above suggestions.

nime when gamming usually seems to hover around the 50 - 70 range (depending on how hard im pushing) but I think the one errounious 70 was more HDD then any thing else...
Last edited by jaime on Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
one of the starters of the burner pandemic
jaime
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Tweaking & Overclocking