Core 2 Duo

Ideas, suggestions, tips & questions on how to supercharge your PC or software!

Core 2 Duo

Postby mykV » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:31 pm

I have a little bit of knowledge to ask for. I have Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 + 4GB RAM in my Acer machine, and it is rated at 2.13 Ghz per core. My question is, by how much am I able to safely take the cores to. Is 2.66 asking too much of my system. Without burning out the cores/processor. I have run a program called IntelBurn Test, which says my machine is stable on standard test.
The airplane is just a bunch of sticks and wires and cloth, a tool for learning about the sky and about the kind of person I am when I fly. An airplane stands for freedom,for joy for the power to understand and to demonstrate that understanding. Those thi
mykV
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Core 2 Duo

Postby Slotback » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:38 pm

2.66 should be easy to get to on stock cooling. >3ghz on upgraded cooling. Just watch them temps, make sure they don't go over 70 (maybe 75) when running Intel Burn Test (IBT). Use 'coretemp' monitoring software for temperatures.

One hour stability test using IBT should be enough, however, Nick recommends 1 hour OCCT for stability tests because that's a more realistic load (although less intensive).

You probably will not need to boost the voltages at all, in fact it might be possible to under-volt it if you want to minimize heat while remaining stable. My stock voltage is 1.3250v and I run a 25% overclock at 1.212v completely stable.
Last edited by Slotback on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slotback

Return to Tweaking & Overclocking