O/C video card Q

Ideas, suggestions, tips & questions on how to supercharge your PC or software!

O/C video card Q

Postby adkleaddog » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:18 pm

Is there a rational for turning up the vidcard, specifically how the settings should be between the Core, Shader and Memory clock? I'm using rivatuner, and I get pretty good results for this old rig, but of course trying to squeeze as much as possible out of it....  ::)

I'm pushing the Core from default 459Mhz to 525 or so, with the Memory from  defalut 400Mhz to 450 or so.....

I guess the Q is since the Core and Shader will be the same, (as linked in rivatuner when I turn it up) how should the Memory slider go up in relation to the others?  More, same, less..... keep tweaking till I get best results??

I tried a search but couldn't find anything  ;)
If You Ain't The Lead Dog, The Scenery Never Changes! (Age Old Yukon Saying)

i7-860, 8GB DDR3 RAM 7-7-7-20, ATI5770 1GB, 2X 1TB HD, Corsair 750w p/s, Saitek ProFlight Yoke System+Throttle Quad+Pedals+Cyborg Keyboard.... FSX,GEX,UTX,UT2....
adkleaddog
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: O/C video card Q

Postby Alonso » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:22 pm

I've had a 8500 GT and... better leave it with those OC values. It won't get much better than that.
Core i5 2500k @ 3.8 - 8GB DDR3 - GTX 560 OC
Alonso
Major
Major

Postby Slotback » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:52 am

With my 9800GT I just use the maximum settings that the computer is completely stable at. There is no link between memory and anything else, just set everything as high as possible as long as it's stable and not overheating.

You MAY be abled to get more performance if you UNLOCK the Core / shader clocks, and raise each individually, however on my card I did not and keep them linked.
Last edited by Slotback on Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slotback

Postby adkleaddog » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:09 pm

Thanks! I do tweak both a little, I keep the ratio on all about the same when o/c'ing, I just was wondering if there was a "correct" way of doing it , or some trick I wasn't aware of....like more or less on one compared to the other. I think I'm pushing it as it is!

As always, you guys are on heck of a resource, and from all the tweaks, I DO get pretty good perf with this old rig.  Enough to get the iFly 747 up and running!    

Just waiting for a reason to spend $$ on a new rig.... ;)

V
If You Ain't The Lead Dog, The Scenery Never Changes! (Age Old Yukon Saying)

i7-860, 8GB DDR3 RAM 7-7-7-20, ATI5770 1GB, 2X 1TB HD, Corsair 750w p/s, Saitek ProFlight Yoke System+Throttle Quad+Pedals+Cyborg Keyboard.... FSX,GEX,UTX,UT2....
adkleaddog
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Tweaking & Overclocking