Affinity mask and TBM on i7?

Ideas, suggestions, tips & questions on how to supercharge your PC or software!

Re: Affinity mask and TBM on i7?

Postby NickN » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:45 pm

I know that area and I know what the problem is

you are butting heads with a 'butthead' at Aces that designed the tree tiles.

Problem.. .there is no AG marked on those tiles.. instead the lazy sonofa... just told the sim to render the MAX trees on every single tile designed specifically for trees.. that means 4500 freakin trees per tile. If thee are 10 tiles with trees in your scenery radius that means 45 thousand trees with the system caching outside the SR.. before SP1 the system had hundreds of thousands of trees on the footprint. They switch to batch call for SP1/SP2 which helped a lot but the design problem is still there

idiot

All he had to do was make tiles that supported a few clearings and mark the clearings for no trees.. it adds up fast. If you were to remove just 15% of the trees per tile thats almost 7000 objects not being looked at by the CPU and video system on a 100% SR.

Ok, so dont try to go crazy making it work... drop the AG a notch and forget it. Until a complete redesign of the tree system can be made it will be an issue. We do have an idea how to fix this but the main problem is the IDIOT also gave us no way to tell the sim to switch trees to the 'exact' right type for the location the tile is playing if we assign tree locations manually

It will switch but your totally limited to choices that may not look right since the same tiles are used all over the world everywhere!

They made the tree system generic in a utterly lazy way

Sorry.. but this is one duckup I have absolutely no sympathy for and will call this one as I see it

In some places you can fix this with landclass.. if the LC removes the trees above the alpine line as it should you get the smooth perf back

I dont know of any LC that changes the are in question here.
Last edited by NickN on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby SubZer0 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:01 pm

thanks for the explanation Nick. that ticks me off as well now that I understand why it does that around such areas. it makes me want to become some crazy computer engineer/programer to fix all the crap that some of the Aces guys such as this mother flower did. hopefully a solution to this will be found in the future.

Steve, thanks for offering to test your system anyways. we now know what we have to unfortunately deal with :-/
[center][img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1369006030.jpg[/img][/center]
SubZer0
Major
Major

Postby NickN » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:13 pm

you can try adding just the tree restriction line to the config.. set it for
TERRAIN

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=3800

I dont like adding that as it does throw off the priority system but give it a shot and see if it helps
Last edited by NickN on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby SubZer0 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:15 pm

wouldn't that throw off the sim priority and potentially cause other problems?
[center][img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1369006030.jpg[/img][/center]
SubZer0
Major
Major

Postby NickN » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:20 pm

wouldn't that throw off the sim priority and potentially cause other problems?

They added that hook to the DLLs becuse they knew what they ducked-up. As I said, I dont like using it and I would never use the building restriction line however if you are one that flys areas like that and need the relief it may be of benefit over the potential problem

I have not really tested what I posted so I dont know if it would work or not.. just doing the AG bandwidth math in my head gave me that number for the line. It may work fine and not be an issue elsewhere
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jwenham » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:45 pm

I know that area and I know what the problem is

you are butting heads with a 'butthead' at Aces that designed the tree tiles.

Problem.. .there is no AG marked on those tiles.. instead the lazy sonofa... just told the sim to render the MAX trees on every single tile designed specifically for trees.. that means 4500 freakin trees per tile. If thee are 10 tiles with trees in your scenery radius that means 45 thousand trees with the system caching outside the SR.. before SP1 the system had hundreds of thousands of trees on the footprint. They switch to batch call for SP1/SP2 which helped a lot but the design problem is still there

idiot

All he had to do was make tiles that supported a few clearings and mark the clearings for no trees.. it adds up fast. If you were to remove just 15% of the trees per tile thats almost 7000 objects not being looked at by the CPU and video system on a 100% SR.

Ok, so dont try to go crazy making it work... drop the AG a notch and forget it. Until a complete redesign of the tree system can be made it will be an issue. We do have an idea how to fix this but the main problem is the IDIOT also gave us no way to tell the sim to switch trees to the 'exact' right type for the location the tile is playing if we assign tree locations manually

It will switch but your totally limited to choices that may not look right since the same tiles are used all over the world everywhere!

They made the tree system generic in a utterly lazy way

Sorry.. but this is one duckup I have absolutely no sympathy for and will call this one as I see it

In some places you can fix this with landclass.. if the LC removes the trees above the alpine line as it should you get the smooth perf back

I dont know of any LC that changes the are in question here.

I can confirm that Nick. If you remember I posted about the same issue at KASE (Aspen). Dropping it to Dense did fix it as well as did the tree max tweek which allows us to keep the buildings as is. I did get UTX and have also added Scenery Tech LC. Those add ons did fix the issue in that area without me making any slider or cfg tweeks.

To the OP, I did the run in the Barron and well ... I think we all know the conclusion to that movie. At least there is an easy solution to it and all we have to do is move a slider 1 or two notches. Very dense was not all that bad but dense was best and MAX just plaine sucked!
Last edited by jwenham on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel i7 940 2.93 clocked to 4.0ghz Asus P6T Deluxe 6gb OCZ 1600 8-8-8-24 EVGA GTX 260 Superclocked Edition Thermalright 120 CPU Cooler Power PC & Cooling 750w PSU 1 tb Seagate Barracuda HD 500 gb Seagate Barracude HD 22" Viewsonic Widescreen Tra
jwenham
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby NickN » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:51 pm

In reality and knowing how much bandwidth the sim reserves for AG trees (20%) the real value for MAX per cell is about 3000 trees with 100% AG slider

Problem is I know that would probably cause more problems in other areas

You guys should test with a lower TBM and BP setting in this area and see what happens as well.. you may have set up for one type of flying but ducked yourself in trees

Try TBM 80, BP 70000000 frame lock 30 and MAX TREES PER CELL at 3300 on 100% AG and see what happens
Last edited by NickN on Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jwenham » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:21 pm

In reality and knowing how much bandwidth the sim reserves for AG trees (20%) the real value for MAX per cell is about 3000 trees with 100% AG slider

Problem is I know that would probably cause more problems in other areas

You guys should test with a lower TBM and BP setting in this area and see what happens as well.. you may have set up for one type of flying but ducked yourself in trees

Try TBM 80, BP 70000000 frame lock 30 and MAX TREES PER CELL at 3300 on 100% AG and see what happens

OK, I'll let you know what happens.
Intel i7 940 2.93 clocked to 4.0ghz Asus P6T Deluxe 6gb OCZ 1600 8-8-8-24 EVGA GTX 260 Superclocked Edition Thermalright 120 CPU Cooler Power PC & Cooling 750w PSU 1 tb Seagate Barracuda HD 500 gb Seagate Barracude HD 22" Viewsonic Widescreen Tra
jwenham
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby jwenham » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:45 pm

It was better but still stutter/surges. At times it was very smooth but look in the wrong direction and bump bump bump. Frames were remained high durring the flight.

jwenham
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby stevehookem » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:00 pm

Not to change the subject but I just had a horrible flight from JFK to LaGuardia. Frames dropped to 9-12 and constant stuttering. I've been flying in and out of big airports and have never had this poor of performance since getting everything else set-up correctly.

I'm a little bummed.
i7 940 at 4.0ghz
stevehookem
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby NickN » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:07 pm

It was better but still stutter/surges. At times it was very smooth but look in the wrong direction and bump bump bump. Frames were remained high durring the flight.

ok, now bump TBM and BP back up and leave the trees restricted to 3300 and try again

The bottom line is those restriction lines really do mess up the priority system so its really best to just run without the tweaks in the config and just bump the AG slider down to compensate for the aces mess.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jwenham » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:09 pm

AH yes. Possibly one of the hardest areas on the sim. If you want to fly there you will need to massage the sliders till your happy. Might need to take the SC down to Dense.
jwenham
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby NickN » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:10 pm

Not to change the subject but I just had a horrible flight from JFK to LaGuardia. Frames dropped to 9-12 and constant stuttering. I've been flying in and out of big airports and have never had this poor of performance since getting everything else set-up correctly.

I'm a little bummed.

well... figure out whats going on... did you try working the scenery complexity, AG and AL/GA traffic and/or airport vehicles?.. all of those items are hard hitting in NYC

Cars, especially with UTX are killer. I dont ever let those go above 8 which is where they stay locked everywhere

If you are saying you have taken this same flight and it was smooth then something changed

there is no 1 size fits all with this sim... NYC is a hell of an area.. just becuse you get it working in Seattle does not mean NYC will run the same.
Last edited by NickN on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jwenham » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:17 pm

ok, now bump TBM and BP back up and leave the trees restricted to 3300 and try again

The bottom line is those restriction lines really do mess up the priority system so its really best to just run without the tweaks in the config and just bump the AG slider down to compensate for the aces mess.

No go Nick. I had to set the trees at 2500 to get smooth with the AG @ 100% . Much better results just notching down the slider. Its a cryin shame cuz all them trees sure do look perty. :'(
jwenham
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby NickN » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:29 pm

then just leave the tweak out of the config.. we may not be able to attack the tree problem till the first patch for GEX EU but we are going to try
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Tweaking & Overclocking