GTX 280

Ideas, suggestions, tips & questions on how to supercharge your PC or software!

GTX 280

Postby macca22au » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:39 pm

Now that I have had my first success overclocking the i7 940 I'm feeling a little cocky.

Is it possible to tweak the GTX 280 to add to its performance?
macca22au
Captain
Captain

Re: GTX 280

Postby Wingo » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:11 am

It is quite possible. You need two programs, RivaTuner and Furmark. RivaTuner does the OCing and Furmark stresses your card to test the OC. The method is to open RivaTuner, go into the customize button of the driver settings and select System Settings. Open the fan tab and change to direct control. Set the fan to 85%. Move back to the overclocking tab Tick the "Link clocks" button and start SLOWLY moving the top two bars (Core Clock and Shader Clock) to the right (they will move together). Raise about 5mhz at a time and test with Furmark for each one. When it becomes unstable knock it back to the stable setting. Next move the Memory Clock to the right at about 10mhz at a time until it becomes unstable and move back to a stable setting. When you have found what works, set your settings and tick the "Apply overclocking at Windows start" and set the fan back to auto control. The point behind setting the fan at 85% is if it is stable with the fan locked at 85 it will be stable during games when the fan goes up to 100% and it will give you a little breathing room in the temperatures.
Wingo
Major
Major

Postby dvpro » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:43 pm

How would this method fair up on the 285 Super Clocked edition?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130446

I messed with the standard EVGA Precision tuner program that comes with the card and I found that even if I tweeked the sliders up a little bit the system became unstable. So I have just left it as is out of the box with the latest drivers. I would however like to get more out of the card if possible. I also noted when I did raise the sliders there was no noticeable difference...that I could see at least. What do ya think?

It is quite possible. You need two programs, RivaTuner and Furmark. RivaTuner does the OCing and Furmark stresses your card to test the OC. The method is to open RivaTuner, go into the customize button of the driver settings and select System Settings. Open the fan tab and change to direct control. Set the fan to 85%. Move back to the overclocking tab Tick the "Link clocks" button and start SLOWLY moving the top two bars (Core Clock and Shader Clock) to the right (they will move together). Raise about 5mhz at a time and test with Furmark for each one. When it becomes unstable knock it back to the stable setting. Next move the Memory Clock to the right at about 10mhz at a time until it becomes unstable and move back to a stable setting. When you have found what works, set your settings and tick the "Apply overclocking at Windows start" and set the fan back to auto control. The point behind setting the fan at 85% is if it is stable with the fan locked at 85 it will be stable during games when the fan goes up to 100% and it will give you a little breathing room in the temperatures.
Asus P6t Deluxe
Core i7 940
6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 @ 1600MHz
EVGA GTX 285 SC Edition
PC Power & Cooling 750
2) Samsung 22" monitors
Antec 1200
Thermalright 120
Dominator memory fan kit
Vista Ultim
dvpro
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby jwenham » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:07 pm

I messed with the standard EVGA Precision tuner program that comes with the card and I found that even if I tweeked the sliders up a little bit the system became unstable. So I have just left it as is out of the box with the latest drivers. I would however like to get more out of the card if possible. I also noted when I did raise the sliders there was no noticeable difference...that I could see at least. What do ya think?

Well... That card is already OC at the factory! Any extra you get out of it will be luck of the draw.
Last edited by jwenham on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel i7 940 2.93 clocked to 4.0ghz Asus P6T Deluxe 6gb OCZ 1600 8-8-8-24 EVGA GTX 260 Superclocked Edition Thermalright 120 CPU Cooler Power PC & Cooling 750w PSU 1 tb Seagate Barracuda HD 500 gb Seagate Barracude HD 22" Viewsonic Widescreen Tra
jwenham
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby macca22au » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:55 am

thanks Wingo:  I can't try it until the weekend.  I will report back then.
macca22au
Captain
Captain

Postby Wingo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:26 am

Due to your car already being OC'ed it is unlikely you will get anything out of it. I have an OC GTX280 and squeezed an extra 15mhz out of it, but as J said it is all luck. My GTX280 actually runs around the same speeds as a lot of the OC'ed GTX285s so I think I'm quite lucky.
Wingo
Major
Major

Return to Tweaking & Overclocking