The Bad Penny's Overclocking Adventure...

Ideas, suggestions, tips & questions on how to supercharge your PC or software!

Re: The Bad Penny's Overclocking Adventure...

Postby Plugpennyshadow » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:01 pm

Back to the adventure of overclocking.

I have settled into the new job in the new city in the new state...sort of.  No sooner had I got to TX and started, my back finally gave up on my and cried UNCLE!  Surgery it was.  In the home recovery and physical therapy stage now.  Luckily, I can do my job from home.  Dispatching is not office dependent anymore.  Pity me?  Or not.  Your choice.  LOL

Lots of simming, World of Warcraft and Ive started the OC process again.  Got lucky and there is a chapter of the Cajun Clickers computer club in Longview, TX.  One of the members came over and helped me last weekend to do a little clocking on my system.  In exchange for a steak dinner, of course.  Damn uncivilized of Chad to expect food not only for himself but for his wife and daughter as well!  Some people!

Core 2 Duo E6750@2.66GHz on P5K-E ASUS mobo with Dominator DDR2 ram suggested by Nick and new cooler.  OS on 150 VRaptor.  FSX on second VRaptor.  Both on mobo SATA.  

Result of effort?  2.8Ghz stable.  And what with the complete Nick tweak to windows and FSX, I am completely satisfied with the effort.  FSX is butter smooth in most areas.  Still get the hitchy hitchy shake in the big hub areas, but I can live without LA, NY, DC and Chi-Town.  I am a truck driver, after all.  Get the "occasionaly" stutter but can live with it as it isnt all that often.  Mainly when Im low and relatively fast.  Dont fly that way much so it is really a non-issue.

By thy way, I posted the other night in another thread that I concentrate on just the view out of the cockpit.  Though the outside views are interesting, I just ignore them with regards to trying to get smooth perf in them.  If it dont look good and fly good from inside the plane, what is the point?  Agree?  Dont agree?

The only thing I am going to do in the future for this rig is get the SATA card Nick recommends in the Windows Tweak stickie and go back to WindowsXP for FSX.  And this because of the texture and scenery loading time improvements.  

Gonna get a new 150 VRaptor drive and run a dual boot system, keeping Vista as I like many of its features for other activities.

Thanks for everyone's advice and especially you, Nick.  I tracked everything Chad told me fairly well, but some of it just went right under my boat.  Would have found some way of torching my system on my own...LOL.

Back to FSX...

The Bad Penny re-surfaces!
Plugpennyshadow
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Tweaking & Overclocking