AutoEndTasks Problem in Registry

Ideas, suggestions, tips & questions on how to supercharge your PC or software!

AutoEndTasks Problem in Registry

Postby DazzleStar » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:44 pm

Hi, I was looking on the web the other day to find out how to speed up my shut down times. I've done stuff in the Windows XP registry editor before, but this was a problem. If you have a look at the screenshot I took the data is binary and not a string value, like it should be. Any help would be appreciated. :D

Thanks.
My specs:
Dell Dimension 2400
2.66GHz Pentium 4
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 256mb
1gb DDR memory
80gb Seagate hard drive
DazzleStar
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: AutoEndTasks Problem in Registry

Postby NickN » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:12 pm

easier way to deal with this... use the software XP AntiSpy

Select the Windows UPDATE profile so you do not lose your important connections for Windows update, then select ENABLE FAST SHUTDOWN and click the APPLY button

that will set this key and a few others which are required for correct operation in shutdown for the right balanced values
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby DazzleStar » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:44 am

Select the Windows UPDATE profile so you do not lose your important connections for Windows update, then select ENABLE FAST SHUTDOWN and click the APPLY button

that will set this key and a few others which are required for correct operation in shutdown for the right balanced values

OK, I might try this, but first I was wondering if this would work. If I entered a new string value and called it 'AutoEndTasks', it would overwrite the other one. Set it to 1 and it might work, I am not too sure though. If your idea would work better I would use that, I'm just wondering really. Thanks for the help Nick.
My specs:
Dell Dimension 2400
2.66GHz Pentium 4
1gb DDR memory
80gb Seagate hard drive
DazzleStar
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby DazzleStar » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:51 am

OK, I might try this, but first I was wondering if this would work. If I entered a new string value and called it 'AutoEndTasks', it would overwrite the other one. Set it to 1 and it might work, I am not too sure though. If your idea would work better I would use that, I'm just wondering really. Thanks for the help Nick.

Disregard that, I used XP Antispy which you recommended and the problem is solved: my PC shuts down a lot quicker. Thanks for the help. ;D
My specs:
Dell Dimension 2400
2.66GHz Pentium 4
1gb DDR memory
80gb Seagate hard drive
DazzleStar
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Tweaking & Overclocking