Overclock seems stable yet FSX causes BSOD

Ideas, suggestions, tips & questions on how to supercharge your PC or software!

Overclock seems stable yet FSX causes BSOD

Postby mhoffman50 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:43 pm

I have gone to the dark side and have overclocked my E6600 from 2.4GHz to 3.1.  Using Orthos I found a CPU voltage setting that runs for more than 8 hours at about 45C on air cooling alone.  So far every application except FSX runs fine.  For FSX it varys from 5 minutes to 30 minutes but I receive a BSOD that flashes so fast I can't read the error and the computer reboots.  The CPU temp running FSX never goes above 41C. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for an analysis path I should take to determine the cause.  Thanks for taking the time to read and possibly respond.  System Specs:

MB: EVGA 680SLI
CPU: E6600
MEM: 2gig OCZ800
GPU: 8800GTS
HD: 320gig SATA
mhoffman50
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Overclock seems stable yet FSX causes BSOD

Postby GunnerMan » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:45 pm

I bet it's your ram. FSX is prolly the only program you run thats eats up so much ram. Your ram prolly isint stable at those higher speeds. Run Memtest or Orthos with ram checking ;)
GunnerMan
Major
Major

Postby mhoffman50 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:56 pm

Thanks Gunner!  I'll try that.
mhoffman50
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Puchu » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:50 pm

goto control panel -> system ->advanced tab -> startup and recovery button.  uncheck the 'automatically restart' button. This will stop the computer from automatically restarting during a crash. But be careful!!  If you leave it on this blue error screen too long it could start burning up your hardware. If you are away from your computer and it crashes... come back later.. be prepared to find a dead computer. So after you've troublshooted it make sure to turn it back off.

You probably need to up the voltages to your ram. Should fix your problem.
Some ram just can't handle it though. Good quality memory can make a world of difference. I suggest corsair xms.. it's made for overclocking and is the most stable stuff that I've ever used.

A powersupply that isn't strong enough can cause this problem as well.

Also, be careful.. it sounds like your temperature sensor on your cpu might not be functioning properly. (this is quite common) check temps right when the computer is turned on after being off for a long time.. then check it again under full load to see how much it has moved. If not much.. it probably doesn't even work.
Puchu
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby michaelmichael » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:29 am

Mhoiffman 50

i also have a e6600 at 2.4 and would like to o/c. how did you do that.my mobo is D975xbx.

advise please

michaelmichael
michaelmichael
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby HugoCampos » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:47 pm

Mhoiffman 50

i also have a e6600 at 2.4 and would like to o/c. how did you do that.my mobo is D975xbx.

advise please

michaelmichael

You should probably create another threat for this but oh well... to clock your cpu you can increase the processor bus. That will also increase the memory speed so you'll probably have to slow the RAM speed down a little bit. The trick is finding the sweet spot: good cpu clock and good memory clock... and good FSB : DRAM ratio.
Last edited by HugoCampos on Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz cooled w/ Zalman 9700
4GB G. Skill DDRII @ 800Mhz
512Mb AMD/ATI HD2900XT
Creative Audigy 2 ZX
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
FSX Deluxe version + Acceleration
HugoCampos
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby volunteer » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:01 am

I have a Asus P5N E sli with a E6600. Its as sweet as  a  nut at 3400 with memory at 800 on standard cooling. FSX did crash the system once. After the overclock - I operate the computer a few times to settle it all down. The time fSX crashed the system - I had not let the memory settle after switch on. My processor is busy for 3 minutes until it settles down : perhaps its this.
E6600 overclocked to 3400. Asus P5N E sli with 3GB memory, Vista and 7900GS vid card. new Pro Yoke and pedals
volunteer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby John Downing » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:00 pm

I don't think its your overclock check your PSU because it can go on and off.
John Downing
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Tweaking & Overclocking