Deleting areas that are never "flown"

Ideas, suggestions, tips & questions on how to supercharge your PC or software!

Deleting areas that are never "flown"

Postby Mothball » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:34 am

First, I will say that I am NOT an expert with sims by any means, just a constant tinkerer. So, with that out of way, I tried this, this past weekend. I have a 300MB harddrive that I have consistently used 74% of my total disk space with both FS9 & FSX. The very first thing I did was become very, very honest with myself. I know  FS9 & FSX have some great scenery features available such as the Sphinx and the Great Pyamids, great sights in Australia, Europe and Asia. This is where the "self" honesty came in; I NEVER have "flown" those areas before because I'm usually trying to get more proficient with controlling and monitoring the aircraft, and of course, I do look out the windows, but I'm not really sight-seeing and I have no quarells with "flying" these other places. Again, just self honesty. It turns out that I "fly" in about five general areas in the U.S. with very short excursions into Canada and Mexico every once in a while. Well, with much tinkering and countless uninstall/re-installs, I began parusing through all the files. I got to the Scenery/World/Scenery area, and I noticed Same, Asia, Oceana, etc... I figured, what the heck, I'll try it... I deleted all of the areas that I don't "fly" - Asia , Europe, Australia, etc. in both FS9 & FSX, and I now using a little bit less than 40% of my harddrive space...THAT made quite a difference. I noticed that my, already, quite smooth graphics are even smoother and even have become a little bit sharper. Like I said, I'm no expert, I'm just relaying something that I tried out...Semper Fi, Dave
Mothball

Re: Deleting areas that are never "flown"

Postby MWISimmer » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:54 pm

300MB hard drive? Are you sure? Don't you mean 300GB?
Either way I can't see how it would make a difference.
MWISimmer

Postby Mothball » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:34 pm

Yeah, LOL, you know, I thought about that after I walked away from the computer and drove down the street
Last edited by Mothball on Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothball

Postby an-225 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:37 am

Heh, I don't recommend you delete entire areas...watch the bugs roll in now. ;)
an-225

Postby caveman16 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:28 am

Good Morning, NOW here's a post that you've put in that is of GREAT interest to me and I'm sure to most everyone else.   I remember removing all the planes[except the one I was using] from the FS2002 because the PC I had at the time just wouldn't /couldn't handle it.   Terrible behavior.    With the planes removed there was a marked improvement in everthing in the Sim.    It's going to be interesting to see the input on this one.

Wish you the best,  caveman
My PC's Specks:  Case:  Thermaltake v7000c/ 5 very quiet case fans.  Motherboard: AMD/ASUS-A8N32-Sli Deluxe Socket 939  Processor:  AMD Athion 64x2  4400+/Socket939 Dual Core.  Operating System:  Windows XP Hom
caveman16
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Mothball » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:11 am

Well, so far so good. I am interested in the possible bugs that may occur though. Would it have to do with the AI traffic? I did not delete anything "global", "local", or any of the four digit items. I just deleted the continents that I don't use. I have also removed the aircraft that I don't use in the past and presently or I have modified some of the aircraft to reflect real airlines
Last edited by Mothball on Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothball

Postby an-225 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:48 pm

If you ever decide to go flying over my home country/disregarding Greece, Australia, you will most likely find that you have deleted the landmass, replacing it with a large black area, that you can fly through, and get UNDER the terrain. ;)
an-225

Postby Mothball » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:04 pm

Yeah, that's what I would expect to experience in that situation, but if reloaded/repaired FSX before I "flew" those areas, then everything would be back to "normal" right? Are there any other bugs to consider with my current set up? Semper Fi, Dave
Mothball

Return to Tweaking & Overclocking