Free up resources.

Ideas, suggestions, tips & questions on how to supercharge your PC or software!

Free up resources.

Postby Katahu » Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:21 pm

I am not going to make the same ugly comments the Fake Katahu made in the past.

You know that you want to free up a ton of resources on your computer just to make FS run faster and respond faster. But you hate the fact that you have to press ctrl-alt-del, then select the programs to close (never close system tray nor Explorer, you need them), click end task and start the process allllllllllll over again for each program. You hate that.

Warning Warning Warning Warning Warning Warning

The steps that I will discuss must ONLY be handled by those who know EVERYTHING about computers. This is not for newbies. I cannot garantee that this process will improve FPS and I cannot garantee that there will be positive results. So be EXTREMELY careful.

Go to Start menu, click Run, type in MSCONFIG within the empty field. A window will pop up. Click the start up tab. Uncheck any start up program that you don't want other than systray.

I say again, this process is definitly not for newbies, amatures, rookies or any other untrained people. This is for SERIOUS computer geeks who know what to do and what not to do in this case. This process must only be used as a last resort.

Correct me if I'm wrong in this.

PS: the fake KATAHU is still out for sure. I am the real one.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Free up resources.

Postby Hagar » Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:53 pm

You could save the bother & do all this automatically (& safely) with ENDitALL. http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/enditall/

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby _526th_Fireman » Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:27 am

How about XP? Got my wife a machine with XP and it is diff. I have prodded around on it and in the Start Up section there is really not that much to shut down. I suspect the slow performance of XP lies in the Resources section but not familiar with it. Got a great XP tweak to safely shut down the hundreds of apps. apparently running behind the scenes in XP? It's silly that my machine, at half the speed of hers, loads up, surfs and runs so much faster than hers.  :-/
Systemax Sabre Ultimate gaming rig.

I got all the goodies and all the power I need to run anything thrown at me for the next two months!
_526th_Fireman
Major
Major

Postby WebbPA » Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:58 pm

I've turned off systray in W98 with no ill effects.  Try it.  The worst thing that will happen is that you'll have to reboot.  You will get a "Task Not Responding" message - just hit "End task now".  In a few seconds the yellow speaker will disappear from your system tray.

I've also been using a handy utility called Custom Startup, available here: http://gboban.hypermart.net/csup/

It will let you tweak all of your startup options and save multiple configurations.  Beats turning things off and on manually.
WebbPA
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby RAAF453_Shep » Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:23 am

'Ello All, and G'day from the 453rd Virtual Squadron....

I run a sweet little program that enables me to control all that starts up , with the best , a refreshing re-boot....

"http://wheresjames.com"
Last edited by RAAF453_Shep on Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
RAAF453_Shep
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby _526th_Fireman » Sat May 17, 2003 5:27 pm

Hey Shep,

Great site, and when I get home tom. I will go get it. Thanks for the heads up.

Oh, and your link was bad.   :o  Little " at the end buggered it.

http://wheresjames.com/
Systemax Sabre Ultimate gaming rig.

I got all the goodies and all the power I need to run anything thrown at me for the next two months!
_526th_Fireman
Major
Major

Return to Tweaking & Overclocking