Water Cooling and Over-clocking

Ideas, suggestions, tips & questions on how to supercharge your PC or software!

Re: Water Cooling and Over-clocking

Postby NickN » Mon May 19, 2008 11:21 pm

That's interesting you say that, Nick. Many reviews I have red on the WWW have said that it is much quieter than air. This makes me think some of these reviews may be biased!

Quiet is relative.. it depends on what you are use too

many systems are made with unneeded loud fans... mine never are

My tower is air cooled and when not in 3Dmode, dead silent.. under full overclocked power my tower db level (sound noise level) is right around 32db as measured by my own equiptment from 2 feet away

Now, if you can find a water system which has that db sound rating and cools the GPU, CPU, chipset and hard drives, I will buy it... even if its 800+ dollars
Last edited by NickN on Mon May 19, 2008 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Brett_Henderson » Tue May 20, 2008 6:08 am

With a large enough reservoir, you don't need fans..

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  just use an aquarium with a submersible pump and it will be dead silent..

Heck, use a REAL aquarium (with fish) and your aquarium heater will have a lower duty cycle when you're simming  :D

(couldn't resist)
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby NickN » Tue May 20, 2008 10:41 am

[quote]With a large enough reservoir, you don't need fans..

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Last edited by NickN on Tue May 20, 2008 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Brett_Henderson » Tue May 20, 2008 12:21 pm

Why use a case ?

Not long ago, I helped a friend build a gaming system.. his wife did not like computers in plain view; she didn't even like computer furniture.

We mounted the m-board and HDD between floor joists (from the basement, right under the desk, and put the optical drive inside a lower desk drawer (maybe 18" from the m-board). A wireless keyboard and mouse later;
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby NickN » Tue May 20, 2008 12:32 pm

Funny you should mention that... my entire house has a primary control system (2 server motherboards) which is mounted in a Nema4 enclosure and is used for everything from answering the phone, light and sprinkler control, security system and sends HD video/surround audio to all rooms for entertainment throughout the house using 'in wall' blueray DVD units and a repeater for transmitting remote control (A/V) from each room... and is the primary network station for for the house and WiFI... and so I can remote access when not at home. It has no enclose fans due to its location and size of the enclosure.

does he have any videos he want to unload?

:D ;D
Last edited by NickN on Tue May 20, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Brett_Henderson » Tue May 20, 2008 1:33 pm

And I thought I was fancy   ::)

(she REALLY enjoyed her hot-tub time)
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby drummer_tom » Wed May 21, 2008 2:24 am

Funny you should mention that... my entire house has a primary control system (2 server motherboards) which is mounted in a Nema4 enclosure and is used for everything from answering the phone, light and sprinkler control, security system and sends HD video/surround audio to all rooms for entertainment throughout the house using 'in wall' blueray DVD units and a repeater for transmitting remote control (A/V) from each room... and is the primary network station for for the house and WiFI... and so I can remote access when not at home. It has no enclose fans due to its location and size of the enclosure.

does he have any videos he want to unload?

:D ;D

That's just showing off  :'(

I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D
drummer_tom
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Slotback » Fri May 23, 2008 6:51 am

WTF Nick are you a billionair or something? I WANT ONE!!!1
Slotback

Postby NickN » Fri May 23, 2008 12:39 pm

In holdings or capitol?    LOL

No, I am not a billionaire

I have just had access to a lot of fun toys over the years and started a financial investment portfolio when I was 16, and a mother/father who knew how to play the game and taught me well.

Although I did, I have not had to work past 1991 and have managed to hit quite a few of the larger IPO goldmines, like MS stock. I know when to buy it and when to dump it and I have lost my fair share playing that game too.

What
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby drummer_tom » Fri May 23, 2008 3:54 pm

Any chance you would ever let us have a look at your humble abode Nick if we were passing by?  ;D
drummer_tom
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby NickN » Sat May 24, 2008 7:52 pm

I live on an island just west of Seattle across Puget Sound and if you can get past the security system, your welcome to stop by

;D

The city made me remove the ABL Laser turrets so its a lot easier than it use to be   :D
Last edited by NickN on Sat May 24, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby FC5452 » Sat May 24, 2008 9:11 pm

Its garbage, both design and parts quality

The ONLY complete water system on the market that is worth the 'use' (not the money spent) is the Zalman Resonator XT

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cooler ... or-xt.html

http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Produ ... sp?Idx=185

That only cools the processor too

The only way to really use liquid right and cool everything in the tower is to make it yourself from good quality separate parts ordered online and that takes experience.

You can make a liquid system that will keep things cooler than air, however it is NOT quieter than air cooling and it will cost you, quite a bit.

With the newer 45nm processors and newer designed motherboard... liquid cooling is dead. You can overclock to the max on air now (except extreme overclocks which you dont use for everyday computing)

Hmm Like to add that one to the system I currently have, I think I can tie that to my existing loop and put that unit out in the cooler basement :)
ASUS P5n32E-SLI
Q6700 OC'd to 3.4
EVGA 8800GTX
D/D Water Cooled 1000W
Corsair PC8500 4-4-4-12-2T 4Gigs
FC5452
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby drummer_tom » Sun May 25, 2008 9:38 am

[quote]
I live on an island just west of Seattle across Puget Sound and if you can get past the security system, your welcome to stop by

;D

The city made me remove the ABL Laser turrets so its a lot easier than it use to be
drummer_tom
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby NickN » Sun May 25, 2008 10:23 am

[quote][quote]

;D

The city made me remove the ABL Laser turrets so its a lot easier than it use to be
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Previous

Return to Tweaking & Overclocking