X-Plane

PC Software. Anything to do with PC Games & software!

X-Plane

Postby Bubblehead » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:10 pm

I downloaded the X-Plane demo and I thought it has some potentials. However just like FSX it is somewhat demanding as it needed more RAMs. I have WinXP 32 bit so I can't go over 3 Gigs. Anyone have any experience with this new flight Sim game?
Bubblehead
Captain
Captain

Re: X-Plane

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:22 pm

Well...

It's not really a "new" flight sim. It's up to version 10 now.

Asking, "how good it is" is like asking "which operating system is better: Windows, Apple, or Linux".

Devotees of one or the other will fight to the death defending "THEIR" system.

FSX has the clear advantages of the most add-on developers and the largest number of users. FSX has the clear disadvantage in that Microsoft has stopped working on it, and that it doesn't take full advantage of newer graphic cards.

X-Plane 10, on the other hand, has the clear advantage that it's still being developed, and the newest release of X-Plane 10 has both 32bit and 64bit built into the (online) installer. It can use all of the memory and processors you can throw at it (although the difference in my memory usage, before and after XP10 startup & program shutdown, is only 2489MB on my system).

One set of disadvantages for XP10 is both less planes and less scenery. Another is that the user interface needs to be considerably improved on XP10. IMO, anyway.

To be honest, the developer of X-Plane is working under a severe disadvantage. He's working with a VERY small crew while fighting off a patent troll law firm. That
Last edited by OldAirmail on Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:06 pm

Whilst X-Plane isn't quite as graphically impressive as FSX, it runs better on a lower-end system and the flight realism is AMAZING! There isn't much in the way of freeware for it these days sadly.
You could do a lot worse than try the latest release of the amazing freeware Flight Gear which we LOVE here ;)
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:53 pm

It's been over 1 1/2 years since I last tried FlightGear, but I notice that the last posting, as of today, was Aug 1st, 2012.

Unless Prepar3d 2.0 ever comes out and has something
Last edited by OldAirmail on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby F35LightningII » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:45 pm

I'm waiting for X-Plane 11  ;D
i5 3570K @ 4.3GHz, ASRock Z77 Pro3, EVGA GTX 670 FTW, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Samsung 830, 500GB Seagate Barracuda, Thermaltake Armor A60, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, Logitech K800, Logitech M510, Windows 8 Pro x64, FSX Acceleration
F35LightningII
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby MASABI TROOPER » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:21 pm

A friend of mine has x-plane and i really prefere fsx acelleration................it seems to be better.
:violin:
Trooper
Bruno (Trooper)
MASABI TROOPER
Captain
Captain

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:23 am

F35LightningII wrote:I'm waiting for X-Plane 11  ;D

I'd be happy with X-Plane10.1 if the .1 meant a much better, more capable user interface. The UI does have some very good points that I'd like to see them keep.

But over all, it keeps me from using it. In fact the last time that I started it up was 3 or 4 months ago.

If the developer would just concentrate on that, I think that it would be a real success.

On the other side, though, imagine how p!$$*& off FSX fans found be if all of their stuff was changed?

I bought X-Plane 10 directly from their website more as a gesture of sympathy for the guy being attacked by, AND FIGHTING, a software troll. I wish him all the luck in the world.

I place software and patent trolls in the same category as child molesters. Actually, perhaps even lower.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Return to Computer Games & Software