Firefox Quantum....and problems!

PC Software. Anything to do with PC Games & software!

Firefox Quantum....and problems!

Postby Fozzer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:59 am

Having been a dedicated Firefox Browser user since the first issue in 2004; the other day a message popped up on my screen (as they do!) "Update your Firefox Browser to the latest edition....
.... it will be good for you...
....trust us" ...

So...silly-old-me did so (as you do), and downloaded the new "Firefox Quantum Browser", overwriting my old Firefox Browser!

Now, my Old Firefox Browser contained all sorts of useful extensions and plug-ins, one of them being my lovely; "Foxclocks" program which displays the time zones around the World of all the places I visit in my Browser each day: Europe, North America, Australia and New Zealand, etc, in a handy strip along the bottom of the Browser!

Its always nice to know if my various Internet Chums around the World are wide awake in the daytime and listening to me, or fast asleep in bed at night and ignoring me!

...anyhoo...After installing the new; "Firefox Quantum Browser", I find that my beloved "Foxclocks" is no longer allowed, due to some strange hoo-haa called "Legacy", which disallows the installation of Foxclocks for some reason!

The new Quantum Browser also contained all sorts of confusing and unwanted "fancy stuff" as well...(A bit like Windows 10!).

So...I did an Internet search for some information on Firefox, and reverted my Firefox Browser back again to the previous familiar version which "allowed" all the useful bits and bobs again, including my "Foxclocks" program!

At the moment I am running Firefox version; "52.5.0" which is running as smooth as silk...with all my faithful add-ons installed!!

So there you go, Chums....Yet another case where; "newer" is not always "better"!

Paul...I like "Old Stuff"....a bit like me!.... :D ...!

P.S. I only use "Google Chrome" Browser for "casting" Youtube Videos from my Computer to my TV Screen...it works better/easier that way.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Firefox Quantum....and problems!

Postby hertzie » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:05 am

I completely agree with you, what a shit this new one. Thanks for the suggestion to set it back to an "old" version, I'll do that as soon as I can.

Regards, hertzie.
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:36 am

hertzie wrote:I completely agree with you, what a shit this new one. Thanks for the suggestion to set it back to an "old" version, I'll do that as soon as I can.

Regards, hertzie.

Ta, Hertzie!.... ;) ...!

Over the Internet years, I have found that Old Versions of Computer Software is/are often much simpler and friendlier than fancy New Versions of stuff!... :? ...!

Old Versions of Music, etc, players. Old Versions of Picture, etc, viewers. Old Versions of Browsers. Old Versions of Anti-virus Software, etc....

.....even Old Versions of Microsoft Windows!.... :dance: ...!

Old Photo's of me are much preferable to New Photos of me....trust me....

...(apart from 1970's, "Flower-Power" photo's of me!)... :shock: ....!

Paul.... :lol: ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Boromir » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:26 am

I found a version of foxclocks for Quantum that is working here...of course, if one wants to use the flashy new browser. I'm having a bit of a struggle getting used to the new layout...grrrrr...but I do see it a bit snappier than the older one. Agree though, seems everything is being redone for the generation of people that needs to be doing ten things at once...driving 20mph over the speed limit, tailgating if you're not, holding their devices up to their ears whilst doing it all...oh could I go on a rant. Caffeine is in everything.

https://foxclocks.org/extension-help

cheers,

Greg-O
Boromir
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:25 am

In the case of the latest version of Mozilla Firefox Browser; "Firefox Quantum", Mozilla appears to claim that some of the previous Extensions and Plug-ins in the earlier Firefox versions are disallowed due to; "Legacy issues", and cannot be included in the latest version....>>>

Legacy:

See Objective; Computing.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/legacy

Paul....Legacy: I'm going to leave my old version of Firefox in my Will. (Maybe)

..... ;) .... ;) ....!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ftldave » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:03 pm

I have been dreading Quantum, too. At my place of work, Firefox has always been the preferred browser for people who need to print hard copy from online sites, i.e. online invoices, print orders, etc. Yes, there's still a need for printing in this online world, especially when $money$ is involved.

Of all the browsers, including IE, Chrome, Opera, Edge, it's always been Firefox that had the best printed output, and printing html stuff is most always tricky to begin with. I do hope the Mozilla crew didn't mess up printing. :|
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Computer Games & Software