There ain't no such thing as a free lunch

PC Software. Anything to do with PC Games & software!

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:09 pm

The bill for your free lunch will be here shortly. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And if you call in the next FIVE MINUTES you can get Windows 10 for FREE!

A Yup. Windows 10 for free. Sounded good didn't it?

Well, There ain't no such thing as a free lunch, and the price may be higher than many wanted to pay.

It looks like Windows 10 may be serving advertisements through you operating system. Time will tell if it really happens, or how bad it may be.

Advertising in Windows has reached an exasperating new low

I don't know what triggers OneDrive advertisements in Explorer. I don't know if they appear in Windows 10 stable builds or just Insider Previews as a taste of things to come. I don't know that I even care any more.

.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Re: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch

Postby ftldave » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:29 am

In the corporate world of dimwitted executives and moron marketing managers, that's called "a suggestion", not an ad. Another example of how people who work for big corporations are compelled to do very stupid things. Aren't "free" markets great? As in "do whatever you want to your customers, because nobody important is watching".

Here's how to turn them off:

How to Turn Off Onedrive Ads and Notifications in Windows File Explorer
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:59 am

This has been going on for a while ??? and it's mainly a part of MS Onedrive?

The article mentions that you can turn some of the ads off at the expense of loosing legitimate notifications, but I actually like to keep my programs up to date. Not so much for the "new & improved" features that I rarely find useful, but for the possibility that they may help to protect against viruses & malware.

OS ads, huh. Live and learn.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I saw enough benefits in Windows 10 Professional that I paid for it. And I've never seen these ads.

Also, and this is the "getting old" part, I want full possession of my programs and data. And I want access to them when I want them.

Power problem? I have a generator. Internet problem? I have full possession of my programs & data. No problems.

SSDs & hard drives are so cheep that keeping your data on the "cloud" doesn't make sense to me. I have full and incremental backups.

TWO sets to be exact. One that is frequently updated, and one in a fire box that's in a fire safe.

Yes, I'm redundant. Even my wife has her own fire safe.

I suppose that I'm a cranky old bastard too. One of the reason that I gave up TV years ago is that I couldn't stand the incredibly stupid ads.

I pity you poor fools people who feel the need to stay up to date with the laugh tracks of whatever the current "culturally popular" TV show is.

Actually, I don't pity you. You make your choices, you live with them.

Yeah. Cranky old bastard. :lol: :lol: :lol:
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Sinkrate » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:44 am

Beware of clouds – they don’t all have silver linings! :ugeek:
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby H » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:16 am

OldAirmail wrote:This has been going on for a while ??? and it's mainly a part of MS Onedrive?

The article mentions that you can turn some of the ads off at the expense of loosing legitimate notifications, but I actually like to keep my programs up to date. Not so much for the "new & improved" features that I rarely find useful, but for the possibility that they may help to protect against viruses & malware.

OS ads, huh. Live and learn.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I saw enough benefits in Windows 10 Professional that I paid for it. And I've never seen these ads.

Also, and this is the "getting old" part, I want full possession of my programs and data. And I want access to them when I want them.

Power problem? I have a generator. Internet problem? I have full possession of my programs & data. No problems.

SSDs & hard drives are so cheep that keeping your data on the "cloud" doesn't make sense to me. I have full and incremental backups.

TWO sets to be exact. One that is frequently updated, and one in a fire box that's in a fire safe.

Yes, I'm redundant. Even my wife has her own...
Part of my typo problem is that I'm thinking ahead of what I'm typing -- but I do similar while reading. Now, if necessary, it gets corrected as I read the actual words -- but, for a fraction of a second, I thought you might be going through a physical version of windows...
:shock:

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:06 am

On a serious note: I have Windows 10 Pro and have never seen any ads within the OS it's self. This is the first time that I've heard of it.

Can anyone confirm that this occurs in the other versions?

I know that MS has to make a profit, and I don't begrudge them that, but to have them within the OS seems a bit too much.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby zswobbie1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:05 am

Nothing in 'Home', & I'm using One Drive!
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Computer Games & Software