32 vs 64 bit dilemma HELP!!

PC Software. Anything to do with PC Games & software!

32 vs 64 bit dilemma HELP!!

Postby Hawkeye07 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:11 pm

I'm hoping one of our more experienced members can shed some light on this one for me.

Here's the problem: My computer was built for me by my stepson and my Windows 7 Ultimate was installed by my
son-in-law. over the last few months I've been getting the dreaded "counterfeit" warning. (No I don't trust Microsoft's updates
so I didn't catch this sooner. My F.U.) Come to find out my son-in-law used the same key as on his machine so IT IS counterfeit for my computer.

To correct this I just purchased a new copy of W7 on eBay and it comes with two discs, one is 32 bit and the other is 64 bit.

The easiest solution would be to use the 32 bit key since that is what my computer has installed now. BUT!! I keep hearing that
the 64 bit is faster and if I remember other posts correctly, with 64 bit you can add more memory cards. (which I already have)

Now to stir up the confusion pot even more... I wonder if I should install the best choice on my Hard Driver or on my external SSD
which is where I have my FSX Acceleration and many aircraft. I've read OAM stating that the SSD is way faster. Sounds good....

I was thinking about replacing my Internal Hard Drive with a new one and keeping my SSD strictly FSX. I have a bid on a
Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB hard drive. Bidding closes tomorrow.

So it boils down to this (I think?)

32 bit or 64 bit?
Hard Drive or SSD?
Same older Hard Drive or new VelociRaptor?

'nother thought...Can I install a 64 bit program on my original Hard Drive without losing all my FSX or other Apps & programs?
What about bookmarks on FireFox?

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Re: 32 vs 64 bit dilemma HELP!!

Postby Merlin0859 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:57 pm

64 bit is definitely faster. However remember fsx in particular is a 32 bit program. Overall though a 64bit build will last you farther in the future. 64bit will recognize 8gig of ram. A program maynot use it if it's 32bit though. Even if Win7 does see the memory. I run Win7 64bit on a lower spec machine and am constantly surprised how much I don't realize it is a lower end machine. I can't honestly weigh in on the ssd or hard drive question as I don't own one. Having said that I'd personally go ssd if I had that option. Retired finances keep me from it at present!:-) Although they're not that expensive. The newer velociraptor would be my choice there as well. Faster hard drive is always better. I hope some of this helps. Before I retired I was a computer repairman in the real world. Thirty some odd years of experience. Good luck and by the way that's crappy about the windows key. Son-in-law should have known Microsoft wouldn't let that fly for long. Again good luck! :-)
Merlin0859
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hawkeye07 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:40 pm

Thanks for the reply Merlin. I'm retired too and I had to save up my pennies for quite a while for the new SSD and W7 CD's. Buying on eBay sure helped though.
I appreciate your info, gives me more to think about. I forgot to mention my computer is 64 bit compatible by the way.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby zswobbie1 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:12 am

So, if you have a 32 bit operating system, it will only use 4GB RAM memory. a 32 bit program, such as the flight sims, will run, within the 4GB RAM. That 4GB of usable ram is made up of program memory PLUS the memory of the graphics card, less a bit of overhead RAM. So, if you have, for example, a 32 bit operating system, with 8GB RAM & 2GB graphics memory, only a maximum of 4GB will be used.
A 64bit operating system will be able to run a 32bit program, using the full 4GB RAM, (a 32bit program can only access 4GB memory in total), as well as using whatever RAM the graphics card has.

Therefore, a 32bit operating system, running a 32bit program, even with more than 4GB RAM, will end up sluggish, as there is no extra memory headroom.

So, a 64bit operating system IS faster, as all the RAM is available, 4GB for a 32bit program, & whatever graphics RAM there is. If there is more than 4GB RAM available, even better, as the extra RAM will be used for other PC stuff.

I hope this makes sense. :think:
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hawkeye07 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:06 am

Yes it does make sense zswobbie 1. Thanks for the input. Now my question is how compatible is FSX with a 64 bit system? I read some posts where simmers were having trouble with some of their aircraft or scenery and it seemed to be a compatibility issue.

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Shadowcaster » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:45 am

Hawkeye07 wrote:Yes it does make sense zswobbie 1. Thanks for the input. Now my question is how compatible is FSX with a 64 bit system? I read some posts where simmers were having trouble with some of their aircraft or scenery and it seemed to be a compatibility issue.

I have run FSX on a variety or Windows 64bit systems and have never had any problems with compatibility, the present i5 based system running Windows 10 64bit works beautifully with FSX SE.

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby zswobbie1 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:59 am

Yup, no problems at all. On the surface, you cannot tell the difference.
I'm running 3x versions of FS2004, FSX (now dumped) & P3D.

There has been talk of installing your sim NOT in it's requested default location, but in another location. For example.. creating a folder in C:\ called 'Simulations' or something like that. This, it is claimed, will make things easier, as Microsoft tends to moan whenever you need to change things in the 'Program Files' or the 'Program files (x86) ' folders. Yes Windows 64bit creates 2x Program Files folders. 1x for 64bit programs, & the other (x86) where 32bit programs will be installed. Do not worry about this at all. Whatever you install will find it's right place.

So, I tried this by installing the sim where it wanted to install, and then a second install in C;\ Games. Just to see.
Well, after turning down the UAC slider (as I have always done, all it does is to stop Microsoft moaning), right clicked the desktop icon & clicked 'Run as Admin'

So, after about 20 installs on various machines, I have never had any issues at all!

Maybe this is a bit confusing, BUT bottom line.....
No issues with running a 32bit program in a 64bit operating system at all!
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hawkeye07 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:47 pm

Thanks for the additional info guys! That eliminates one of my concerns. I have also moved the location of my FSX program. First I took it out of Program Files just like you did zswobbie 1 and placed it in C: drive. After I bought my SSD I copied it to the SSD and made the original the backup copy. I recently decided my SSD copy was getting too slow or containing too many add-ons
so instead of de-cluttering it I made a third somewhat abbreviated copy which is also on my SSD.

So now the big question of the day is where to install the 64 bit version?

Options are: C: Drive
SSD
My second hard drive which has Snow Leopard on it which died months ago after a big Apple update (which I'll never do again) for which I can't find a fix for anywhere.
(Really ticks me off because I like Snow Leopard!)
Buy a new Western Digital VelociRaptor 300 GB hard drive.

What do you guys think would be the best option? ***Never fear, which ever one I choose I won't come back and blame you if it doesn't work out.***

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby zswobbie1 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:01 am

Mmmm, decisions, decisions!!
I would start afresh, by cleaning out the SSD, (the boot drive?) & install the 64bit operating system there.
Maybe get a new drive & install the sim there?
Then, from http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library, download & run the Registry Repair kit. This will tell Windows where the sim is sitting. Your payware stuff might have to be re-installed.

Or, Just re-install FSX. Yup, a pain in the butt, but maybe could be the better option.

So many options, go the less complicated route, less hair pulling that way! <<v
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Shadowcaster » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:28 am

Yea would certainly agree that is the best way forward, my install is always Windows on one drive (in my case the C drive) together with all my apps (things like teracopy, PSP5 ect). Then FSX is installed on it's own drive (in my case a 1 Terabyte SATA) together with all the FSX addons, although it may take some extra time it's well worth doing.

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Return to Computer Games & Software