ProFlightSimulator - Opinions

PC Software. Anything to do with PC Games & software!

ProFlightSimulator - Opinions

Postby pete » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:51 am

http://www.proflightsimulator.com/?hopc2s=secure1

Just got a promotional email about this. Looks interesting but my biggest questions would be addonability - and open source.
If they control everything and hand out what they create - personally I loose a lot of interest.

However - this may be the next big one?? (If you ask me this is the kind of thing FS* should have been)

Realise this is a promo and shortcomings will come from users over time. Remember 'Flight' looked promising - proved to be very much otherwise ...
This DOES look pretty good though
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Re: ProFlightSimulator - Opinions

Postby mrplanecrazzy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:47 am

Pete, don't mean to burst your bubble, but you might wanna read this.

http://www.flightgear.org/flightprosim.html :think:
Intel(R) Core™ i7-4790K - ASUS Z97-A - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 - 250GB Samsung 840 EVO - 1.5TB Gaming Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000RPM - Corsair 32GB (8GBx4) DDR3/2133MHz - 900 Watts -Apevia Warlock Power Supply LG 49" 4K Monitor 4096x2160
mrplanecrazzy
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:50 am

This was recently discussed in another thread. http://forums.simviation.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=174070

General opinion seems to be that it's an expensive rip-off of FlightGear which is free.* http://www.flightgear.org/

*Not against the law as FlightGear is Open Source.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:08 am

No bubble -- I was aware of a commercial company using Flightgear some years back --- but that was called Flight Pro Sim ...... are we sure it's different?

There is a WORLD of difference between Flightgear and the videos in that site I mentioned.
It's bordering on criminal if they really are repackaging Flightgear and marketing it like that!
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby BaronRouge » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:26 am

And yes they are criminals IMHO!
BaronRouge
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pilotwin7 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:43 am

personally I loose a lot of interest. Add me to it

This is a fully functioning Flight Simulator that puts other flight sims to (shame).

But, Shame?? of what :?: :?: :?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shame
Embarrassment and Humiliation???? :? :? :? :?
1. A painful emotion caused by a sense of guilt, embarrassment, dishonor; a feeling of being unworthy or disgraced.
2. Something that is very regrettable or is a great disappointment.

My Question is are you a shame? Playing FSX..... Or whatever Sim. Out there :roll:
pilotwin7
Major
Major

Postby ftldave » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:15 am

It's another example of the "we think you are too stupid to notice" trick used by lots of businesses these days. One of the most heinous aspects of modern corporate culture: it's okay to deceive customers (and too often employees, too!)

Like Flightgear.org pointed out: "As far as we have been able to make out, the only difference between FlightGear ... and Flight Pro Sim is a change in name throughout the software, and the fact that you have to pay for it."

It's not criminal. It's greed and lack of ethics, charging for something that is free and adding no value other than a slick marketing campaign.
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby pete » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:30 am

It's not criminal.

It is 'criminal' to post videos that look nothing like the real thing. It is in fact illegal to do that in most advanced countries.

The videos look photoreal. The reality of 'Flightgear' is that, although it's a great free sim - it's no way near photoreal. So if it is the same (& it sounds like it is) the videos are not genuine.

Also - because it's open source or free does not mean it's free to be sold. It depends on any conditions it comes with. (Though I'm not interested in such pedantics)
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Computer Games & Software