Is War Thunder worth trying to download?

PC Software. Anything to do with PC Games & software!

Is War Thunder worth trying to download?

Postby Modlerbob » Wed May 28, 2014 7:12 pm

While I was here earlier today I encountered an ad for a new online combat flight sim named "War Thunder". I bit and attempted to sign up and download the massively large files. It has locked up my computer twice now forcing a full reboot. It looks like there is a faster way to make the download but I suspect you have to pay before you play to get the speedy download. Has anybody tried it and is it worth it?
Modlerbob
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Is War Thunder worth trying to download?

Postby death44 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:39 pm

I Have War Thunder and it is a completely free to play game. The only thing that you really have to pay for is if you want more Golden Eagles. Which are what you use to convert research points that you accumulate in battle. It's just like the Free Experience that you accumulate in battle in World of tanks but you need gold to convert that.

And as far as I know the only way to download the game and updates is though the launch client.

I hope that this helped you out.
death44
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Thu May 29, 2014 2:57 am

Don't forget, if you really want to shoot, and bomb things.....

..there's always our Microsoft Combat Flight Sims (CFS 1,2,3) in the Forum down below!

Use Solo, AI, and on-line Multiplayer!

Runs fine on a low-end computer!

Paul....with CFS 2..... :D ...!

CFS 2...>>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... imulator+2
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Modlerbob » Thu May 29, 2014 6:25 pm

I've been trying for a day and a half now to download War Thunder and each time after about fifteen minutes it crashes my internet connection forcing me to reboot the computer. At this rate it will take my 6 months to complete the download. Heck yeah I'd rather fly in CFS 2 anyday but I was informed it is no longer run online. I still have the CFS 2 software.
Modlerbob
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby VE3PKY » Fri May 30, 2014 6:00 am

War Thunder's graphics can be spectacular (You can even see dust motes floating in the air at certain angles!), and it manages large battles well (They recently added tank battles, and will eventually add naval battles). Definitely worth a go if you like MMP games and are an aircraft fan. Don't know what to suggest regarding your download woes. Their technically support may be able to give you some suggestions. I've also got Wings of Prey, which is a standalone game with great graphics as well from the same group. It's available on DVD, so you wouldn't require as large download like Warthunder does, and it also supports online play.( http://www.airwargame.com/ ).
VE3PKY
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Modlerbob » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:17 am

It finally downloaded. It looks very much like "World of Warplanes" and doesn't function any better. The control inputs are way too sensitive using my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick and using the mouse was impossible. I've been flying online combat flight sims since the original AOL Air Warrior and in my opinion they were much better with the best being "Fighter Ace". I would never pay to use War Thunder so when the beta trial period is over I will be uninstalling it.

Someone would do better in my opinion to just update Fighter Ace with new graphics. I also have warbirds 2014 which I liked but there is very little traffic and you can go days without finding anyone to fight.
Modlerbob
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby razorlust » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:27 pm

seeing as I have yet to see an ad for that game I think you are far better off with ither the combat sims or speding 15 dollars a month to play aces high 2 far better.
razorlust
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Modlerbob » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:21 am

I have given both War Thunder and World of Warplanes a reasonable try and found them both to be lacking. While the graphics are excellent the flight model stinks. Either microsoft, Warbirds and Aces High got it wrong or the two new sims on the block don't know how to create a good flight model. The planes in WT and WoW are difficult to control and it is hard to set up an in the cockpit view. Making it where you only get an outdated plane to use unless you buy access to better planes is stinky too. I would much rather pay a monthly access fee like the old Air Warrior and Fighter Ace combat sims or Warbirds and Aces High today.

To me it is much more important to have a good flying platform than to have pretty scenery to look at as you go down in flames. It amazes me that anyone has mastered WT or WoW to the level that some have appeared to. They looked good in the magazine ads but I gave up and uninstalled both. My choices now are down to Aces High and Warbirds but I really wish someone would bring back Fighter Ace online.
Modlerbob
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Computer Games & Software