Bottom dwellers!

PC Software. Anything to do with PC Games & software!

Bottom dwellers!

Postby OldAirmail » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:44 pm

To get Prepar3d V2 to load properly I had to uninstall MS Security Essentials.
(BTW - Their site is overwhelmed and it WILL take a long time to connect after you click on a link.)

MS Security Essentials can't be turned off. That's to prevent a virus from turning off to infect your computer. You have to uninstall it, and that would be noticeable by even the stupidest people.

After Prepar3d V2 was re-installed and working as well as it can (I can't save any setting changes, but that's another story), I went to download & re-install MS Security Essentials.

So I type it into Google. But from there on I was as bad as my wife. I clicked on the first link!

After a click or two, I realized that this wasn't the standard MS procedure, so I canceled the install.

Too late!

In the few seconds that it was running it took over my browser, and installed several malware/viruses.

I've removed what I can, and now have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware doing a scan. It just completed.

Google used to have a reporting procedure, but I can no longer find it. I'm not sure that you can exclude or report paid advertisements anyway.

Bottom dwelling scum! :evil:

From malwareremovalguides about pup.optional.searchprotect.a.

""PUP.Optional.SearchProtect.A is a specific detection used by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to indicate and detect Potentially Unwanted Propgrams (PUP). When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detects PUP.Optional.SearchProtect.A you do not immediately have to worry, because it is not a virus or other malware. But only a unwanted program classified as PUP because it has a bad reputation or behavior. And in most cases the program is installed whitout your knowledge, therefore detects Malwarebytes Anti-Malware this application as PUP.Optional.SearchProtect.A ""

From deletemalware about pup.optional.conduit.a.

"PUP.Optional.Conduit.A which although not technically a virus is still something that will cause problems for both you and your computer."
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Re: Bottom dwellers!

Postby Steve M » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:56 pm

That sucks, can't trust anything nowdays. Quite a while back I was using the old MS Live One Stop Care. When that got corrupted it bitched my laptop into oblivion. I've been really happy with Vipre ever since, but I do have to pay annual fee for it though. My point is that I can turn Vipre off if I really wanted to, so I have some degree of control over it.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:14 pm

A LLOOONNNGGG time ago I had McAfee.

I was pretty happy with it until a virus was designed that turned it off while it put some more viruses on my computer. It then made it look like McAfee was still working.

I can't really say that I detected it. What happened is that I noticed that it was no longer updating. In fact when you tried to connect to McAfee to update, it couldn't connect to their website. Anywhere else, no problem. But not there.

And from there things went downhill. :lol:

I did try it out some months down the road, and McAfee had a built-in a password requirement to turn it off.

Over the years I think that I tried most of them. And every month it seems like the virus writers try to figure out a new way around them.

I'm not REALLY paranoid . :roll: :shock: :roll: But I do use several security programs to scan my hard disk.

Usually it's MS Security Essentials, because it can't be turned off, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Occasionally I go online for a "FREE!" virus scan.

But it's not like I'm REALLY paranoid . :roll: :shock: :roll: :lol:
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Steve M » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:27 pm

I know the paranoid feeling.. :geek: I still use Malware Bytes, CCCleaner and Glary Utilities on the side. As a side note, If I can remember just a few, I've had Norton, AVG, McCafee, MS securities and a few others. I have to say, Norton was the fattest pig of them all, being the most invasive and cumbersome antivirus I have ever had. That was ten years ago, so, maybe Norton has improved since then? :ugeek:
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Sprocket » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:26 am

Never ever click on the two (or more) top search results in Google! :hand:
I absolutely never do.... :lol:

Dodgy websites utilize nasty means to fool the Google search algorithm to appear at the top of the search list.
Want to know more? Amongst others, read up on "Black Hat SEO" and such.

Regards
Sprocket
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Computer Games & Software