My first thoughts of X-Plane...

PC Software. Anything to do with PC Games & software!

My first thoughts of X-Plane...

Postby musicflyer2 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:47 pm

So I got X-Plane 10 Global Edition for Christmas. I have been a staunch user of FSX for a while now. It's not that I have anything against X-Plane but I haven't ever had the opportunity to mess with it. I asked for it for Christmas and got it. I installed it one time and got an error message every time I tried to run it. I updated my drivers and everything. I did everything I could think of and still it didn't work. I finally uninstalled and re-installed (another 6 hours). Tried it again. Still got an error message but on a different folder. (anyone who knows X-Plane knows that on start up it shows the file names as they are loaded). The error message on both accounts was one of those "(Insert file name here).exe has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution..."

I followed the directions for installing and starting. So far nothing has worked. So my first thought's of X-Plane...so far they haven't been good. Oh well, I am sure I will get it fixed up. I am about to email Laminar Research for help. About to dive in with everything! <<t

Hope you guys are having more luck then me with any new simulators!

Merry Late Christmas and Happy New Year! (and Happy Boxing day to some of you!)

P.S.

Any X-Plane users here have any tips?

My system info is...

HP Pavilion dv7

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

1 Terabyte Hard Drive

Intel Core i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30 GHz

Nvidia GEforce GT 2GB

8.00 GB of Ram

...that's pretty much it...
musicflyer2
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: My first thoughts of X-Plane...

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:09 am

I have the full version of X-Plane 10 also. It installed without any problem about a year ago on a 64bit Win 7 Pro system.

Try using the free version of Revo Uninstaller to uninstall X-Plane.

If X-Plane is already uninstalled, install it again so that you can use Revo to uninstall it.

Revo Uninstaller will do an exceptional job of removing all the leftover bits on you computer.

The only problem that I found with Revo, was when I tried it with an FSX aircraft that was installed by an ??.exe program. Revo wanted to remove the files for other aircraft too.

This was probably caused by the aircraft installer.

Other than that I've never had any problem with it in more than 13 years of use.

Next, download and run the free version of CCleaner.

What you want to do is to run a registry "Scan for Issues", and select "Fix selected issues".

Image & Image

This will both find junk leftover from poorly executed uninstalls, and correct a good many Registry errors.

I've never had CCleaner cause a problem in more than 13 years of use.

At this point, you should be able to do a "clean install" of X-Plane.

It may not hurt to right click on the X-Plane installer program, and run it as an administrator. I may have done that, but I don't recall.

Every now and then I download an update for X-Plane 10 and test it out. Over the past year it's gotten better.

Those who like it, say that it's much better than FSX. I just think that it's another flight sim. Better in some ways, not so hot in other ways.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Re: My first thoughts of X-Plane...

Postby musicflyer2 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:48 am

Well I got it fixed. I ended up emailing the customer service people and sending them a copy of my 'Log.txt' file. The customer service guy then told me, much to my embarrassment for not realizing it sooner, that I was running version 10.00 and I needed to update to version 10.25. So I went and downloaded the update package from the website and ran it and after a few hours of updating (while I watched a movie on my brand new lap top ;) ) I ran it and it worked flawlessly. So...PROBLEM FIXED!

Now, my real first thoughts of X-Plane...It Is NOT!!!!! FSX! It is more complicated both to use and set up. But that isn't to say it isn't worth it. I can see how people would say it is more realistic. As an Aerospace student I am learning about the nitty gritty stuff and in some of our simulators at school we run X-Plane as a base software (the big professional kind). I must say, I thought I'd hate it, but I thought FSX was confusing when I first started it and now I can navigate that game in my sleep. I think I will really enjoy X-Plane.

I really don't think this Simulator is for your average gamer. I really think this particular simulator is for the hardcore Flight Simmers (like us here on Simviation). Some parts about setting up the keyboard commands and your joystick/yoke/whatever you got get real technical and quite honestly, unless I was pursuing a degree in Aerospace, I would have no idea what they were talking about. I have a feeling the average gamer isn't gonna want to sit down and learn all the nitty gritty aviation stuff.

So...I am not ready to say I will give this game an A+ rating yet...maybe a B. I think it is worth the money you spend if you are hard core and you know that is what you wanna do. I don't think it is on level with FSX...yet. Give it another 3-5 years and it will be on the same level if not higher than FSX.

So THOSE are my first thoughts! <<r
musicflyer2
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Computer Games & Software