AMD Catalyst control

PC Software. Anything to do with PC Games & software!

AMD Catalyst control

Postby RAMPRAT » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:03 pm

Just installed lasted version of AMD Catalyst Control Center and have problem now with FSX Gold/ Xcel. While flying I went to change my payload to see if it would help lower the nose up attitude and when I clicked on fuel and payload I got the MSFSX has experienced a critical error msg. and will shut down. Saw this in event viewer. Faulting application name FSX.exe. faulting mod. name atiumdag.dll c:\ windows\ system32\ atiumdag.dll What does this mean? Should I try reinstalling the new version of catalyst control 13.9?
RAMPRAT
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: AMD Catalyst control

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:14 am

I have CCC 13.4 and it works without any problems.

Thanks to you, I'll skip the next version.

In the past I've had problems reverting/reinstalling the previous versions. If you run into that, find a really old version, say 9.x. Install that, and use it's internal updater to restore your last version.

As the CCC is a "universal" package, I think that it is usually an update to the software for newer hardware. Aside from an occasional improvement to the CCC options, I have rarely seen where it's improved my video cards performance.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Bass » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:32 am

Yes!
Why update if things are working fine!?
If one can't resist, always keep a backup of the last working drivers...... and in the end, you might kiss your cd that came with the card :think:
"Just try to be YOU"!............ Kurt 

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby RAMPRAT » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:41 pm

Thanks to those who replied. Microsoft techs were able to fix. .NETframework was corrupted. They were able to repair this and install the newest AMD catalyst along with new drivers and chipsets, etc.
RAMPRAT
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Bass » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:26 am

Congrats RAMPRAT.
Not that often we see Microsoft supporters with such a big helping hand :clap:

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby RAMPRAT » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:56 pm

UPDATE TO FSX AMD CATALYST 13.9!!!!! It doesn't WORK!!!!!!. Right after MS Techs fixed my update problem and the .NETframework problem I went to fly FSX. Guess what--it crashed at start up with Flight Simulator has encountered a fatal error!!!!! It seems that AMD Catalyst 13.9 changes the way .NETframwork 4.5 works and kills FSX. At least my FSX anyway. Had to put 13.4 back on. Now everything works just fine again. Go figure..............Hope none of you go through this same thing. Will not allow 13.9 on my system ever!!!!!!!! Intel I-5 3570k OC to 3.9 ( being conservative ) gigabyte ga z77 hd3 mobo, 16gb ram, powercolor radeon hd7870 2gb gigabyte edition gpu, 800w certified psu. 3 cooling fans and liquid cooling for cpu.
RAMPRAT
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:10 pm

As much as I like the price and capabilities of my Eyefinity cards, the Catalyst Control software can, sometimes, be a problem.

I (almost) always do a Windows "System Backup" before I upgrade the CCC software.

A few years ago I had to install version 9.?? after un-installing the (then) latest version. From there, I was able to use the built-in update link to get back to my previous version. Nothing else worked.

Since then I've updated it 3 times without any problems. But because I have an older card, the updates do little if anything.

I'm quite happy with it as it is now. Both of the AMD Radeon HD series have preformed better than I would have expected video cards under $200 could possibly do.

I'll probably still use it in the next computer update that I do in a year or so.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Bass » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:58 am

I can remember a lot of problems, some years ago, when i ran AMD cards!

I always kept a very old AMD "catalyst", and manage to get it installed when i messed with ONLY graphic drivers! Of those, i had 3-4 drivers as backup. Back then, i learned that AMD's newer fancy catalyst "looks" was working like a Heaven Benchmark and eating/spoiled a lot of things!

Bass
Major
Major

Return to Computer Games & Software