Plan-G 2 & 3 dead

PC Software. Anything to do with PC Games & software!

Plan-G 2 & 3 dead

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:40 pm

After reinstalling FSX and FTX Global, I find that both versions of Plan-G crash on startup.

I've worked through such things as IPv6 verses IPv4, .net 4.0, install as admin, etc. I even unchecked the FTX Global selections. Nothing works.

After doing this most of the night, I give up.

Is there anything close to Plan-G v2? If there is, I'm willing to buy it.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Re: Plan-G 2 & 3 dead

Postby CrashII » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:22 am

CrashII
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:01 am

CrashII wrote:http://www.fstramp.com/

Like Crash said... ;) ...!

"FS Tramp" for FSX is the equivalent to "FS Navigator" is/was for FS 2002 and FS 2004.

I use Plan-G v2.0.5 and FS Navigator for my FS 2004...

..and Plan-G v2.0.5 + FS Tramp for my FSX!

The best of all Worlds!

Paul...FS 2004+FSX...and lots of satellite maps!... :mrgreen: ...!

Note Plan-G v2.0.5 also gives you the Google Satellite Maps...(but its a closely guarded secret!)... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:55 am

I'll give it a try after walking the dogs. (Although, in truth, they just lead me wherever they want to go on the weekedns. :D )

What I liked the most about Plan-G was the Google terrain maps.

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:13 pm

I've tried FSTramp, and it's not bad. But it leaves me uninspired.

If I could get nothing other than the main screen of Plan-G working, I would use both.

Strangely enough, that's exactly what happened. ONE time only. :cry:

I took a look at FlightSim Commander, but that doesn't look like what I want either.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:17 pm

OldAirmail wrote:I've tried FSTramp, and it's not bad. But it leaves me uninspired.

If I could get nothing other than the main screen of Plan-G working, I would use both.

Strangely enough, that's exactly what happened. ONE time only. :cry:

I took a look at FlightSim Commander, but that doesn't look like what I want either.

For anyone used to using FS Navigator for FS 2004 (me) and Multiplayer, will instantly recognise the advantages for FSX...

All the airfields and their layouts including the locations of the fuel pumps, radio beacons (VOR and NDB) and all their frequencies, ILS glide paths and their frequencies,....and the terrain Map in relief, with your aeroplane's progress shown in real time on the map....!

Zoom in and out.

Toggled on/off (like FS Navigator) with a F9 key press!

Designed by the same Chap who programmed FS Navigator all those years ago!

Its a miracle for FSX'ers... :dance: ...!

Paul....Radio Buff!... :mrgreen: ...!

I find it indispensable for my daily radio navigation... :clap: ...!

http://www.fstramp.com/ ....and its FREE!.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby CrashII » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:35 pm

Paul, there are two big differences between FSNavigator and FSTramp. FSNavigator can be used in full screen mode in FS9 while FSTramp can only be used in windowed mode in FSX. Second FSNavigator is a flightplanner plus moving map, FSTramp is only a map, no flightplanner. Yet. Now it's unfair to compare both since you can't change the one for the other. FSNav only works in FS9 and older, FSTramp only in FSX.

To get back to the original problem though. Why won't Plan-G no longer work? As I see it, Plan-G is a separate program from FSX. IS FSUIPC installed correctly? Did you update the Plan-G database before using it? Can you start Plan-G without starting FSX first?
CrashII
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:48 pm

Oh well... :roll: ...!

Never mind.... I was hoping to find another FS Tramp enthusiast for FSX... :( ...!

Paul.... :think: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:02 pm

CrashII wrote:....

To get back to the original problem though. Why won't Plan-G no longer work? As I see it, Plan-G is a separate program from FSX. IS FSUIPC installed correctly? Did you update the Plan-G database before using it? Can you start Plan-G without starting FSX first?

All references to Plan-G are referring to the 2.0.5 version, although the newest version doesn't work either.

Lets start with the easiest. FSUIPC v 4.91.

It was re-installed earlier this month after the re-install of FSX. I use it to execute multiple commands with some of my Saitek equipment, and TrackIR. It also works some of my GPS panel buttons. No problems.

.net framework 4.0 is working fine, no problems with other software that requires it.

Plan-G v 2.0.5 loads up to the point where you have to build the database.
Clicking on the map type selectors - Map, Satellite, Hybrid, Terrain, Earth all change the map view. You can left click and drag the map around. But nothing happens when clicking on anything else. (Other than the up and down chevrons, which do little as there's no data.)

Clicking on the FSX Build Database goes well right up to the end.

After Plan-G has built the FSX database it pauses for a few moments and shows this popup;

Repeated attempts to run Plan-G get the "PlanG has stopped working" error immediately after opening the main screen.

At one point I received this error;

There is no problem with my internet. Works just fine.

Plan-G was working before I started on the FSX re-install. But because this program predates the implementation of IPv6, I disabled IPv6, hopping that it would work with IPv4.

That didn't go very well. The IP v4 seems to be relegated to use by my virtual machines.

Speaking of virtual machines. I installed "FSX Trial" on Microsofts Virtual Windows XP.

(for those who have the right kind of processor AND Windows 7 Pro (probably Win 8 Pro by now too) You can download Virtual Windows XP from Microsoft here)

Although Plan-G v2 is no longer available for download I tend to burn important stuff to a CD. So after installing the FSX demo in Virtual XP, I installed Plan-G on the virtual computer too.

Plan-G loaded and worked exactly as it should when it was run in Virtual Windows XP. No problems.

Just for giggles, I started up in "Safe Mode with network".

It loaded ad crashed just as it would in standard mode.

I would absolutely love it if someone could suggest something that I haven't tried. So don't be shy. recommend away.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:09 pm

Fozzer wrote:Oh well... :roll: ...!

Never mind.... I was hoping to find another FS Tramp enthusiast for FSX... :( ...!

Paul.... :think: ...!

Paul, I do like FSTramp. It does many things right.

But can you tell me how to go from this;

to this in FSTramp?

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:09 am

re: the image comparison....

Horses for courses for me!.... :D ...!

(a) Plan-G v2.0.5 for the fantastic Google Satellite Maps as I fly around...(mostly at low level).

(b) FS Tramp for all the on-screen airfield information (including the vital fuel locations), and airfield/radio beacon details to enter into my radio stack.

Regarding Flight planning: For speed and simplicity, for my short journeys, I use the FS2004/FSX Flight Sim VFR/IFR flight plan...A to B, it seems to do the job for me... :D ...!

As I love radio navigation, FS Tramp for FSX fits the bill nicely for me.

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!

P.S. I run FSX in windowed mode, which suits FS Tramp, Plan-G, (and Multiplayer), and also enables me to gain access to various other Flight Sim programs, aids, etc, sitting in my Task Bar, ready to click on as I fly!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby CrashII » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:35 am

Don't get me wrong Paul, I do like FSTramp. It's just that I miss the flightplanner in it. It'll come, just like being able to run it in full screen mode.

And about Plan-G? Beats me. If you say it runs under virtual XP but not under W7 even in safe mode, it must be something in W7.
CrashII
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:38 am

More playing around - make a change, reinstall. Crash. Use Revo Uninstaller to delete.

Make a change, reinstall. Crash. Use Revo Uninstaller to delete.

Hopeless! :? :cry:

And then I caught sight of a reference to Plan-G 0.9.

What do I have to loose. :cry:

As the Plan-G creator has to prevent Google from suing his pants off, he's worked hard to remove the older versions of the software that had the Google maps in it, ie. v0.9 & V2.0.5.

So finding it will be hard to do. In fact, I was just looking for it on Google and can't find the site that I used for the download. :?

Plan-G v0.9.1.423 TO THE RESCUE!

This is somewhat like the old DOS programs in that you can simply put it anywhere you want, on any hard drive, and it'll work.

It is a bit slow starting up, but after a while it works pretty much ok. But the fact that it works at all is the important part.

I'm, now, a little closer to having my FSX setup back to the way that I want it.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:52 am

Like one or two old, obsolete, hidden, and/or difficult to find locations for some of my favourite programs, I have their "Download Location" saved in Notepad form, on my Hard drive...
..ready to re-install them again!

Very useful for fading memories!... :lol: ...!

Paul... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:29 am

Plan-G 0.9 is already burned to disk.

After I spend more time with Plan-G 0.9 I may buy FSTramp anyway.

FSTramp is a lot faster than Plan-G 0.9. It also has many advantages over PG 0.9. But I love that Google topographical terrain map for when I fly below the rim in canyons. :D
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Next

Return to Computer Games & Software