The poor mans sim pit - SOFTWARE

PC Software. Anything to do with PC Games & software!

Re: The poor mans sim pit - SOFTWARE

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:23 pm

How to find out about your computer.

Your flight sim and Computer keep crashing!

You need to find out what's in you computer!

Someone is trying to help you, and they want to know how much memory you have.

Here's how to do it.

First you put on an antistatic suit in a dust free room.

Next, label all of the wires going into your computer so you know where they belong for when you need to put it back togather.

It really doesn't hurt to take pictures too.

Now, place your unplugged computer on a large STERILE antistatic cloth.

Before taking the cover off your computer, make sure that you have a supply of sterile towels to stop the blood after you cut yourself on the razor sharp parts inside the computer case.

Pull out all of your memory, and put it into a stainless steel tray that has a heavy copper grounding strap welded to it.

Now you can stat counting all the little bites of ram. :lol:

WHAT!

You want an easier way? :evil:

Well. OK. We could try some other ways. :think:

Piriform is a great first stop on your way to becoming a Geek.

And that first stop will be Speccy.

This is a super simple, BUT VERRY GOOD, way to get the info that you need.

The next step upward to Geekdom is over at cpuid.com.

Here you'll have THREE (3) ways to find out what's what.

CPU-Z.

This is a fast one with most of the stuff that you need.

Image . Image

PC Wizard 2013 is next up at cpuid.com.

This is going to be the slowest of all. But it will dig deep into the system for a lot more info. Too much for many. Not enough for a few.

The last must have from cpuid.com is HWMonitor.

Essentially, this will take its temp & vital signs.

This isn't everything that you'll find out there, but their ALL good in their own way. AND best of all, they're FREE. :D

End note - I know, I know. My computer isn't as fast as it could be. BUT, two things.
1 - It's the best that I could afford at the time.
2 - I could overclock it to get more speed. But it runs FSX more than good enough as is, and by not overclocking it I think that it'll last longer.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:52 pm

FREE UPDRADE TO ORBX AUSTRAILIA SP4

Some might have missed this, but Orbx has been selling Australia in 4 regions; Red, Green, Gold, and Blue.

Considering how much they wanted for each region, I'm betting that they weren't selling all four to many people.

Then they came out with all four regions in one package that they called Orbx - FTX: Australia SP4.

Why the SP4 at the end? Don't know. At a guess I would think that it meant Service Pack 4. Wrong.

It's ALL FOUR regions. for only $50, or so.

Had you bought it back before Christmas it was on sale for $24.

NOW THAT WAS A SALE!

BUT,
If you have bought ANY of the four regions in the past, you can now download the whole package FREE. :D

From Orbx - ORBX AUSTRAILIA SP4;

"We also have a surprise for those that purchased only the single AU regions. We are giving you a free upgrade to this full region installer!"

BTW - this also works for Prepar3d. NO EXTRA CHARGE.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:41 am

Fun with XML!

I know. Everyone's jumping up and down in excitement. Sure.

What I'll be showing you is how to start several programs ALONG WITH FSX or Prepar3d (any version).

Don't get all shaky. In practice, you'll be working with something as simple as this;

There are only four fields;
Calc
False
False, and
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Calculator Plus\CalcPlus.exe

First off - I know next to nothing about programing in XML.

What I am going to show you is as simple as I am.

And best of all, it works.

So why would you want to start one or more programs with FSX/Prepar3d?

Because you may always run them one after another, and that can be a pain in the butt.

What do I "Always run"?

1) FSX (or Prepar3d V2)
2) SPAD - A program that operates the Saitek hardware far better than the Saitek software does, and lets you do more too.
3) Plan-G - Basically a moving map, airport info center, and ....
4) TrackIR - A device & software that lets you look around the cockpit just by turning your head.
5) Whatever you want

As far as I can tell you can keep on adding things until you go loony.

Side note ============================================================================================

I used to watch all these TrackIR demos before I bought mine. I also used to think that the videos were GREAT!

Not any more.

Compared to the reality of being able to simply turn your head just a little and see out the side windows, or to tilt your head down, and off to the side, to look at the landing strip as make your turn into a landing...

Well, it's a whole new sim every time I fly.

Check this out, or read LOOK NOW!

End of note ============================================================================================

Both FSX & Prepar3d have a file called exe.xml.

They'll be in C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft

and C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin respectively.

Before you even look at them, make backup copies and put them in a safe place or two.

To open them, just right click and choose Edit.

Short side note - especially at the beginning they are almost identical. And because I couldn't get my Saitek Flight Instrument Panel to work I copied the FSX content into the Prepar3d exe.xml and everything worked.

This is my Prepar3d V2 exe.xml file at the moment.

The "Calc" was put there just for fun, and to show that any program can be added in.

I had best explain what some of that means. No remember I have no concept of XML programing, so if I use the wrong words feel free to correct me.

This is the "calc" portion that I color coded. It isn't color coded in real life.

And remember: There are only four fields;
1) Calc
2) False
3 )False, and
4) C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Calculator Plus\CalcPlus.exe

<Launch.Addon> & </Launch.Addon> simply say "This is where it begins" & "This is where it ends".

I told you it was easy. :D

<Name> & </Name> Says "The name of this whole section is called Calc." It starts after <Name>, and ends here - </Name>.

By now you've caught on that "/" means STOP what ever you were doing...

The name that I used can be anything that makes sense to you. Instead of "Calc", I could have called it "Snowball".

I'm not sure just what "<Disabled>False</Disabled>" means so I'll skip that.

Now here's the important part. You need to tell where AND what program to run.

I'll right click on a shortcut and choose properties. right click on the highlighted location & choose "copy".

You'll paste that PLUS the actual name name (CalcPlus.exe in this case) between <Path> & </Path>.

Like this - <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Calculator Plus\CalcPlus.exe</Path>

All you have to do now is to tell it that you're done by adding - </Launch.Addon>
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:30 am

I feel like the info above still looks more complicated than it is, so I try to strip it down even more

Looking back at this example there really are only two things that you want to fill in (the light blue areas).

The first thing to fill in is the name. In that example, I called it Calc, because that is what will be started along with the flight sim.

The next blue area is where I state the file location, or "the "path" to the program that I want to run;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Calculator Plus\

Added to that will be the name of the program - CalcPlus.exe.

So all together, the path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Calculator Plus\CalcPlus.exe.

One of the things that I want to auto-start is Opus weather, so we'll start with this and fill in the blanks.

The first blank will be filled in with the word Opus. Remember. That's just a word to describe what this section is all about.

The next blue space tells where Opus is located.

In this case it's located in E:\OpusFSX\

And the name of the Opus program is called FSXSERVER.EXE

In short, Opus weather will now start when you double click on the flight sim icon.

<Launch.Addon>
. . . . . . <Name>Opus</Name>
. . . . . . <Disabled>False</Disabled>
. . . . . . <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
. . . . . . <Path>E:\OpusFSX\FSXSERVER.EXE</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

The best bit of advice that I can give, is to add one section at a time, save it, and restart the flight sim.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Hestntonpms » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

I have REX 4 Texture direct and I love the program, I had issues with the Previous REX however .
Lol at one time I think it even deleted it's self :)
I was like GREAT !!
Saved me from having to do it , I could not find a single trace of the software anywhere . . .
I thought I imagined having something I played with for a solid year :)
Gigabyte X79 Chip set Mobo
Intel-i7 4820K CPU/Liquid cooled
Single GTX Titan 6gig GPU/ extreme air cooled
16 gig/1600 MHz quad channel DDR3
1 T/B -Raid-0 array,Risking it all for every ounce of performance until I go with SSD's
Hestntonpms
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:10 pm

When is a simple piece of software TOO GOOD?

Learning navigation is both simple AND complex.

Once you learn each part and try it out a few times, THAT bit becomes easy to understand. Simple in other words.

There are a lot of "bits" to learn though. But unless you have an eidetic memory it can seem a little complex.

Rather than an eidetic memory, I have an idiotic memory. I tend to learn some inconsequential material very well.

Over time I've put together enough "bits" to understand what info I need, and where to get it. If I were a real pilot, that and much more, would be absolutely essential.

So what (free) software is so simple that people might skip learning what they need to know the "hard" way - Quick ILS

Basically it looks up the ILS frequencies (if any) of the runways. If there are ILS frequencies it can put that into your navigation radio to help guide you to your runway on those dark and stormy nights. :D

There is some setup that you have to do first and it's not that hard. But once done, all you have to do is enter the ICAO of the airport.

Pictures make it simpler

This is what you get after hitting Enter.

Multiple ILS runway info looks like this.

Double click on the runway in the list will set the selected ILS into the Nav1 or Nav2 radio.

This isn't a giant, fantastic, program. It just does a very simple task.

Use it. One day you may want to lean more about navigation.

It REALLY is fun to follow a signal to your airport, and see your runway in front of you as you sink below the clouds.

At the very least it'll keep you from having to use the mouse to set the ILS frequency into the onscreen radio panel.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:15 pm

I've been using OpusFSX for a while now.

Opus does an exceptional job of providing real weather FAR FASTER than REX Essential Plus Overdrive (something that I regret buying now).

This is FSX with REX

With a bit of massaging you can get much better clouds, but I don't really want to play around making realistic looking skies & clouds.

Opus doesn't provide the clouds, but uses whatever you have in your sim.

After being disappointed with the speed of Rex I used the cloud texture from Rex along with OpusFSX. That was better, but I was still a little less than happy with the clouds.

Later I switched to Prepar3d. There were a lot of headaches before Lockheed Martin got most of the problems fixed.

And then LM made improvements in how the clouds looked. MORE HEADACHES!

After getting that straightened out, the clouds looked very good.

Along comes OpusFSI.

There's a whole lot of good things that I can say about OpusFSX, and OpusFSI has all of that, plus more.

As far as "clouds" go, they took the clouds and improved them in a way that, so far, no one else has - Multi-Layered Clouds.
Multi-Layered Clouds are now enhanced within the Live Weather Engine. The LWE references additional cloud, surface, and atmospheric data to determine its low level (up to 6000 feet AGL) and Mid level (6000 to 26000 feet AGL) cloud coverage which is blended with the 'actual' METAR data. The high level cloud data is also used to control (enable or disable) localised cirrus cloud

One of the things that multi-layered clouds do is to give a more realistic feeling of depth.

When you look down on the clouds below you, you see the higher layers passing the lower (more distant) layer of clouds much more quickly. Just as looking out the windows of a car - The trees near the car appear to move faster than the distant scenery.

Flying at 30,000 feet looks TOTALLY different.

This isn't the best example of how good it can look, but it does show indevidual "layers".

And NOW, for your viewing pleasure,

I present - - - Weather Worth Looking At.

Leaving Charlotte, North Carolina

(Dual screen shots)
In a Pan Am Tristar

As United would have said Fly the friendly (clouded) skies.
Last edited by OldAirmail on Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:32 pm

Back to the clouds!

Gone are those little puff balls of clouds when you're in heavy weather.

Welcome to the new sky.

This is an example of how poorly a "picture" can convey the reality.

This is what I was trying to describe before. From within the simulator, these clouds are layered and you can see one layer passing over another.

So when you look down you actually do get a feeling of a 3 dimensional space below you.

But all you see when looking at this picture is just a gray cloud mass.

INTERESTING

Roll clouds

I have seen something like this once. But I was surprised to see it in a flight sim.

Just a coincidence? Maybe.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:40 pm

Do you have FSX AND Prepar3d?

Ain't it nice?

And what is even better is that a great deal of the add-on scenery will work for both programs.

So what is the obvious problem - Duplicating the aircraft & scenery within each program can take up a HUGE amount of space.

But if you have two or more drives there is a very simple solution.

(Short version - Let FSX & Prepar3d share the same scenery files on a second drive.)

SSDs are getting, relatively, cheap.

In my situation I have a SSD for my OS. And, unfortunately, any program that absolutely insists on being on the primary drive.

I have a fast standard drive for just about everything else.

I also have a SSD for my flight sims.

What I do will work well even with two drives.

Put FSX & Prepar3d on the second drive. Or, in my case, the third drive.

Put only the scenery that you use often within FSX or Prepare3d on the drive with FSX/P3d.

Put EVERYTHING ELSE on the larger drive.

And because Widows can read two drives AT THE SAME TIME (when on separate controllers) you only loose a little bit of speed.

For instance, I have an absolutely huge amount of Blue Sky Scenery on my E: drive.

When I install some scenery in FSX, I direct it to look for scenery files on that drive too.

BUT PREPAR3D CAN USE THAT SAME FOLDER FOR SCENERY TOO!

Put another way, you have two programs going to the same folder to read the scenery information.

How much does this scheme save me? My Blue Sky Scenery folder is almost 40GB.

If I had that scenery in both FSX and Prepar3d you'd be talking almost 80GB JUST FOR THE BLUE SKY SCENERY ALONE! :o

BTW - Taking advantage of Windows ability to read/write two drives at the same time, I've moved the Windows page file (pagefile.sys) to the secondary drive.

PS - Now that I think of it, this will also work on a single drive. You just don't gain the speed advantage of two drives on separate controllers.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:09 am

(Read the above post to understand why you would want to do this)

More Junction Link Magic to the rescue.

I've taken my own advice a step farther, and moved all of my add-on scenery FROM BOTH FSX & PREPAR3D to a single folder on my E" drive.

The only exception is the Orbx scenery, because it's used every time I fly.

That scenery is on the SSD with FSX/Prepar3d.

The whole process is invisible to both programs due to Junction Link Magic.

In short, Junction Link Magic works this way;

1) Create a single folder. Give it ANY name that makes sense to you.
2) Move all of the files out of FSX/Prepar3d > Addon Scenery to that central folder that you created. The Addon Scenery folder MUST now be empty.
3) Use Junction Link Magic to create a link from the old (and now empty) Addon Scenery folder TO the folder that you moved the files to.

This will save you space even on a single drive system if you have both FSX & P3d.

Now when your flight sim looks in the Addon Scenery, within it's own folder system, it'll automatically be redirected to the new folder that you created.

Also, when you go to add the scenery to your slight sim, it's transparent to you too.

One more thing - YOU WILL NOT have to uninstall or re-install any scenery that you have been using! :D

Although this really is very simple, you should try this out with an unimportant program first, just to familiarize yourself with the process.

I've been using Junction Link Magic for about a year, or so, with absolutely NO problems.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:52 pm

Just a short note.

Excluding the Orbx folders, all by other scenery for BOTH FSX & Prepar3d is now stored in one folder on the standard hard drive (E:).

For the most part the sceneries are usable by both programs. There's no copyright violations because what scenery I've bought (very little) is clear to use in either program.

REX Essential Plus Overdrive will work in either program too because I paid for the P3d license (it really is quite cheap).

The Orbx scenery stays on the SSD because it covers the whole world, and I want that updated quickly as I fly over the various areas.

Not that it really slows things down, though. The hard drive is quite fast and has a large cache.

I could do this with the aircraft too, but those folders are relatively small.

One set of scenery folders for two programs. Can't beat that. :D
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:26 pm

"One set of scenery folders for two programs. Can't beat that." :D

Sometime back I uninstalled FSX. :o

And with the rare exception of wanting to compare something or another I haven't missed it.

So having moved 131GB of scenery from my 256GB SSD to a Magic Junction folder on my larger E: drive, I had to see if that statement really was true.

And after having now re-installed FSX I can safely state that it is true - BOTH flight sims can, AND DO, use the same folder.

I was wrong, however, about there being only a slight delay in reading the scenery info from the standard hard drive.

It seems that when Prepar3d, or FSX for that matter, is ready to read the scenery data, that is all that it's going to do.

No concurrent processing in other words. No multitasking.

So now I remember what it was like before I moved P3d to an SSD. :(

BTW - the overall process is still faster than it would be if everything were on a standard hard drive.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:58 pm

One more BTW - Once the starting scenery is loaded, there's no noticeable slowdown when flying out of that area and into the next area.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:27 pm

I just had a PM from a new FSX user asking about an aircraft that I used in a posting, and about my weather engine choice.

There are more than a few new users here since I made that posting about the weather, so I thought that I'd repost my response.

Hopefully you'll find my brief assessment fair.
============================================================================

This plane?

That's the Beechcraft Barron 58. It's a default plane in FSX.

The Aussies seem to have a fixation on busses. I think that it's caused by them being on the opposite side of the world.

Hanging upside down all the time must cause mental problems. :D

But they DO have some very good scenery & some pretty nice aircraft.

WEATHER

I bought REX Essential PLUS with OverDrive, but regret it.

REX 4 Weather Direct is a different program, and as far as I can tell, it's a better program than REX Essential PLUS with OverDrive.

The program that I use is OpusFSI.

For me, it has MUCH stronger advantages, compared to the other FSX weather programs out there.

Aside from some pretty accurate weather, it has some other features that the others don't, such as exceptional support for external cameras and the effect of head movement that is naturally found in a moving objects such as aircraft.

Then too, OpusFSI can control the ButtKicker.

Although the ButtKicker is great if you like music or watching action movies, it CAN add even more realism to a flight sim.

To get the extra features that are in OpusFSI I would have to pay over $125.

On the other hand, others prefer REX4 or Active Sky Next.

Either one has strong supporters, although Active Sky Next may be the better of the two.

BTW - Active Sky Next lets you download and try it out.

For what it's worth, I did download it, but uninstalled it (it's not bad, it just doesn't do all that I need).

I'm not sure if that helped but at least you have three good recommendations, any of which will make a tremendous improvement on FSX.

Good luck.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:01 am

It's been a while since I was last here, But I received a request concerning the ButtKicker and OpusFSX/FSI.

The questioner wanted to use the ButtKicker function of Opus, but didn't want to give up the weather engine that he's used to using for a long time.

To disable any feature of the Opus software, run it and select the Configure button.

Then just uncheck any feature that you do or do not want to use.

This can also be done "in Game" as needed.

.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Computer Games & Software