The poor mans sim pit - SOFTWARE

PC Software. Anything to do with PC Games & software!

Re: The poor mans sim pit - SOFTWARE

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:34 pm

Landing is easy.

When I first started landing I used the "Porpoise Aircraft Landing System". (BTW, this was discovered and perfected by me, so the name is copyrighted and can't be used without royalty payments to me.)

The object is to see how many bounces you can do before you run out of landing strip.

But as I became a more sophisticated and skilled pilot, I developed the "Dead Man Landing System" (Yeah. I have that one copyrighted too.)

The Saitek Switch Panel is sadly not fully programed. For this to work you have to program the fuel pump to shut down when you flip the Fuel Pump switch to the off position. Alternately, you can program the aircraft magneto switch to ground out when you turn it to the OFF possition.

These two landing systems give me a great deal of enjoyment when I show how the engine dies as someone else is flying. :D
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:53 pm

(If all of this is familiar to you just skip down to the part about HD_Speed)

I think that in practice, Windows users are smarter than Apple users.

We have to be just to be able to use our preferred OS day to day. :lol:

If we want to keep on flying, we have to keep out systems tuned up and working.

While trying to make FTX Global work, once again, with FSX I tried to restart (once again) my computer (Win 7 Pro 64bit) in its basic mode.

The restart didn't happen. :evil:

Not even a POST (Power On Self Test) code. Basically the beep, or beeps, that you hear when turning on your computer.

The monitors received some kind of a signal but didn't display the Signal Source search routine.

I checked the power supply with eForCity 20 / 24-pin Power Supply Tester $6.10.

Simple, cheap, and effective. But not the problem.

Next I checked the motherboard for loose wires or scorch marks from something burning out. Nada.

Voltage is good. Motherboard looks good. And because there were no POST code beeps I know that it isn't the hard disks (Otherwise I would have had a series of beeps signaling no hard drive).

Remember elsewhere I mentioned that I have more the a few USB cables plugged in? I pulled all of them out and plugged in a PS2 keyboard and an old MS mouse. Normally, I use wireless mouse and keyboard.

IT LIVES!!!! :dance:

So when it starts up, I run a number of checks.

One simple one is HWMonitor from cupid. Simple, FREE, and effective.

No problems. Even if you don't know what your voltages should be, it's not that hard to spot a dead fan or overly hot temperatures with this free program.

For a while I've been taking a break. Soon I'll have to start plugging in all those USB cables.

But while I had one of my old drives in to make a backup (I'd have to be a complete fool not to) I thought about checking the drive speeds on all three of them.

Being on the simple side I downloaded HD_Speed from SteelBytes. ANOTHER simple, FREE, and effective deal.

Below are some screen shots of that software.

If you're using Win 7 (and probably Windows 8 ) you need to right click on the HD_Speed icon and choose "Run as administrator". If you not you'll see this -

Then you'll have to click this to show your drives -

ALL DRIVES ARE ON A SATA III CABLE & PORT.

Drive C: Samsung SSD

Drive E: Western Digital SATA III, 64meg of cache

Drive F: Western Digital SATA III, 16meg of cache My clone of C:.

And just for fun, a 4BG SD card.

Using programs like Windows Perfmon can get you into the nitty gritty of your hard drive, but more often than not we just want a quick check of how our system is doing.

And HD_Speed will work well enough for that.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby logjam » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:38 pm

First of all Jetranger, milk does mix with whisky very well if you warm it up 1st. I guess the real whiskey is FS9 and adding milk gets you FSX. Forget to warm it uyp and you have curdled milk, but warm it up properly and you can go to sleep like a baby. Problem is knowing the way to do it. Thanks to everyone here, there's a solution.
logjam
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:13 am

Reinstalling Plan-G v2 & v3 problems - Resolved.

Plan-G is a great program. It tool a lot of time and effort to find a solution.

If you have problems getting it to install and/or run, click on the link above.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:18 pm

For this episode we're going to
JUGGLE KNIVES

(This will be quite long, but the actual process is short and simple.)

Yeah, that's right. We're going to do something dangerous. We're going to play with Junction Link Magic.

Junction Link what???

First, let me show you why you may need it.

You bought your first SSD for A LOT of money. It was 250GB, and man was it FASTTTTT. You installed the OS on it, and planned on installing EVERYTHING else on your old drive which is now drive E:.

And from now on you plan to use drive C: ONLY for the OS. Period. End of story.

BUT

Time goes by and you find that some stuff will not install on anything else but drive C. It doesn't even give you a chance. BOOM. Right to the C drive.

Time goes by and you find that C is getting full. But there was nothing that you could have done differently.

Now you start looking at the price of SSDs, and they've gotten much cheaper. Boy have they gotten cheaper. But not all that cheap, especially for the larger ones over 250GB. So all you need now is the money. :shock:

I was doing fine until Jetranger mentioned that there was a sale on a Lockheed L-1011 TriStar for only $8. (Don't get excited. It's back to $44.99 now.)

Come on. A great airliner for only $8. Who could resist.

What I didn't consider was the size of all those files.

Yes. That is seven and a half gig. And it pushed me over, or perhaps I should say under, my limit. I always try to keep the free space on my SSD to 100GB or more. Now, I have to do something.

STOP THE PRESSES!

There is a cheaper way. Free in fact.

Junction Link Magic.

What it does, in a nutshell, is to let you move folders (and the sub-folders in them) to another drive. When Windows or another program goes to the original folder on the C drive, it gets transparently redirected to the data on the other drive.

When you install a program that wants to put data in that folder (on the C drive), WINDOWS PUTS THE DATA IN THE FOLDER ON THE OTHER DRIVE. AND THE INSTALLER DOESN'T KNOW THE DIFFERANCE!

Another way to think of it, is this way. You know that little arrow on am icon that indicates that it's just a link to a file or program?

Your ORIGINAL folder will behave, somewhat, like that.

A click on a desktop shortcut is redirected to the file or program.

After using Junction Link Magic the original folder will redirect requests to open, save, or run programs to the folder on the other drive.

Drag and drop something on to the original folder (now acting like a link), and it gets deposited in the folder on the other drive. The link folder will always be empty.

I've tried to make it as simple as possible. But I think that I've over-explained enough.

BEFORE I START - GO TO THEIR WEBSITE AND READ THE WARNINGS

I may have missed something but it all seems logical and simple.

There are several steps. And mine are a little different than the way they explain it. This has worked for me, but if in doubt, follow their instructions.

HOW TO DO IT
(What follows is a guide, and will probably not be EXACTLY what you see.)

First create a target folder on your other drive. Drive E: in my case.

Make a folder for what you want to move the data/files to. Because you should not rename it or delete it later, put a tag in the folder name so you can recognize that it's a special folder. In my case I name the folder for the one on the C drive and add "FROM C DRIVE".

So the plane folder ON DRIVE E: is called Sim Objects FROM C DRIVE.

And the new scenery folder ON DRIVE E: is called Scenery FROM C DRIVE.

The last thing that you want to do is to delete, or rename, either the original folder from drive C:", or the target folder at a later date.

In this shot I'm going to move the data that's in C:\ATEST to E:\_atest. They suggest that you copy and paste the original folder to the other drive. Fine, just rename it so that there is no confusion about the folder on the second drive being a copy of the one on the C drive.

Move, or cut and paste the data into the new folder if it isn't there already. THE ORIGINAL FILDER MUST BE EMPTY!

Next, click on the old folder (C:\ATEST in this case), and click on the new folder on the other drive (E:\_atest).

When you click on the [Create] button you'll get this popup where you can select the original folder (or Junction link as they call it), and the destination folder.

You can go ahead and expand it so that you can find your folders with more ease.

To select your folders you'll need to click on the + next to "Computer" so that you can search for, and select, the source and destination drives/folders.

This time when you select the [Create] button in the bottom left corner you'll get this popup.

Click Yes to proceed.

If you stay away from the operating system folders there should be no problems. And even then you may not run into problems because Windows Vista, 7, & 8 use this too. But why push it, leave them alone.

The best thing to do is what I did. Create a folder on the C drive and copy something into it. Then create a folder on another drive. Move the data to the new folder leaving NOTHING in the original folder. It must now be empty.

Use Junction Link Magic to link the two.

Test it by dropping something into the original folder (which will now have a curved arrow on its icon). The file that you just dropped should go to the linked folder on the other drive.

Once you are comfortable doing this you can move on to important files.

THIS WHOLE PROCESS CAN BE REVERSED IF YOU NEED TO. Just practice on test folders.

As I said in the beginning, I've moved about 24GB from FSX (the scenery & airplane folders) onto drive E and everything works perfectly.

If you have a smaller SSD this should be of great help. If you want to buy a 256GB SSD but think that it may be to small in the future, you can get them for as little as $160 now and move some files on to a cheaper hard drive.

At the moment my 256GB SSD has 112 gigs free, with no problems at all. That's the way I like it.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:24 am

Although this is hardware, it fits perfectly with the above posting.

You want to talk about tweaking this or tweaking that?

THIS will truly make a tremendous difference!

Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - $139!

Yes, it is "refurbished". But all that means is that some idiot probably ordered it and couldn't figure out how to use it. If you get it and it truly is bad, Newegg will refund your money.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:18 am

My rebuild of FSX to what it had been is (almost) complete.

Thanks to Junction Link Magic, my 256GB SSD is down to only 116GB of used space!

I've used it to move more than the FSX files, of course. But the Scenery & Sim Objects folders, 24GB, are now sitting on my E drive.

So far as I can tell there is no noticeable delay in loading airplanes or scenery. I am sure that there is a delay, but I would probably need some kind of software to detect it.

One thing to understand is that Windows can access BOTH drives at the same time. That may account for the un-noticeable speed difference between the SSD and a fast spinning hard drive.

As to it's transparency, I have to say that it's perfect. I have installed commercial planes and scenery with no problems.

Manual instillation is the same, no problem.

I have a shortcut on the desktop pointing to the FSX folder on the C drive. Double clicking on the shortcut sends me to the FSX folder on the C drive. Double clicking on the Scenery or Sim Objects folder sends met to the correct folders on the E drive. At that point I manually install whatever I deed to. BUT I see none of that! To me the FSX folder just opens up.

And when I run the flight sim, it works. What more could you ask for.

For what it's worth, YOU could compress your C drive. I've done that in the far past. But I think that Junction Link Magic is a better solution.

I just checked and that Crucial M4 SSD is still only $139.

CORRECTION: between writing this and checking the link, the last one has been sold. I certainly hope that one of you guys got it.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:28 am

You'll have to use the Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD1 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC for $160 now. The first one was better, but this will work almost as well. Most people won't be able to notice the difference.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:25 pm

Getting back to software.

MESH

(Take a look at SketchUp Pro Tutorials for more info.)

If you were to look at a topographical map you would see a series of lines following a strange pattern, like this;

Each line would represent a standard measurement of height. One above, or below, the other. This height can be any measurement, but it will not vary.

Let's say that we use 20 feet (6.096 meters). So if line A is zero, then the next line below that will be -20 feet. And the one above line A will be 20 feet higher. The distance between the upper and lower lines will be 40 feet (12.192 meters).

If it were slices of cake it might look like this;

And that is what MESH is. A way of describing elevation, one slice at a time.

The smaller the unit of measure between the lines the better the mountains, hills, and valleys will look. But the more space that it'll take up on your hard drive.

The larger the differences between each "slice" the less room it'll take up, but your mountains will start to look like rounded hills.

Making a choice - FSGenesis - World Terrain Mesh

As time goes by, technology becomes "better". What you get with FSGenesis - World Terrain Mesh is the older technology (from 2006) and it shows.

BUT the thing to remember is that it is better than what comes with FSX! The other thing about it is that it's only $20.

Something else to understand is that they do have better versions that they sell with the tag line of "NEXTMAP". It looks like this;

The page from fspilotshop.com has that cover as part of their sale screen;

What you have to understand is that NOBODY is going to get a high resolution terrain mesh of the whole world for only $20. Just Sweden alone, costs $20 for the high definition version.

Does this mean that FSGenesis - World Terrain Mesh is no good?

No, it doesn't. It certainly isn't the best world mesh by any standard, except against the one that comes with FSX.

So why did I choose FSGenesis - World Terrain Mesh?

One, because it is cheap. Right now the next best choice (which is probably a heck of lot better) is the bundle from Pilot's - FS Global Ultimate - The Americas (FS9/FSX/P3D) Bundle with FS Global 2010.

The only problem I have with that, is the cost - $135 (99,99 EUR).

I look at FSGenesis - World Terrain Mesh as a temporary measure that costs less than a meal in a fairly cheap restaurant.

The second reason that I chose FSGenesis - World Terrain Mesh was that I think that sometime in the near future there will be a better option. The Pilot's software is on the older side too. And both companies have newer versions that are fragmented at the moment.

Until a newer & better solution comes forth, FSGenesis - World Terrain Mesh will work with the Obix system.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:46 am

FSGenesis - World Terrain Mesh

How it works on a global scale.

When MS created FSX they gave the US a better, higher definition, terrain mesh.

Western Europe received a fairly good terrain mesh.

Third world countries, like Australia ( :D ), got the bare minimum.

So all you furiners think that the good old US of A is a great looking place to fly. :D

All kidding aside, if you ONLY fly in the US you may not care about an improved mesh. If you ONLY fly in western Europe, a high definition mesh may be only a little more important.

And if you have high definition meshes of the countries that you fly in all the time, you probably don't need a HD world wide mesh at all.

As you can see, it all depends on you and your needs.

Me, I like flying all over the world. So I do need a better mesh. I just didn't know it until now.

In spite of the high definition INDIVIDUAL meshes for each country, on a world wide level, the terrain mesh makers think the same way that MS did.

And none of them waste much effort on the flat lands.

But that doesn't mean that the "flat" areas are totally neglected.

A while back, someone on SimViation was asking about Fuerteventura (one of the Spain Canary Islands) scenery. So I went off to Fuerteventura in FSX.

Fuerteventura is kind of an interesting place, but you would NEVER know it from FSX;

This is Fuerteventura with Orbix FTX Global and FSGenesis - World Terrain Mesh. The FSGenesis - World Terrain Mesh contributes the most to the overall improvements.

The DC-3 is flying BELOW the ridge tops, in this valley;

The difference between the original FSX screen shot, and the others tells it all.

And it's not just places that were once flat, uninteresting areas of the globe.

Try flying the rolling hills of Romania, or ridge hopping the Carpathian mountains. It's all so much better now.

FSGenesis - World Terrain Mesh does make many improvements, along with a few bad spots where lakes and airports are elevated way too high. Most people won't run into them, though.

As I said before, it's not the very best out there. But in the end, it was $20 well spent. And now I can wait for something much better at a better price than the current choices.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:12 am

I've reinstalled REX.

This program is supposed to have the best "clouds" in the business. It probably does.

The problem is the interface. It does EVERYTHING.

Or rather, YOU have to do everything, and it takes so long to start up.

What I want to do is to walk from my car into my home, look up at the sky, and THEN fly in THAT weather.

What I don't want to do is to decide how to reproduce THAT weather on the screen.

I used REX to go back in time to the last hurricane that we had and I was able to get complete cloud cover over the airport. But I was the one who had to do it. REX didn't do it.

And when I flew above the heavy cloud cover I saw that it only extended about 30 miles!

I think that REX may be a great program for someone who want to spend more time tinkering with the weather instead of just hopping in a plane and flying.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:19 pm

The greater your ignorance, the harder it is to use REX!

But I am learning. Slowly.

What do you expect from software that has 70 pages of instructions.

The first 2 things that I've learned are; ONE, it is very slow to set its self up. And TWO, is that YOU MUST run it as an administrator.

Not just have admin rights, but chose "Run this program as an administrator". That'll be near the bottom of the compatibility tab after right clicking on the icon.

Another possible source of trouble may pop up if you install it somewhere other than where they want it on the C drive.

But I did get my October 29, 2012 Hurricane Sandy. Full heavy cloud cover, top and bottom, and out beyond the horizon. Turbulence was minimal, so I'll need to track that problem down.

I still think, however, that it's capabilities far exceed the needs of most people.

I would rather that they worked on setting it up as a basic weather controller, with the option, somewhere other than the main screen, to play with fine tuning your clouds.

Speaking of clouds. Go ahead and choose the high definition cloud settings - 4096 x 4096.

I'm not to sure how much of an improvement that setting makes yet. But it had absolutely no effect on the FSX frame rate.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:20 pm

I've spent a fair amount of time with REX today. Six hours, actually.

And I can definitely say that the clouds themselves are VERY good.

Most of these pictures were taken within minutes of each other.
Small pictures can't show the details, but it'll give people a clue.

Plane old FSX.

FSX again

Fair weather REX sky

Just for a change of pace - ORBX

ORBX weather below

ORBX weather above

REX, Hurricane Sandy - NYC. Turbulence in REX is turned all the way up.
Obviously turbulence isn't a problem for some aircraft.

I don't think that the pictures can give a good impression of what you'll get when flying, so I'll stop right here.

I have no idea if REX replaces the clouds in FSX, or just builds a cloud texture database when you start up your flight sim.

I THINK that it might replace the FSX (in my case) cloud textures, because when using FSX by its self, without starting REX, the clouds seemed better.

But I don't KNOW, because it looks like REX builds the clouds, and the weather, EACH time that it starts.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:52 am

I've noted that REX takes a LONG time to start up.

So I timed it from icon click to the FSX startup screen. NOT to the FSX startup. Just to the FSX splash screen.

As I've said elsewhere, my C: drive is a 250GB SSD. I originally installed REX on the E: drive.

In researching for the cause of REX failing to load the weather, I saw several threads mentioning that REX will have trouble if installed in a location other than where it wants to be. So I uninstalled it, and let it re-install where it wanted, i.e. my C: drive.

Other REX threads said that it has to be run as "administrator". Done.

REX is now on an SSD drive. Remember that, when you see the times below.

All three times were done right after a reboot. So there should be no influence from previous starts, or interference from other programs.

Test one - 6 minutes and 34 seconds.

Test two - 5 minutes and 37 seconds.

Test three - 6 minutes exactly.

My best guess for the disparity in times, is that it occurs when REX goes online to get the weather.

The last time was done this morning.

This morning I have an absolutely clear, blue, sky. From my home I do have a good 360 degree view of that sky. Not a single speck of a cloud.

This is what I saw when I went indoors and started REX/FSX.

So where REX may have great clouds, its weather engine is for the birds. Not me.

I really do understand that it can't be 100%, and probably not even 80% accurate. But I live about 15 miles from where the weather data is coming from. It should be somewhat close.

All of the weather programs are offering too much. They're offering more, to be able to charge more money. Fine. But give me quick results on the primary purpose - WEATHER!

REX starts loading the weather BEFORE it, or I, (for that matter) even know where I'm going to take off from!

This is REX starting (it will automatically start FSX when it's ready);

That part usually takes about 1 1/2 minutes.

Once you get to this screen, click on the left button;

Now we really have to wait.

This says that it's "running the process to convert and load your textures". EVERY TIME??? WTF?

And now it has to convert your clouds??? EVERY TIME???

AGAIN! now the "Ocean water textures"??? EVERY TIME???

This goes on and on. :evil:
I'M NO WHERE NEAR THE TROPICS!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

After you go through all that, you get to the part that actually loads the weather into your flight.

If everything is set up correctly, you don't have to click the "LOAD WEATHER" button. It'll start in a moment or two.
"Image

With a 6 plus minute load time, NOT COUNTING THE LOAD TIME FOR FSX, you have to ask yourself, "Is REX worth it?" And I'm not even talking about the money.

And that load time is from an SSD drive.

For some REX may be worth it. But for me, I'm sorry that I bought it.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:01 pm

After my FSX melt-down a few months ago, I lost a number of things. Most were backed up, but not all.

One of those lost was Accu-Feel from A2A.

I had mentioned it in a reply to another post in reference to the Butt Kicker hardware.

That post is here - The poor mans sim pit.

To shorten the story, Accu-Feel was not backed up. I did have the e-mail from PayPal for the purchase however.

Although A2A couldn't find my purchase in their system, from last year, they sent me a link to download it again.

End of story - I lived happily ever after.

Now you too can make your day, and FSX better. I recommended Accu-Feel before, and can do so even stronger now.

OldAirmail
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Computer Games & Software