Sails of Silver, gliders, missing dx8vb.dll file

PC Software. Anything to do with PC Games & software!

Sails of Silver, gliders, missing dx8vb.dll file

Postby Chris Cosgrove » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:38 am

Sails of Silver is a great glider sim, BUT !

It was written for Windows XP, and ran fine in all variants of that. I now run Win 7 64 bit on a computer with a fair amount of grunt, and whenever I try to run SofS I get an error message 'dx8vb.dll missing - re-install to repair'.

I have it installed in its own folder, outside of 'Program files(x86)', with all the file attributes set to read/write. This is the same procedure I used to get MSTS to run in Win7 64, and that works.

I'm guessing, but I suspect this .dll file refers to directX 8, and I have either 9 or 10 on this computer - I'm not sure which installer put the latest version on ! However, I do not have this file on my system and re-installing SofS doesn't change that.

Before I get emotional and either lift a copy of this file off an old laptop running XP, or go and find dx9 ( or 10 ) vb.dll in my system32 folder and stuff it into the SofS folder, renaming it, has anybody got any better suggestions to make ?

I have tried 'Run as administrator' and tried running the .exe file in compatibility mode, with the same result - this error message crops up and the sim doesn't run. I would really hate to bin this application.

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove   :-[
Chris Cosgrove
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Sails of Silver, gliders, missing dx8vb.dll file

Postby Chris Cosgrove » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:16 pm

Well, I decided to get emotional and lift a copy of dx8vb.dll out of an old laptop running XP. I put this into the Sails of Silver folder and it didn't do anything, so I pasted it into Windows\System 32. This has had no ill-effects on the rest of my computer - thanks, Bill.

However, my A/V - Avast - wants to run it in the sandbox, and, grudgingly, says there isn't enough evidence to classify the .EXE file as malware, but . . . Anyway, once I get past that, all I get is a completely blank black screen for a few seconds before it reverts to my normal desktop. I don't think I am winning !

Anybody got any more ideas ?

Chris Cosgrove   :(
Chris Cosgrove
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hether33 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:01 am

Thanks, it helped. I advise everyone to try. In return I can offer a good service with clean dll files http://fix4dll.com/msvcr71_dll. Maybe someone come in handy. Good luck
Hether33
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby khushbu kashyap » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:04 am

These dx8vb.dll issues are appear when a game or other software program is started. Do not download the dx8vb.dll file from unauthorized links. it will create a another big issue for you, So before download the dll file you need to check that link is authorized or not. you don't need to go anywhere. Just download dx8vb.dll . I am assuring after having this file your problem would be solve definitely.
khushbu kashyap
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pete » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:47 am

khushbu kashyap wrote:These dx8vb.dll issues are appear when a game or other software program is started. Do not download the dx8vb.dll file from unauthorized links. it will create a another big issue for you, So before download the dll file you need to check that link is authorized or not. you don't need to go anywhere. Just download dx8vb.dll . I am assuring after having this file your problem would be solve definitely.

remember it's not compatible with W7

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 465dfcd7b1
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby hertzie » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:31 am

Would love to have a copy of this sim, searched Internet, is not even mentioned. Anyone willing to help?

Regards,

hertzie.
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby edcolley » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:38 pm

I get the dx8vb.dll issues when I start a game and software program. Any solution for this?
edcolley
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Computer Games & Software