joining the ranks....

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

Re: joining the ranks....

Postby Flying Trucker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks for the information folks...much appreciated... ;)
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jared » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:42 pm

Well....I apologize for not providing updates on each step of the way....however....I do have a link to the website with pictures of my recent updates!

I'm definitely not done with all of my "building"

once I get a few minutes of time I'll put together a list of parts used.

http://jspeergraphics.zenfolio.com/cessna172simulation
Jared
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Flying Trucker » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:31 pm

You have done a marvelous job and in a very short time it would seem... :)

A question for you.

Once you have the instrument panel installed the way you want what do you plan to do with the sides of the unit?

Will you install a monitor to the left and right of the main monitor?

The box almost looks like a wooden crate.  Will you enter from the rear?

I am also wondering about the cooling, are there extra fans we do not see?

Hope you keep us updated as it is looking real good... ;)
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jared » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks Doug! I fear that most of my simulator updates are on hold for a few months as the holidays come near I find the photography business picking up (christmas pictures of course!) and I need to recoup the costs involved thus far.

eventually I plan on having one large monitor across the front for the front view, and a monitor on either side to be utilized as my side view. due to monitors for side views on the side I decided that entry from the back is quite possibly the best way for now.

I'll try to remember to take some outside photos of the sim here in the next few days that show the outside. Currently my PC tower sits outside the enclosure so heat building up inside is quite minimal. Also I don't have a back wall or door to the system yet so ventilation shouldn't be a problem in the near future. Eventually I would like to be able to replicate the vents in the 172 with some form of air blown through.

Biggest thing I've found hard to get used to is just having one monitor on my desktop instead of the two since the other monitor was relegated to the simulator!
Jared
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Flying Trucker » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:16 am

Much appreciated...please keep us updated... ;)
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JBaymore » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:19 am

Keep em' coming Jared.

best,

..............john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Jared » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:32 pm

Finally got the Desktop Aviator 2450 GPS module installed! Comes with all working buttons, knobs and a LCD screen!
Jared
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Evans » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:45 pm

wow that sounds like an awesome setup!
Evans
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Jared » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:39 pm

website has been updated with a few pics showing the GPS installed.

Been in a flying mood and put quite a few hours in the simulator in the past few weeks!
Jared
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:42 pm

What will be your final monitor set up.

A while back, when my wife was out for the day, I put my 3 monitors away and brought her 40 inch TV over to my desk and set it up. For quiet a while I wondered how I could tell her that I needed a 40 inch TV too. Finally I gave up.

If you can, before you finalize your plans, beg, borrow, or steel a large screen TV. Give it a try. I'd prefer one very large screen to the 3 computer monitors that I'm using now.

The ONLY way that it would work for me is if I had space for another desk & computer set up. Maybe you have more room.

The only other advice I could offer is to get the Saitek TPM. The Cessna, and several other planes use this Push/Pull system. There is NO substitute if you want to build that type of cockpit.

Saitek, as always, does the software half-assed. There are 9 toggle switches on the right side. THEY ONLY REGISTER A CONTACT WHEN FLIPPED DOWN! That's right, you flip it up and there is no contact on that side.

The solution is to use FSUIPC to assign a command when the contact is made, and another command when the contact is lost (like Landing lights on contact/Landing lights off when there is no contact). If you haven't used FSUIPC, don't worry, it's VERY easy to do. No programming at all for something that simple.

Not really needed is a small wireless keyboard. I have the IOGEAR Multi-Link Bluetooth Mini Keyboard it can be stowed away in a second, and pulled out when needed.

Maybe not needed, but much better than a full sized keyboard with a wire trailing out the back.

(Hmmm. I wonder if my wife would mind me building a sim pit over her sowing machine?)
Last edited by OldAirmail on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:47 pm

BTW, what was the mysterious instrument, to the right, where you now have your GPS?

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Jared » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:59 pm

That's a 7 inch galaxy tablet which I put in the panel and us fsmovmap to show a moving map display.
Jared
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ermias » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:32 pm

Jared wrote:That's a 7 inch galaxy tablet which I put in the panel and us fsmovmap to show a moving map display.

Hi,
I also use 10" Aust transformer. Have you tried Aviation weather and maps? It is a monthly subscription, but it has approach plates, charts and moving maps among with flight plan. I find it very useful. I think there is trial period option too.

BTW. Great start on your simpit.

Thanks,
ermias
ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups