Plans for cockpit building....

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

Plans for cockpit building....

Postby Mictheslik » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:38 am

I was just asking whether anyone can recommend the location of any plans to assist in the building of a Boeing cockpit (737 or 747....hasn't been decided yet) from scratch?

A few fellow students and I are setting up a flight simulator society within our engineering department (that already has a Nimrod cockpit, Tomahawk Cockpit, J41 cockpit and 2 full motion sims in various state of repair)

We're planning on a long term project (c.3-4 years) for the society that's completely new as well as helping to improve/repair the sims we already have. Skilled manpower isn't an issue, nor is space. We can also obtain some ongoing funding for it. We just need some drawings and dimensions to work from :)

.mic (If we get this off the ground so to speak, I'll definitely post updates here!)
Last edited by Mictheslik on Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Image
Mictheslik
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Plans for cockpit building....

Postby JBaymore » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:05 pm

Hotdamn!~!!!!! 

Nice position to be in.

I am almost sure that there are such links back in this forum section in older threads.  It won't be instant, but I'll see what I can find.  You should start searching too.

And yes... please post pics of whatever you are working on.  :)

best,

...............john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Mictheslik » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:19 pm

An update to this....

The 737 idea is on hold. Instead we are going to be a little less ambitious in our first project and work on a partly build sim within the department.

It's a full scale Tornado GR4 front cockpit section built by BAe systems to aid cockpit layout development. It is completely bare apart from 3 MFD screens installed a few years ago and a throttle and constructed from 10mm dural (it's bloomin heavy)

Work started today prepping the body for a move into our workshop. We have 40 interested student engineers and almost all the parts we need for the build already (as it's been something the department have been meaning to get done for about 10 years now!) I'll start a new thread with pictures and updates :)

.mic
Last edited by Mictheslik on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Image
Mictheslik
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JBaymore » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:04 am

.mic,

Exciting.  Can't wait to see the images.

best,

.............john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby wifesaysno » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:20 am

:o
Holy crap on a cracker now that is my kind of engineering school!
wifesaysno
Major
Major

Postby Evan Popchock » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:56 pm

You could also go to this website that has simple homemade cockpit installations:  http://www.rogerdodger.net/diyflightsim ... html  I'm eventually purchasing one of these.  Hope this helps.

Regards,
Evan ;D
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups