Saitek panels

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

Saitek panels

Postby BE58D » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:18 pm

I'm looking at possibly getting the yolk/throttle package and rudder pedals.  Does anyone have the any of the panels such as radio stack, autopilot, etc. and if so how are they? I prefer GoFlight, but right now that's out of my budget.
HP Pavillion = p7-1233w
3.20GHz Processor
24GB of RAM (Windows 7 Home Premium only allows for 16GB though) :'(
Radeon 7560D - 4059MB
1TB SATA Internal Hard Drive
BE58D
Major
Major

Re: Saitek panels

Postby JBaymore » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:55 am

Having looked at the Saitek stuff, and having CH Products yoke, pedals, and throttle quad as well as a lot of Goflight stuff, I'd personally say save your pennies in a jar and wait til you can afford the better stuff.  I find the Saitek stuff kind of "gamey" rather than "aircrafty".  And physciallty better made.

Personal opinion....your mileage may vary.

best,

......................john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BE58D » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:20 pm

Thanks for the input.  I haven't received the new computer yet, and it may be a couple of weeks before I can afford the yoke and pedals.  I still (I think) have a couple of my GoFlight modules from several years ago.
HP Pavillion = p7-1233w
3.20GHz Processor
24GB of RAM (Windows 7 Home Premium only allows for 16GB though) :'(
Radeon 7560D - 4059MB
1TB SATA Internal Hard Drive
BE58D
Major
Major

Postby expat » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:33 am

I have the Siatek system, but use a VRinsight panel for radio, gear, flaps and autopilot.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ermias » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:52 pm

Hi,

I use both GoFlight and Saitek. Go flight it undoubtedly superior for most parts.

Saitek radios/Nav panels are very sensitive and jumpy while tuning, but you get two parts for a price of one compared to GoFlight. There is a software called "SPAD" which corrects the jumpiness.

The Saotek backlit information panel is great if you want real time info about engines, landing gear, oil pressure and related stuff.

I use a pair of Saitek throttles along with the trim wheel. I like these very much. The throttles come with three rocker switches which you can assign functions.

The switch panel is mainly designed for Cessna, but still can be customized using spad and FSUIPC.

I use 2X EFIS and MCP Pro along with GF-46 panel and works flawlessly.

I can't say about Saitek Pedals and Yoke, I use CH products.

Bottom line: STAY AWAY FROM SAITEK RADIO/NAV PANELS. Ultimately it is your choice, but as John has already said, take your time and enjoy working panels.

ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jared » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:59 pm

I currently have the following Saitek products:

(1) Saitek Proflight Yoke - http://saitek.com/uk/prod/yoke.html
(1) Saitek Rudder pedals - http://saitek.com/uk/prod/pedals.html
(1) Saitek Multi-panel - http://saitek.com/uk/prod/multi.html
(1) Saitek switch panel - http://saitek.com/uk/prod/switch.html
(2) Saitek Radio panels - http://saitek.com/uk/prod/radio.html
(1) Saitek Trim wheel - http://saitek.com/uk/prod/trimwheel.html
(1) TrackIR setup (with track clip)
(9) Saitek Flight instrument panels
1) samsung galaxy (7 inch) tablet (used for moving map gps)

As for the radio panels being jumpy when tuning the spad drivers resolve 99% of that issue.

The flight instrument panels use quite a bit of a computers resources (especially with 9 running) and being square they are not the best representation of a true cockpit, however for the money it's a decent setup. I actually just got the 9 FIP's in last week and mounted everything into a panel. I'll post pictures here in the next day or so showing the progress I've made thus far.
Jared
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Sojourner » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:07 pm

BE58D wrote:I'm looking at possibly getting the yoke/throttle package and rudder pedals.  Does anyone have the any of the panels such as radio stack, autopilot, etc. and if so how are they? I prefer GoFlight, but right now that's out of my budget.

Only my opinion, but Saitek has done a rather fair job in making various panels for the Flight Sim crowd. When I say "fair", it's a combination of quality, features, ease of use and price. Don't know if you've priced out other gear out there, but you might understand if you have.

My vCockpit currently consists of:
* Saitek Cessna yoke
* Saitek Cessna rudder pedals
* Saitek Cessna trim wheel
* Saitek throttle quadrants (2 in use, one in reserve)
* Saitek switch panel

I've owned the following:
* Saitek multi panel
* Saitek radio panel

The only reason they're no longer here with me is because I needed to raise some revenue, fast. They went very fast on CL. I've enjoyed them all with little to no tech issues.

Saitek really clobbered the ball out of the field with their Cessna offerings: they are realistic, easy to install/use and very comfortable in the tactile realm. They're also durable, they get a regular workout here. One thing I found out is Saitek's gear is also rather adaptable, having 'disassembled' the aforementioned switch panel and incorporating the components into various homemade components (overhead switch panel, landing gear/autobrake panel). The components were easily adapted into the homemade items and respond very well, with some assistance from registered FSUIPC. If you don't mind a generic arrangement of various displays and switches, the Saitek gear is hard to beat and the guts can be easily adapted into more-authentic custom panels if you so choose.

If you end up buying used Saitek gear, bear in mind that some items with rotary switches might have the 'gorilla-knob' issue, they're very hard to turn. Saitek has since addressed this matter in later models, so if you end up with used gear and very stiff rotary switches, I think I can refer you to a tutorial page which illustrates, with pictures, how to alleviate it quickly, easily and no money out-of-pocket. Hope that helps, let us know.
In memory of David "Opa" Marshall, 3/12/1935 - 8/4/2011
Fellow FS vPilot, guru, teacher, mentor, friend...thank you for everything, friend
Rest in Peace.
Sojourner
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby CrashII » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:15 pm

Go for Saitek yoke, pedals and the rest. Cheaper then GoFlight, better build quality then that CH crap. I owned a CH yoke. It broke after two months of intensive use. Bought a Saitek yoke plus a Saitek X-52 after that. Abused the hell out of it, still working as new.
CrashII
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:02 pm

BE58D wrote:Thanks for the input.  I haven't received the new computer yet, and it may be a couple of weeks before I can afford the yoke and pedals.  I still (I think) have a couple of my GoFlight modules from several years ago.

The above was written Sept. 24, 2012.

Can you tell us what you DID get?
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Blackey Cole » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:08 am

I been using the Saitek pro gear for some time yes it doesn't match up to the go flight gear for realism but it's not supposed to. It is a cross between Cessna and generic operation gear. It is designed to work with all equipment the two panels that I've not any experience with is the pro instrument panel and the tpm panel. I have the pro yoke not the Cessna or the basic one mine has the clock and timers on it, I have the throttle quadrant that came with it plus one additional one and there is a difference between the two, the included one connects by a din plug whereas the additional one use a usb plug.like the rest of the panels. The yoke operates as a small usb powder hub. I have two radio panels and may end up with two to four more if I don't upgrade to a vr insight or go pro comm panel setup down the road. I have the BIP panel for showing system faults, the switch panel which besides the basic switch sort ment has the trim wheel, flaps and gear operating switches and the starter based on the Cessna. The combo panel is the auto pilot switches and settings. I have the pro rudder peddles also right now all this is mounted to one of the wheel stand setups which is nice so you can move it out of the way when not needed. I have a three 24"Acer monitors mounter to a three monitor arm stand so I can positio the monitors as desired side by side and tilt or angle them. I have two hp envy dv7 17" laptops and two iPads for additional power and a hp 23" LCD and a Sony 24" PS3 monitor for additional veiwing needs. Eventually Id like to use the three acres for out of cockpit veiwing the two other monitors for gauges one of the iPads for moving map and the other as a gps viewer.

I just ordered a 1tb Samsung SSD drive and the tracker ir 5 veiwing setup last night.

Photos will come after I get so custom brackets made to hold the throttle quadrants and the Cessna trim wheel to the wheel stand and get everything up and running after this move. Plus add in the tracker and SSD drive. I'm going to use this on for fltsim software locations. The next will go for my os and some photo apps. Then the next two will be headed for the main drives in the hp laptops. After that I might add them as the second drive in the laptops before getting more for the desktop if needed for photo and iTunes librarys.

I have a ton of extra addon from AC to scenery and utilities that I need to learn to use before dumping the software on the fltsim system.

My favorite small civialian aircraft is the twin otter the it's the c130 , c 17, c5 and 141 plus I like helos I like the HH-60 as I've riden/flown on one before. I have the cargo pilot addon but screwed up when setting it up initially so it was hard to make money with it I chose the wrong plane to survive.

I'm thinking of for a project for the flying side is go through ground school and flight school to learn correctly and try to break my many bad habits. On the maintenance side I want to move away from the mouse and keyboard all together. If it needs tweaking then a switch of the coorect type will do it it may not be located in the correct panel but it will work.

I need to pull the list of command available to the basic AC of FSX then build a switch for them. Maybe a plain switch panel at first then I can work toward the correct panel for the AC I choose to fly. I'm looking at a vr insight switch panel to start then maybe after that I'll make some using a usb board that allows switch inputs. On board could support several panels iirc.
Blackey Cole
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:33 pm

Welcome, Blackey.

Here's a quick shot showing what I use.

The four lights on the CH Eclipse were added a while back. See story here.

The added switches control (when needed for the plane that I'm flying) raising & lowering the wingtip floats, Locking/unlocking the rear wheel on a tail dragger, raising & lowering the rudder on aircraft like the de Havilland Beaver, and fold/unfold wings (where possible of course).

The two nine inch monitors display a variety of instruments because I GA aircraft from the last 100 years.

The BIP has three custom made lights - Outer Marker. Middle Marker, and Inner Marker. Done here - BIP panel modification via SPAD

The list goes on.

I'm one of those weirdoes who likes to start from a cold dark aircraft. I don't want to press Ctrl + E to start the engines. I want to start then one at a time.

Again, welcome.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby ermias » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:15 pm

Hi,

Nice setup!!

Thanks,
Ermias
ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ermias » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi,

Are you using "SPAD" with your Saitek panels? It is a good tool; google it.

How are you going to use your monitors? With tripleHead2go? Or software alternative?

Also how about panels? This is good: http://www.peixsoft.com/index.php?page=download

Thanks,
Ermias
ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:39 pm

Thanks, ermias.

You have a perfect score: 3 for 3!

SPAD, FSUIPC, and GA Panels. :D

SPAD requires FSUIPC to work, and as far as I'm concerned, the Saitek panels aren't worth much without SPAD.

Not only does SPAD remove all of the problems that the Saitek software causes, but it adds new & simple commands that Saitek left out.

As to the FSUIPC software, all I can say is - AMAZING!!!

Once you understand how to use it you can do a great deal without any real programing.

And if you want to learn a little programing you can do FAR more.

Me? I'm simple. But as simple as I am, I find it no problem to issue multiple commands to FSX/P3d with just one button or keystroke using FSUIPC!

As far as GA Panel goes.

It too is a simple program that works, and one that works fairly well.

But it's no longer being worked on, and that shows.

It just barely meets my needs, but not always.

I have it, and I use it. But if Panel Builder from simPlugins ever goes on sale, I'd buy it immediately.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby ermias » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:57 pm

Hi OldAirmail,

I am already using them on different settings. The GA installed and used on a gaming laptop display and external monitor for the scenery along with MS Sidewinder FFB2.

My other project is a rather larger one hidden in the basement. It utilizes products like CH yokes and pedals, Saitek panels and throttles, Goflight radios, MCP and EFIS, real aircraft panels (modified), replica panels from different vendors. I like to do things by hand and modify already OK products and that is where I derive my energy and satisfaction.

For the last ten years I have been on a death row to be killed by my wife because of the big toy. You know what I mean ...

I have posted some pictures on SimV before, but now there is a lot of change. I will try to post some soon.

I am also happy that this section started to wake up from hibernation after so many months.

Thanks,
Ermias
ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups