Diy Rudder Pedals

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

Diy Rudder Pedals

Postby manesag » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:49 am

Hi guys

My dad recently aquired some rudder pedals off of a Boeing 727-100 sim and i wanted to know if i could use them to make a pair of rudder pedals. Its a little hard taxing with my joystick  >:(
manesag
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Diy Rudder Pedals

Postby JBaymore » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:58 pm

Yup.... it should be relatively easy.  You could use an old joystick for the electronics and then you just have to build the mechanical interface to make the movements of the pedals turn the potentiometers.

There should be some threads here that talk and show how to do that.... do some searching.

best,

....................john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Diy Rudder Pedals

Postby beaky » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:58 pm

If they are from a sim, they probably already have a potentiometer (or more than one) for movement and switches or pots for braking. Simplest thing is to get a cheapo joystick with enough switches and pots on it and hack it... that it, connect the appropriate wires on the joystick main board to the pots and switches on the sim pedals.
Your sim will just see the result as a joystick, and then you should then be able to just assign the desired functions.
This is more or less what I did to make my own pedals... got a joystick for $10 and it worked perfectly, although I had to build the pedals from scratch and position the potentiometer myself.

That's all I can suggest without knowing more about these pedals you have; you may just have to experiment.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups