Realistic Yokes and Throttle

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

Realistic Yokes and Throttle

Postby VBonanza » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:42 pm

I've just discovered that Saitek has Cessna branded yokes and other controls to use for flight simulators. Are there any other licensed controls? Beechcraft, Cirrus, etc?
VBonanza
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Realistic Yokes and Throttle

Postby Jetranger » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:17 am

Dunno' but I have these for my FSX Gold acceleration edition and am quite pleased with them.ImageImageImage
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby VBonanza » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:39 am

That first one looks nice. I have a cheap $20 stick..but I'm looking into getting rudder pedals, throttle, and a realistic yoke for GA aircraft. Lot's of options, do you get what you pay for basically with these? Is cheaper better? Or not?
VBonanza
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jetranger » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:42 am

I've seen others, tho I know nothing about them, ALL my stuff is Saitek, rudder peddles, flight yoke, throttle quadrant & joy stick,, the Aluminum & steel combat rudder pedals ran me bout 170.00 and the flight yoke & throttle quad bout 150.00 , the joy stick I picked off EBay new for 18.00 a year ago. Coupled with my Track IR5, which bout' 100.00 and I don't remember what Fraps cost me?  I have FSX Gold/ Acceleration edition, My puter has a XFX 6850 Graphics card with a Quad core processor and 12 GB of Ram.  I have 2 / 27" flat screens , and 1- 20" in. screen. that just on my Flight Sim Computer only,,,, my other computer across the Desk,, i'm on now has bout the same specs , minus the graphics card tho.   I am totally very pleased with all the Saitek componets I have, and have had no problems , its been over a year now. I mainly Fly Vintage propliners and Vintage older Jetliners from the 1950's 1960's 70's era , NOT really into all these over hyped Corporate logo Tubes thats out there now !!!Image

Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby VBonanza » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:43 pm

The Saitek is probably what I will go for. I mostly do GA aircraft anyhow, but occasionally I will get into something different, I like the Cessna stuff.
VBonanza
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby MASABI TROOPER » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:11 pm

Take a look on Hotas Warthog Flight stick....................is a very good option. :think:

Regards

Trooper
Bruno (Trooper)
MASABI TROOPER
Captain
Captain

Postby JBaymore » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:50 pm

There are some very realistic units... but they are quite expensive. I'll see if I can find the links to some of them.

best,

..................john
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby JBaymore » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:27 pm

JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MASABI TROOPER » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Thank you John, very nice links..................

Regards
Bruno (trooper)
Bruno (Trooper)
MASABI TROOPER
Captain
Captain

Postby Sojourner » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:23 pm

I got all the Saitek Cessna gear: the yoke, rudder pedals and trim wheel. I'm highly impressed, their feel is better than their old offerings, much less awkward, far more comfortable. Makes for a far better experience and was worth eating mac-n-cheese for two weeks to get.
In memory of David "Opa" Marshall, 3/12/1935 - 8/4/2011
Fellow FS vPilot, guru, teacher, mentor, friend...thank you for everything, friend
Rest in Peace.
Sojourner
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby OldAirmail » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:25 pm

Something else to consider.

The Saitek equipment is fairly good. But the price difference between their stuff and the really good stuff is extreme.

The main complaint that I have is with their customer support and the drivers that they provide for their flight panels.

You don't need to install any drivers for the yokes, throttles, or pedals. Just plug them in, and make sure that they're set up correctly.

On the other hand, my advice for the flight panels (other than the Pro Flight Instrument Panel) is DON'T!

DON'T INSTALL THEIR DRIVERS. Their drivers are just good enough to make them work. But not very well. Get SPAD and FSUIPC if you want the most from FSX.

But in your search for a more realistic flight experience (in a V35, Cessna 172/182, and some other light GA aircraft) you might want to get the Saitek PRO Flight TPM System (in addition to the Saitek throttle quadrant that comes with their yoke).

The Push/Pull knobs make this a truly great addition. Exactly like the real thing? No. But a hell of a lot better than using the noisy Saitek throttle quadrant for the planes mentioned above.

Here's what the real cockpits look like.
C-172

V35

More to the question about realistic controls: This is the GoFlight TPM version.

This would be a combination of the Saitek TPM and the Saitek Switch Panel - $130 + $82 = $212.

The GoFlight TPM is $463. From all that I hear the GoFlight panels are a good choice, and are well made. But with the extra $251 that I saved, I can buy more flight gear.

Each of us has to decide what is more important to us. For me, I'm quite happy with the Saitek equipment.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby JBaymore » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Ther is no comparison between the construction of the GoFlight modules and the Saitek stuff. It costs more..... but it's worth it in my opinion.

That being said....... everyone has to deal with budgetary constraints.

best,

...............john
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sojourner » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:49 pm

I agree with OldAirmail: do not install any software that comes with the Saitek yoke or rudder pedals, you will experience the infamous "phantom button-presses" which subject you to everything from unwarranted flaps actuation, inadvertent gear extension, or worse...engine shutoff. Flying a Cessna Caravan once, the turbine conked out at 1,200 AGL and I was lucky enough to restart it by 350 AGL. Hairy.

There are drivers that come with the Switch/Radio/Multi Panels; install them and FSUIPC, they are designed to work together.
In memory of David "Opa" Marshall, 3/12/1935 - 8/4/2011
Fellow FS vPilot, guru, teacher, mentor, friend...thank you for everything, friend
Rest in Peace.
Sojourner
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups