Towerguys baron project part 17

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

Towerguys baron project part 17

Postby Towerguy » Thu May 26, 2011 5:18 am

Hi guys
just a quick update to show I'm still plugging away slowly (Oh so slowly!).
I have been working on the engine instrument panel lately - I did look at the prebuilt ones but they are so hugely overpriced that I decided to give it a go myself.

first the parts, some servos via trademe on the internet, bought in bulk, so cheaper. some plastic gearing from a local electronic shop and some from recycled printers and the plastic was recovered from the roadside inorganics collection.

Then it was cut the plastic into shape and cut mounting holes for the servos.

then I decided I better make a prototype first just to check I was on the right track.

Back to fitting the servos

Then making up the layers of the instruments and the panel to attach them all to.

The local electronics store wanted $14 for a packet of half a dozen metal spacers - Yeah right! - at Bunnings ( a local trade store) I get a packet of plastic wall inserts, all the same size, 25 in a packet, for about $8.

Then its glueing the gears onto the servo horns.

This is the production line. Underneath you can see the faces printed out. This is a draft copy on plain paper - I think the final copy will be done on a sticky backed paper to glue onto the plastic sheet.

Thats progress so far.
Cheers all.
Towerguy
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Towerguys baron project part 17

Postby beaky » Thu May 26, 2011 11:53 pm

:o
Glad to see you are still plugging away at this project; looking good!
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ermias » Sun May 29, 2011 7:46 am

Hello Towerguy,

Project looks good; hope to see more updates as time permits. One of my hopes is to be able to make steam gauge like standby instruments.

ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Towerguy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:10 am

Hi ermias
the rectangle I cut from a larger piece using a bandsaw. I fed it through very slowly to avoid it splitting and cracking. I left about 1mm to file down by hand around the outside of each rectangle.

the smaller internal rectangles were first marked and then drilled  - very slowly and carefully - so I could slide a saw blade through before reconnecting the handle and cutting by hand. Once again I cut leaving a small margin to file down by hand until I reached a good fit with the servo.

A good idea is to make up a metal or thin wooden template to clamp over the plastic so all the holes end up in the same place. Also I find that going very slowly when pressing the drill into the acrylic helps stop it grabbing or splitting.

Hope this helps
Cheers.
Towerguy
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby machineman9 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:34 am

I fed it through very slowly to avoid it splitting and cracking. I left about 1mm to file down by hand around the outside of each rectangle.

Using some masking tape around the outside of the line you're cutting can also help to prevent cracks.

Looks good so far though  ;)
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby Towerguy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi again ermias

sorry, I just noticed the second part of your question, the interfacig is by opencockpits using the usb servo and master boards and programming in SIOC. Thats the plan anyway.

cheers
Towerguy
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JBaymore » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:27 am

Looking great Towerguy.  I understand about the "slow" bit......... my work has been totally put on hold due to "life" at the moment.  Can't WAIT to get back to it.

best,

...........john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups