Anyone know a cheap way to get a homebuilt Cockpit?

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

Anyone know a cheap way to get a homebuilt Cockpit?

Postby AirForcePi1o7 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:40 pm

I mean like for Jets/Fighter Jets. Mainly Fighter jets... But anyone know the cheapest? I'm 13 so I don't have that much money.
Civil Air Patrol Cadet Senior Airman.
"I pledge that I will serve faithfully in the Civil Air Patrol cadet program, that I will attend meetings regularly, participate actively in unit activities, obey my officers, wear my uniform properly, and a
AirForcePi1o7
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Anyone know a cheap way to get a homebuilt Cockpit?

Postby JBaymore » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:05 pm

AirForcePilot,

I wish there was a way.  Go get a part time job and start saving now for when you are 40 ;).  Even the cheapest ways to set this stuff up are typically thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars. 

A single P+P Goflight VRP-166 aviation radio unit is pushing $200.  Most aircraft have a LEAST two radios.... $400 POOF!. And two nav radios... another $400 gone.  Add a good powered usb hub and there is almost a Grand.

Even with raw parts and building the driving interfacing yourself (with great electronics skills and already having some tools) you are probably looking at $50 minimum each in parts alone per radio.  And many, many hours of work.

There is a pretty tight relationship between realism and price.  The more realistic, the more expensive.

Don't want to "rain on your parade".... but that is the reality.

Look in old threads in this forum sectuion for some creative ways to do basic stuff cheaply.  You can still add a lot of immersion with these kinds of things.

best,

....................john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby AirForcePi1o7 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:09 pm

Well then, Whats the cheapest Gaming Computer that I can get that is still good? And maybe a place to get cheap but good Throttles and Joysticks? Currently I'm using Mouse yoke.
Civil Air Patrol Cadet Senior Airman.
"I pledge that I will serve faithfully in the Civil Air Patrol cadet program, that I will attend meetings regularly, participate actively in unit activities, obey my officers, wear my uniform properly, and a
AirForcePi1o7
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby HarvesteR » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi there!

I'm afraid John is right... Sim pit and cheap are two words (ok, 3 words  ;) )that don't go together in the same sentence...

But since you mention you're using Mouse Yoke (I admire the braveness), you might get a huge improvement just by getting yourself a good joystick.

I would suggest Saitek's X52 line, since you mentioned you're into fighters... these sticks are VERY good for their price, and are already well above the average gamer's setup.

then, once the bug is settled in (it's only a matter of time), you could save up for a triple head setup. Trust me when I tell you that once you get one of these, you will wish every computer in the world had three screens by default.

These things I suggested are what, to me, would give you the best experience without raising the price to the astronomical figures a regular simpit normally entails... nevertheless, they aren't what one might call cheap, but I think it's a much better bang for your buck than diving headlong into the simpit addiction.

Best of luck!

Cheers
:D NEW PC SPECS: Intel Core i7 920 - 6GB Corsair DDR3 PC12800 RAM- Intel DX58SO Mobo - Geforce GTX 460 768MB GDDR5 - 3x LG1952h LCDs through Matrox's TH2Go - 640GB Seagate Barracuda 7200Rpm
HarvesteR
Captain
Captain

Postby beaky » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:16 pm

All I can say is this: eventually you have to spend some money, at least on the electronics, but imagination, patience, and willingness to scrounge and do a lot of work can save you big bucks.
I haven't really kept track of what I've spent on mine, but a lot of it was made out of free materials, fabricated with my own hands (and, I'll admit, some tools that I owned already).
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Romflyer » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:10 pm

Check out this site http://www.rogerdodger.net/diyflightsims.html
they have alot of simple ideas that can get you started, you will probably find the jet pit mod at the bottom of the page as something you should think about.......of course you will need to figure out the joystick thing first  ;)
Romflyer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby RitterKreuz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:50 pm

it might be cheaper to get a private license and buy a decent cessna 150.
RitterKreuz
Major
Major

Postby olderndirt » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:12 am

[quote]Check out this site http://www.rogerdodger.net/diyflightsims.html
they have alot of simple ideas that can get you started, you will probably find the jet pit mod at the bottom of the page as something you should think about.......of course you will need to figure out the joystick thing first
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/oldrt18.jpg
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby Steve M » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:52 am

[quote][quote]Check out this site http://www.rogerdodger.net/diyflightsims.html
they have alot of simple ideas that can get you started, you will probably find the jet pit mod at the bottom of the page as something you should think about.......of course you will need to figure out the joystick thing first
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby westside » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:26 am

That all looks good the PVC framework and all but notice it is filled with yokes, pedals, joysticks and throttle quadrants, all some what pricey pieces of hardware. The frame work is some what inexpensive but not really. Back to the question of a cheap home cockpit............. The answer is no.
I am approaching the cost of a private pilots license with what I have invested in mine. The problem for me and a real pilots license is that I would not get to fly the aircraft I get to fly in Flight Simulator.

Mark
westside
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Steve M » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:30 pm

That all looks good the PVC framework and all but notice it is filled with yokes, pedals, joysticks and throttle quadrants, all some what pricey pieces of hardware. The frame work is some what inexpensive but not really. Back to the question of a cheap home cockpit............. The answer is no.
I am approaching the cost of a private pilots license with what I have invested in mine. The problem for me and a real pilots license is that I would not get to fly the aircraft I get to fly in Flight Simulator.

Mark

All true of course, but what is the definition of a homebuilt cockpit on a 13 year olds budget. Living in Ontario (expensive) I just bought a keyboard for 19 dollars and tax yesterday. Most people know someone in construction and if you are 13 yrs. you can ask for help with materials. If not you can copy this with scrap lumber. Flying a fighter jet you don't always need a yoke, so your exsisting joystick should do. Using imagination as you age untill you can add throttles and pedals, ect. The answer to a 13 year old should be yes you can start and build as you are able to.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby JBaymore » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:18 pm

The problem for me and a real pilots license is that I would not get to fly the aircraft I get to fly in Flight Simulator.

BINGO!

best,

.................john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Solid » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:54 am

You can make a 737 or a Cessna 172 cockpit for around 15 US Dollars and some imagination....Here is a pic of a cockpit I made a year or so ago using...Sheet Foam!!..it depends on what equipment you have...for a single monitor plus controls it could be much cheaper...note that I covered the foam with colored cardboard....the top is a complete .85 cents foam board..... ;) ;)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/ ... abina1.jpg
Last edited by Solid on Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gera
Solid
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups