Review; VRinsight M Panel

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

Review; VRinsight M Panel

Postby expat » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:33 pm

I have now spent a couple of hours using it. The first thing that I noticed was each time I went to push a button with one hand I was holding onto the M Panel with the other. Completely unnecessary and I had to force myself not to do it. I have been so used to computer add ons that have no substance to them when they are in the hand. The M Panel is all steel and weighs accordingly, it also has four very good rubber feet. There is enough weight and friction for it to sit on a desk or on top of a yoke without it moving a millimeter when used. The second thing that I noticed was build quality. As I said, for me it is better than GoFlight. I have always had the feeling that GoFlight was designed in the 70's and production had remained in the 80's. For example GoFlight uses LED displays for number and letter indication, VRinsight us LCD, a completely different feel to it. The third thing I noticed was how totally rubbish the instruction manual was. This was a surprise because I fully expected to tear my hair out trying to set it up, not trying to find out how it worked, but that was not the case. It comes with a DVD that is self starting and very confusing, giving you several things that could/should/if you want to be done. It took a complete folder by folder search of the DVD to find the user manual (turned out to be worse than useless too) The start of it is OK. Install the drivers, install the USB plug in, connect the M Panel, start the interface program, start FSX, click on aircraft load in the interface program and away you go. It all lit up and acted as the first part of the instructions said it would. So I set up a flight and tried it out. This is where VRinsight let themselves down. Up to this point it was all simple and very easy. The first part of the user manual dealt with the radio mode. All very easy to follow and it worked first time out. The second part was about MPC heading, speed, alt etc. Now this took a bit of working out. One part of the manual is completely wrong in telling you how to do things. Only because I do not accept defeat that I persevered and found the error was in the manual and not in the panel that it did not get packed up ready to be returned as non functioning. The third part of the user manual covers the the autopilot. Well the pictures are very nice and in full colour, but that is about it. I got the feeling that the author of the manual got bored and decided that a couple of pictures would do. Again, it was trial and error to work it all out. Once that was clear, it was a quick IFR flight in the default 737-800. All the inputs are easy and clear, though it does take a few goes to get the switching for each level, autopilot, MCP and radios into you head. Although the same switching is used, it not the same sequence in each level but not having a clear manual was the main problem here. All in all entering Heading, alt, speed, VS, squawk and frequencies was a real joy in comparison to holding the mouse over a knob in the virtual cockpit and click, click, click etc etc. The M Panel also has switches for gear and flaps and although not shaped as you would expect (just toggle switches) they are substantial in feel and response. They give a solid click and feel like they will last a long time. The M Panel also has the ability to control trim too, but I have one of the rocker switches on my Siatek yoke programmed for that so I did not bother to use it. All in all I am very pleased with my purchase. At
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Review; VRinsight M Panel

Postby JBaymore » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:49 pm

Expat,

Thanks for the first real review on simpit-type hardware (close enough) in this forum section.  Nice pictures of it too.

By the way........ what did you think of the instruction manual?
Last edited by JBaymore on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby tcco94 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:11 pm

Thanks for the review. I asked this for my birthday which is next sunday so if I get it im going to be really pleased. Im pretty excited, I really want it. I hate using the mouse and it seems so much better than the Saitek Pro Flight Module thing.

Thanks 8-)
tcco94
Major
Major

Postby expat » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:34 am

Thanks for the review. I asked this for my birthday which is next sunday so if I get it im going to be really pleased. Im pretty excited, I really want it. I hate using the mouse and it seems so much better than the Saitek Pro Flight Module thing.

Thanks 8-)

I hope you get one, but please be warned, it's the manual not the panel that causes you to pull your hair out :'( :'(

Matt

PS If the birthday fairy is good to you, any problems that stump you due to this, you can always PM me, I may have already been there :-/
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby scalper_old » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:58 pm

Will it work with FS9?
scalper_old
Major
Major

Postby expat » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:22 am

Will it work with FS9?

FSX and 2004.

Matt

expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby tcco94 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:54 am

I got the Saitek control panel instead although I might still get the M panel later ill make sure to contact you if I get it and have any problems. ;)

Thanks
tcco94
Major
Major

Postby plodgeface » Sun May 31, 2009 2:32 pm

hey, i am new around here but i am already impressed with the passion and commitment so many people have for flight sim lol. i would like to thank you for giving us a great review of this product and really the only decent review i have seen of it.

Philip
plodgeface
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby expat » Sun May 31, 2009 4:11 pm

Thanks Philip. Check your PM in box.

Matt

expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JBaymore » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:44 am

Plodgeface,

Hi and welcome to both SimV and the Homebuild Cockpits forum section.

best,

..................john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 757200ba » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:03 pm

My one its on his way, i look a kid on a candy shop.I just hope i have no problems with it.It must be wonderfulllll.
757200ba
Captain
Captain

Postby Rich H » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:30 pm

Nice review, so apart from the manual stress it was all very good? Cool.  ;)
Not really a fault of yours, but could you format the review; on the forum it's a harder to read when it's all bunched together.  :)

"Politics" is made up of two words, "Poli", which is Greek for "many", and "tics", which are blood sucking insects. - Gore Vidal
Rich H
Major
Major

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups