usb controller interface

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

usb controller interface

Postby tspcrowther » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:55 pm

Anyone had any experience with an "Ultra Precision Joystick Controller BU0836A"  from Leo Bodnar??

It`s capable of handling up to 8 analog inputs and up to 36 switches.  It seems to support a wide array of potentiometer values, and hall sensors. It also has a 6x6 button array that supports rotary encoders.   It runs off the built in windows drivers but comes with editing and tweaking software if necessary.  Apparently you could have up to 16 of these on one machine.

Sounds just what I need, apart from being a tad fidely....  But are they any good??

tspcrowther
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: usb controller interface

Postby JBaymore » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:50 pm

There are postings in this forum section on the leo bodnar cards.  Look around until a current user can give you feedback.

The seem to get high marks from what I've read.  I don't use them though.

best,

.................john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BSW727 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:20 pm

They're tops. Awesome bang for the buck. You can't go wrong with buying one, or two or more. I have one running my 727 overhead, and I'll soon be converting my throttle quadrant over to a Bodnar card.

Good stuff.
BSW727
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tspcrowther » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:30 am

Right o, cool... I found a couple of other mentions too,  Think I might just have to get one then.  :)   
tspcrowther
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby tspcrowther » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:34 pm

I got one through the post today and wired it up to my scrapheap challenge style flight control system I`ve built out of a couple of dead joysticks, a mic stand, argos bedside cabinet and various other bits of junk.    It was easy to connect up and configure and the hall sensors work great after a little tweeking of the magnet position.  I now have an ultra precise, no free play flight stick, pedals and throttle roughly based on an extra 300 layout for a fraction of the price of a factory built combo..     Happy days!!   ;D   

I`m not entirely sure my build quality will last a year, but I got plenty of hot glue sticks left  ;)      
tspcrowther
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby BSW727 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:18 pm

Glad that it worked out. You may be doing some repair work down the road aways.

One thing about a full size simulator is that it gets treated much in the same way that a real aircraft would with a lot of bumps and scratches and generally flying it as if it were real.

Maintenance and upkeep is higher than you would expect in a simulator, but not higher than normal. Bulbs need changing out periodically, switches need replacement on occasion, sometimes a wiring glitch needs to be tended to, and general housekeeping needs to be done. Dusting, wiping up spilled coffe or beer, cleaning the instrument glass, cleaning the exterior glass, etc, etc.

Nothing like taking care of your very own airliner though!  :)
BSW727
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JBaymore » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:58 pm

[quote]One thing about a full size simulator is that it gets treated much in the same way that a real aircraft would with a lot of bumps and scratches and generally flying it as if it were real.

Maintenance and upkeep is higher than you would expect in a simulator, but not higher than normal. Bulbs need changing out periodically, switches need replacement on occasion, sometimes a wiring glitch needs to be tended to, and general housekeeping needs to be done. Dusting, wiping up spilled coffe or beer, cleaning the instrument glass, cleaning the exterior glass, etc, etc.

Nothing like taking care of your very own airliner though!
Last edited by JBaymore on Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BSW727 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:31 pm

Yes indeed! I lost my #3 engine throttle control on a flight once. A wire had come off of the input card. I flew it along until it was time for the decent and I ended up shutting it down for the remainder of the arrival.

It wasn't something I could fix on the fly. So to speak.  ;D
BSW727
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups