Thinking of building my own flightdeck

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

Thinking of building my own flightdeck

Postby jaime » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:53 am

Ok Im thinking of building a flight deck, but I really dont know where to begin, and by that I don't mean "I don't know where to look" (i got plunty of sites and what not) its mroe of a "what type of pit/set up can I build that gives me what I want but still will be able to do multi plane flying"

IE a setup that can be used for jets or props and not look out of place when flying either (as in 747 setup when flying a cessna)

also does anyone have suggestings on what type of parts to use or what materials to use?

I am thinking of going more for multi engin style (since I can always turn off two throttles verses trying to add more)

anyother ideas commants concerns also welcome, I never did this type of thing before (although I am not new to building custom computer rigs but this still is a new thing for me) so I would like to get as mich info before I start spending money on parts.

at this time I am thinking of going with the saitek pro flight products, but I dont know how well that will work...
one of the starters of the burner pandemic
jaime
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Thinking of building my own flightdeck

Postby BSW727 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:06 pm

Unfortunately, there is not a manual, book, or set of instructions on how to build a simulator.

It's something you have to research, decide what you can build and what you will have to buy, and determine the best method of construction and materials.

Check here: mycockpit.org

And then look here, sorry no links. Just type it into a search engine:

Flight Deck Solutions
Fly Engravity
Open Cockpits
Precision Flight Controls
Airline Pilots Historical Society (for Boeing parts)
Cockpit Sonic
Northern Flight Sim
Flight Illusion
Seagull
e-Bay (for Boeing parts)

You can build a generic cockpit, but it's not going to be a solution for everything. Many times it best to decide what your favorite aircraft is. I mean, one you absolutely love and build it.
Last edited by BSW727 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSW727
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby jaime » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:41 pm

hmmm true, and thanks...I tend to fly more the jet planes, usually the smallest I fly is a lear 45 (or similar) plane and any thing bigger...biggest I have flown is the AN-225 for FSX...so I gonna possibly go multi engin, I can always set it up so if I got two engin lear jet and 4 throttles the 3rd and 4th throttle basicially are not used...least I think i can...

I am lookin to go along the lines or at least follow the lear jet or boeing setups, more along the 747 ish range.

EDIT: ok just looked at all the different things and all I can say is...damn....looks like its gonna get alot more complicated then I thought it already was...unfurtunatly I have more questions then answers provided :(...oh well I will hopefully figure out somthin, in the mean time I guess I could stick to my plans to buy the saitek equipment and as time permits and when able slowly swap things out for what I want when I finially can hopefully start building my pit...

also whats the avrage size of a full B747 pit? (or A380 [which ever would be the biggest])...I would ask about the AN-225 but I know more then likely one has never been done...
Last edited by jaime on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaime
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby BSW727 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:04 pm

727 is eight feet across. 747 is about 12'.
BSW727
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby stevehookem » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:01 pm

What's your budget? Do you want to start piece by piece and build slowly or get it all done now?

How much space do you have?
i7 940 at 4.0ghz
stevehookem
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby stevehookem » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Unfortunately, there is not a manual, book, or set of instructions on how to build a simulator.

It's something you have to research, decide what you can build and what you will have to buy, and determine the best method of construction and materials.

Check here: mycockpit.org

And then look here, sorry no links. Just type it into a search engine:

Flight Deck Solutions
Fly Engravity
Open Cockpits
Precision Flight Controls
Airline Pilots Historical Society (for Boeing parts)
Cockpit Sonic
Northern Flight Sim
Flight Illusion
Seagull
e-Bay (for Boeing parts)

Don't forget GoFlight! I use several of their modules and they are fairly reasonable. The customer service is great. They have a hardware FMC coming in the spring. Good stuff!
i7 940 at 4.0ghz
stevehookem
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby jaime » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:36 pm

well personally I would love to get it all done in one run but thats gonna be impossible (unless I get lucky and find the money I will need)

budget...as inexpensive as I can keep it as for space, I wish I had alot, but sadly I dont have much and I dont think I will be moving my PC from my room to the basement, plus I got chairs and stuff i would have to move from the basement...:( so sadly it seemes this idea died before it could begin :'( unless I can find some kind of alternative...

although would a picture of my computers current location help any in figureing out any kind of solution? cus I would like to get some kind of set up that at least would function like the rear stuff (and still allow for me to store it when I dont need it) and when in use keep it all on the floor with part (hopefully) under a table to keep the entire foot print as small as possible...

UPDATE:

The idea has renewed steam, the goflight (thanks) is small enough that its highest point is only 25" (YAY) so it would fit under the table in my room with minimal stick out, and it can hold up to 14 pieces so thats a good thing, now I just got to figure if this stuff (the panels and all that hardware) is the type you assemble your self or if it will come ready to plug and play...

never done this type of project so it should be interesting when I pull the trigger and start it...hehe
Last edited by jaime on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaime
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JBaymore » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:17 am

...... now I just got to figure if this stuff (the panels and all that hardware) is the type you assemble your self or if it will come ready to plug and play...

never done this type of project so it should be interesting when I pull the trigger and start it...hehe

jamie,

Welcome to the "nuthouse" of the pit builders here on SimV!

The Gioflight stuff is pertty much plug and play.
Last edited by JBaymore on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby westside » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:44 am

Nice to see the cockpit builders out there. I have built a general purpose jet pit that I am happy with. Most of it is off the shelf and plug and play. I can go from a Cessna 172 to a B747 without much trouble. I have found good luck with Go-Flight and Saitek.
I started with a good computer and basic controls(yoke,pedals and throttles) and went from there.
Start slow and add when you can. This site is also very helpful and there are alot of great people here.
Good Luck
Mark
westside
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby jaime » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:54 am

thanks for the feedback guys, I have decided to start with the saitek yoke, throttle(s) and possibly the peddals (i do have the saitek X45 so that should allow me to be ok untill I get a true yoke set up with dedicated throttles and pedals :))

as for go flight seemes a tad expencive, but I guess I just need to pay to play...could be worse....could be 2 grand or better...so at least I can have the options of getting what I want as I can :)

what would you all suggest as a start off point since I am going to be using either my Saitek X45 throttle/stick unit or as I have been doing so far my Xbox360 controller?  I do plan on getting the pro flight console thing and I did confirm that I got enough room for it (barely), but Ill make it work :D

also for the throttles and things like that, they can be configured for left handed use right? (i prefer to sit in the right side seat when ever I fly)
jaime
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby BSW727 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:44 am

Go Flight equipment is about the absolute cheapest outboard equipment you will find anywhere. I didn't mention this equipment in my original post as it's for GA size-wise. It will work for any pit, but it will not fit a standard Boeing or Airbus equipment rack. It's the size of Narco/King/Bendix radio gear for MIP installation in a GA aircraft.

Something you've probably already found out is that this hobby is not cheap by any means. Even the cheapest equipment will still tally a large amount if you buy everything you need to equip even a modest desktop setup.

Boeing or Airbus type radio heads, $190-$450
One Korry indicator, $20-$50
A single GA instrument, $125-$350
Control yoke, real, $150-$500
Aircraft seat, $500-$2500, used, probably need maintenance and recovering.
Set of landing light switches, $160
Etc, etc, etc. And that is not even factoring in the software, monitors, and computers, along with all of the other hardware needed for a simulator.

Wait till you graduate to the big boy Boeing and Airbus cockpits. You'll be looking at some real cash then. A lot can be saved by building what you need.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but you need to be made aware of what you're getting yourself into.
Last edited by BSW727 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
BSW727
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby jaime » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:43 pm

I know, thats why Im holding off on buying things till holidays are over and now needing a new set of used wheels is taken care of...
jaime
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JBaymore » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:29 am

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but you need to be made aware of what you're getting yourself into.

Well said.

Jamie, take the budget, double it, then add three zeros.   ;)

best,

..................john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups