FreeFD ....BINGO!!! You want it? Go get it.

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

FreeFD ....BINGO!!! You want it? Go get it.

Postby JBaymore » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:00 pm

Hi all.

I have been constantly searching for new "leads" for the GREAT FreeFD software that Don Lafontaine has created ever since his website was discontinued... and apprently along with the development of this project as well.

In case you don't know about it, the FreeFD suite is a freeware stand alone gauge package that gives you "Boeing Glass" for your simpit. It is intended to run OUTSIDE the sim, on networked machines that are running FSUIPC and WideFS. It includes the PFD, the ND, the EICAS, and a rudimentary synoptic (not really completed). The ND display will display the famous "magenta" course line if you install a flight plan into it in the OLD Squawkbox format. All in all it is VERY nice...and rivals Project Magenta in many ways.

Unfortunatley....it is apparently an abandoned project and it still has some small bugs and minor missing stuff. But I have been using it in my pit for YEARS quite happily.

I keep HOPING that Don will resume work on it....... he had such a GREAT start going.......and suddernly it will pop back onto the flight deck building scene like a ton of dynamite. But so far.... no such luck.

His last FreeFD website was created in 2003 after his original site was the victim of hackers. It is LONG gone.

The News!

BUT... I just discovered that the Web Wayback Machine archive site HAS a portion of the FreeFD website located on it. OK...so you can see a few of the last postings....great. But the BEST news is that the hot links on the right top side of the following page STILL lead to the intact download files of the last and latest versions of the FreeFD software, including the last patch to the ND display and the ND Navigation database.

Download and ENJOY!!

http://web.archive.org/web/200410110021 ... om/freefd/

Yahoo!!!!

best,

......john
Last edited by JBaymore on Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: FreeFD ....BINGO!!! You want it? Go get it.

Postby ermias » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:51 am

Hi, I was really happy to read this. Thanks, it is rally grat help. I was searching for free Glass Cockpit software for a while and I gave up. Open GC is too far for me as I don't know much programming. And Project Magenta is $$$$$ you know...
Anyway, I am in the process of setting up a very low budjet cockpit on a desk. I tried free FD from the same computer that runs FS9, it didn't work much. Now I am thinking to purchase FSUIPC. My question is does free FD really work with wide FS  & FSUIPC? I thought I read somwhere in this forem FSUIPC doesn't support free FD.
Thanks again.

ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JBaymore » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:49 am

ermias,

If it doesn't work............. I better tell the computers in my simpit network that  ;).  For some reason.,.. they don't seem to know that.

Yes..... FSUIPC works just fine with FreeFD.  You need the combo of FSUIPC and WideFS to run FreeFD.  FSUIPC gets the dat in the sim extracted...and WideFS makes a program on a separate networked computer think that fs9 is actually running on it.

I am not sure about when Pete Dowson releases the NEW version of FSUIPC though... the one desiogned for FSX.   THAT situation is something that I hope is "backward compatible".  Otherwise my pit will be staying on fs2004.

best,

......john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ermias » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:37 pm

John,
Thanks for the reply. I think I will stick to fs9 untill I learn the pros and cons about FSX even if it is very exciting. And it is also my hope the updated FSUIPC would be reverse compatible.

Regards, ermias

ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JBaymore » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:20 am

ermias,

For me and my simpit, FreeFD is THE key to the fact that it even exists.  When I discovered THAT.... it lead naturally to the idea of building a pit.  Without that software available for FREE.... the core flight display functions would not exist.  

I simply CANNOT afford stuff like Project Magenta.

FreeFD's implementation of the PFD and the ND (with the actual navigation course function) are the main components of the basic function of my pit.  Without those two specific items....... the other possible options available to replace them are nowhere near as complete or as functional or as easy to use or to set up.

It is a REAL shame that Don Lafontaine seems to have abandoned the FreeFD project he started.  BUT I can EASILY understand how "life" can get in the way of such a complex project being done totally for free.  So I certainly do not hold any negative feeliongs against him for dropping it.  Itis just the way it is.

The problem for me will come when the sim software moves ahead.... and eventually FreeFD in its present form (with the existing FSUIPC interface format) is no longer functional.

best,

......john
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ermias » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:38 pm

John,
I intirely agree with your idea. I will keep building my little simpit and stick to free FD. I am thinking to use a big TV set for the main view and three monitors for ND/PFD/EICAS including the standbys.  I have already bought the registration keys for FSUIPC and I am trying to get to know its functions. I am also researching to get some ideas as to how to build throttle quadrant for 767/757. I use CH Yoke and I really don't want to buy their throttle. (I really like the product though!) I kind of want to build one myself and try to buy com/Nav radio. I am closely reading the Flightsim's how to's for information.  Is there any simpit website that teaches the besics how to use rotary switches with digital segments to go with keyboard? I have this second idea to build the glare with all the auto pilot controls. I have been reading about your simulator and it is really great.  
Regards, ermias

ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby cwloew » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:58 pm

I like free, it has a certain ring to it, don't you think?

MY,  Quote, unlined exclamation point etc, problem is that I seem to lack common sense .. I think.

That is to say that the gauges  are beautiful, they function well, but HOW does one make an instrument panel for these, along with the addition of other instruments?

My instrument panel consists of taking a 737-200 main bitmap, repainting it with Paint Shop Pro 8, and used FSPanel Studio to place gauges that are from my FS 2002 libraries.  functional, though not complete, as I havent made the AP-MFD so that "gauge" is on my instruent panel along with a few others I can remove, rearrange, then add other gauges as the two tower panels take shape.

I have a 17 inch monitor flat screen (not panel) for the instruments, and an old 13 inch monitor on top for the windsreen, that will be updated AFTER all else is done.

To control my switches and rotary encoder switches I will be using Hagstrom Electronic s Keyboard encoders ( VERY inexpensive) NO CODE to write, works and plays well with  Peter Dawsons utility, all on one computer.
cwloew
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby JBaymore » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:37 pm

[quote]That is to say that the gauges
Last edited by JBaymore on Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby JBaymore » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:29 pm

This is not any kind of CONFIRMED information.... just a supposition I have based on some various references which I have found in looking around the net a bit........ BUT..........

I THINK that I have discovered where Don LaFontaine (author of the FreeFD software) has been putting his programming efforts of late:

http://www.elliesystems.com/

So if this is actually his website ....... it looks like he has shifted from the whole freeware concept to a payware one.
Last edited by JBaymore on Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ermias » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:31 am

John, this looks really great. Even if I may not afford to buy it, I still can't wait to see its demo if they have one. At the same time it is good to know that a rival is coming towards PM's "monopoly" which will gradually, I hope, will make the prices go down a little. Let's hope...at least. At the moment I am quite happy with my Free FD.
Thankyou for letting us know at the new years time!!!!
Regards, ermias

ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JBaymore » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:10 am

Last edited by JBaymore on Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BAW19 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:01 pm

Hi all, I know this thread is about FreeFD but since that's no longer in production I can recommend http://www.cockpitware.com/index.html. It's free, it's in current development and it can be run remotely across a network.

There's another post somewhere in here that references this software but it's such a great find - not to mention a perfect
BAW19
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JBaymore » Tue May 01, 2007 9:50 am

[b][size=16]READING THIS?
Last edited by JBaymore on Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby JBaymore » Sun May 20, 2007 8:45 am

[quote]This is not any kind of CONFIRMED information.... just a supposition I have based on some various references which I have found in looking around the net a bit........ BUT..........

I THINK that I have discovered where Don LaFontaine (author of the FreeFD software) has been putting his programming efforts of late:

http://www.elliesystems.com/

So if this is actually his website ....... it looks like he has shifted from the whole freeware concept to a payware one.
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby JSpahn » Sun May 20, 2007 9:07 am

Looks like the Entegra Avionics has a moving map diaplay. Hmm wonder how much it will cost? I wouldnt mind buying into his products, I hop the price is right!
JSpahn
Major
Major

Next

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups