beginning of my homebre cockpit project

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

beginning of my homebre cockpit project

Postby Vchat20 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:45 pm

ok. decided to make a start on my homebrew cockpit project. I would like to have something that resembles a 777 cockpit as thats what I fly 99.9% of the time.

I have 2 computers. one is the current one which runs fs2004, but i cant have it be integrated into the system. what I figured is I just use the tower alone for the cockpit, basically have the required connections to the cockpit stick out the back and I just move the tower from here in the dining room to where I have the cockpit and connect all the wires. the other computer I have no idea whther it works or not. i still need to put the power supply back together. it runs @ 333mhz, has 160MB ram total, and will either un windows 98 or 2000 on a 3GB drive. i do have a nic available for it, but hoping I can direct connect betwen usb if possible since I have 4 open usb ports available on this computer. I have 2 monitors to go with that computer but only one video card and I have the usual keyboard and mouse. that is pretty much what I have available along with the occasional peices of electronics lying around. for example my mom has an old CB radio that no longer works which has the LCD, switches, and knobs intact which are free at my disposal.

I have no idea where im gonna start but i feel that basic constrction of the non-electric hardware is going to be a good start.

EDIT: btw, I did some searching on ebay and came up with these bargains for joysticks: http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/sear ... sicSearch= . are the logitech's listed there good bargains for their current bids or are those cheapie joysticks?
Last edited by Vchat20 on Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vchat20
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: beginning of my homebre cockpit project

Postby Vchat20 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:40 am

also, I thought id add that id like to have this as closed as possible. hopefully have it be a 2 seater and a door in the back between the 2 seats. basically have it simulate a real 777 s much as possible. it will most likely just have the controls and displays that are on the overhead panel and main panel though.

also, if I start woring on this and get really ahead in it by next summer, its going to need to be a modular cockpit. because we have had plans to move next summer so I dont need this ting to be completely buitl and then have to tea it apart peice by peice just to move.

im gonna try and get myself a copy of cad and work on some designs.
Vchat20
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Vchat20 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:25 am

ok. so far i have gotten myself a trial copy of autocad for now. but now im stuck on dimension.s I have no clue what the dimensions are for real 777's, can someone help out here?

EDIT: well, autocad was diffiult.  now i guess im just gonna go by just written out dimensions if I can get any. so far ive got a 7x7 cube on isometric paper with a 3x6 door in the back and the start of an oddly shaped overhead console. i am also trying to get access to the virtal tour of a 777 cockpit which is available on the boeing site. hopefully that will hep some.
Last edited by Vchat20 on Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vchat20
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JBaymore » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:00 am

Vchat,

To find layouts...... search "cockpits" on Google.
Last edited by JBaymore on Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Vchat20 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:22 pm

ok. drew up a basic archtectual model of what im looking to build. main panel and overhead panel will be in the obvious positions.

Last edited by Vchat20 on Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vchat20
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Vchat20 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:28 am

ok. well, seems that i may be back in business. i managed to get my other computer running last night by slightly lowering the angle of the power supply in the case so its not exactly flush against the back. so far ive managed to get it running for a continuous 9 hours. i may be able to get it running longer. right now its running windows 2000 pro like a dream but i can get it running 98 if required. only thing i can find wrong with any part on it is the keyboard. the 6 key (not numpad) is messed up. i press it and nothing happens. besides that everything seems in working order. i still have yet to do any construction work but hope to maybe get to work on some electronic work as soon as I can get my hand on some toggle switches.

btw i have still yet to get some cockpit dimensions for the 777. and investigating the boeing site indicates that they cant provide any of this information to me. so, if anyone has some resources for this, id be happy.
Vchat20
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups