making use of real guages

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

making use of real guages

Postby Vchat20 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:16 am

i know glass cockpits would be loads easier, but to make things look more real, is there a way you can rig up real life guages to work with fsuipc?
Vchat20
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: making use of real guages

Postby Smoke2much » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:47 am

You would need to get the FSUIPC data to be fed to the guages in a form that it could understand.  I honestly don't know how this would be done but I would imagine that the altimeter could be run from a small vacuum pump....

Good luck, I think you may find cost to be a limiting factor here.

Will
Who switched the lights off?
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby JBaymore » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:49 am

VChat,

Unless you are "rolling in dough"...... you will likely find that the best route to go is having a lot of the stuff as "glass cockpit".

Or if you are a real soldering iron jockey...... you can likely cobble up the interfaces and electronics yourself for less than those that have to buy pre-built stuff.  But that still will take a pile of IC's and components that cost a bit.

The "already built" interface cards that can "drive" stand alone gauges that are either made out of the "real thing" with added servo motors or are built to LOOK like the real thing...... start at a minimum of about $250 for just the basic interface card.  A single gauge with servo motors will then ruin about $100 and up to add to the card.

The most typical interface in use for cockpits is the EPIC card..... and those are QUITE expensive.  But they will do a LOT and can add a lot of realism.  But you'd be pushing a grand in a heartbeat with those cards.

So..... the first step is setting the sights on what is a reasonable possibility for you.  Some people are spending upwards of $30,000 on these wonderful projects that you see on the web  ;).

You can do it for a lot, lot less...... but not with "exact realism" down to the details.

best,

.................john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Vchat20 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:56 am

ouch. guess i am better off running a glass cockpit system. but that brings up another issue. what about the curvyness of the monitor and better yet the front panel. wont those just get in the way or what?
Vchat20
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups