King Air

Only for Genuine FS fanatics! Taking this hobby from Real to Surreal? Or maybe just combining 4 hobbies into 1 ;)

King Air

Postby ermias » Thu May 10, 2018 12:11 pm

Hi All,

This section of the forum seems to be quiet for a long time. I have been working on home made B737 for a while. I also have been working on a King Air in parallel. Main panel is from real king air 350? (based on the seller). The other panels are from GoFlight technologies. I have a lot of them collected over the years. I sold all my Saitek panels keeping the backlit information panel (to be used on the top of the glare shield) and bought more panels from GoFlight.

This one is a lot easier to build compared to the 737 as most of the material is ready made. I still have to finish the main instrument panel box and buy suitable screens for the gauges. The black part behind the panel is just dark project card board.
The middle part of the panel has 3D printed Garmin 530 and Collins radio panels to be built and interfaced using Arduino Mega cards.
For the display I have three 20" inch monitors connected using TripleHead2Go. Any feedback welcome.

Thanks,
ermias

ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: King Air

Postby Flacke » Thu May 10, 2018 4:42 pm

Thats terrific. Please keep us informed of your progress if you can. I would love to have that Panel. I would use the King Air to travel the World and visit countries that I have never been to in real life. The King Air climbs well to good cruise alts and it has the range and speed to be an excellent travel airplane. Its also just plain fun to fly. I wish I had your skills <S>.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby ermias » Thu May 10, 2018 7:56 pm

Flacke wrote:Thats terrific. Please keep us informed of your progress if you can. I would love to have that Panel. I would use the King Air to travel the World and visit countries that I have never been to in real life. The King Air climbs well to good cruise alts and it has the range and speed to be an excellent travel airplane. Its also just plain fun to fly. I wish I had your skills <S>.

Thanks for the comment. I have always liked King Air. It has never lost its popularity and still no rival competitors in that level. I also think only few crashed compared to the numbers built and that its launch in the 60's.

I will post pictures whenever I make changes.
ermias,

ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pete » Fri May 11, 2018 1:51 am

Very (amazingly) impressive!!

Would be great to see this progress to completion!!
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ermias » Fri May 11, 2018 8:03 am

pete wrote:Very (amazingly) impressive!!

Would be great to see this progress to completion!!

Thanks! Yes, that is the wish of every sim builder isn't' that? This one, unlike my other project, definitely will be finished sooner.

I will have to do the following three major things:
1-Finish the radios and the gps by either buying or building them. The other alternative I saw was wiring the rotaries and push buttons to the cards and use a screen behind them to display the frequencies and the gps map. It seems easier that way, but less appealing.
2- I have 3D files the the panel gauges to be printed.
3- Get monitors for the MIP
4- Find reliable self powered USB hubs for the installed 16 GF panels. I already have 16 panels and
5- I have 7 GF 145s and two Gf RP48 panels which I want to assign functions relevant to king air via go flight software or fsuipc and use them as overhead panel.

I already have 2 CH yokes, 2CH Pedals and three 21"monitors with tripleHead2go. So that is covered

The rest will take sometime, but possible.

ermias,

ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Roypcox » Fri May 11, 2018 10:55 am

You sir are a very blessed man with you talents, I am very proud for you. Please keep us posted on your wonderful project!!! Roy
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby jphespe » Fri May 11, 2018 11:28 am

Unbelievable!! I too wish I had the time to undertake such a project. Any chance that you could obtain some of the instruments from aviation surplus providers? I look forward to following your progress. Best of luck to you.

Regards,
Jim
jphespe
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ermias » Sat May 12, 2018 11:24 am

jphespe wrote:Unbelievable!! I too wish I had the time to undertake such a project. Any chance that you could obtain some of the instruments from aviation surplus providers? I look forward to following your progress. Best of luck to you.

Regards,
Jim

Hi,
It is hard to find, but at the same time interfacing them to flightsim is not my skill. But I am thinking. So far I have gotten the ones below. Some one has promised me to 3D design King Air yokes. There are some on eBay, but very expensive.

Thanks,
ermias

ermias
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Home Cockpits and Setups